Edesur Blackouts

A

AlterEgo

computer translated:

Edesur circuit affected by out of service plants

Dominican Association of the Electric Industry said that national production exceeds the demand of the population

Joaquín Caraballo -12/09/2019, 10:59 AM

The blackouts continue to wreak havoc in different sectors of the Dominican Republic. Issue that becomes contradictory when the Dominican Association of the Electric Industry (ADIE) understands that the production of national electricity exceeds the demand of the population.

The Southern Electricity Distribution Company ( Edesur ) reported Thursday that five (5) generating plants are currently out of service, representing 554 megawatts, which has affected the service to its customers. The distributor did not indicate which plants are out of service.

Citizens are complaining on social networks and the different communication channels about the long hours of blackouts they are receiving in their sectors, despite paying for the service. And they ensure that the invoices continue to arrive equal or greater.

The ADIE recently reported that currently the national electricity system's electricity generation park has 2,970 megawatts of available capacity to supply all of the demand declared by electricity distribution companies.

Based on the behavior of the electrical system in 2018, whose data is offered by the Coordinating Body (OC), the ADIE prepared a photograph of the entire power generation park nationwide, which evidenced that there is a surplus of energy 254 megawatts available if the maximum demand registered by the country which reached 2,700 megawatts is taken into account.

According to the information provided by the ADIE, these 2,970 megawatts correspond to the installed capacity of both thermal, renewable and hydroelectric plants, which are available and operating in the system. However, the entity said that 67 megawatts of energy are not available, while another 270 could enter the system if appropriate market conditions apply.

On Wednesday (yesterday) Antonio Cruz Rojas, executive vice president of the National Council of Merchants and Entrepreneurs of the Dominican Republic (Conacerd), said that in 2018 the blackouts represented more than RD $ 30,000 million and "continues to increase because the blackouts continue." "And I want them to know that as long as there are more blackouts for us the cost is higher because we are damaged products that must be refrigerated."

https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...tado-por-plantas-fuera-de-servicio-GF14116231

B

bob saunders

Edenor has been giving us long blackouts as well from Tuesday this week.

E

etolw

This situation with generators out of service means blackouts at Edenorte today, here in Cabarete as well as other regions.

From Edenorte

Power generation deficit due to service output generating plants

SANTIAGO.- Several electricity generating plants are outside the national energy system, #EdenorteRD reported on Thursday, a situation it said affects the service it offers to its customers.

The energy entity said the energy generation deficit has caused the interruption of the electricity service in an unusual way in its concession area, scattered in the 14 provinces of Cibao.

In particular, EDENORTE Dominicana highlighted that the interruptions generated by said generation deficit affect the 24-hour or Class A circuits.

R

Riva_31

EdeEste doing the same thing, my circuit only used to have 3 hrs black out a day, now increased to 9 hrs and sometimes more a day, yesterday was from 2:30 to 8:30 I went to sleep at 11:00 pm and not sure what time they give us anohter one because 6:00 am no electricity when I wake up, came back for less than a minute at 6:35 and said good by inmediatly. dont know what we will have to do.

C

Cdn_Gringo

In a place where the electricity is off that often for that long, just an inverter and batteries may not be the best option. That type of frequent drain will wear out the batteries much faster than on an A circuit where the power disappears only once a week for a significant period of time.

Tough choice. If you own the property and plan to stay there, install solar supplemented with a wind turbine or two. Otherwise, get yourself a generator that you can fire up to keep your inverter batteries from having to work too hard.

R

Riva_31

In a place where the electricity is off that often for that long, just an inverter and batteries may not be the best option. That type of frequent drain will wear out the batteries much faster than on an A circuit where the power disappears only once a week for a significant period of time.

Tough choice. If you own the property and plan to stay there, install solar supplemented with a wind turbine or two. Otherwise, get yourself a generator that you can fire up to keep your inverter batteries from having to work too hard.

Im renting, I has been thinking in the option of solar panel but maybe one day I will wake up and they will be missing im sure, so only resist untill come back to 3 hrs black out.

C

Cdn_Gringo

In that case, I'd probably get a portable gas generator (hopefully a somewhat quiet one) so that I could keep the fridge, a TV, internet/cable and a plug in light running during those prolonged outages. While a major p.i.a., these events are a bit more tolerable if you do not have to worry about opening the fridge/freezer to get ice and a cold beverage while you sit and twiddle your thumbs.

H

Harleysrock

We had 24/7 power for the last 4 years at least but the last month it’s been out almost daily for a few hours here in Gaspar Hernandez. I guess we will have to buy another invertor that the salt air will kill in 3 months. Damn was liking that power all the time!

R

Riva_31

I got my Electric bill and all blackouts didnt reflect a discount in the amount, that I call public Thief