Snail Mail to U.S. ?

L

Lucas61

Hello all,

I must send a packet of original documents to the U.S. But how to do that?

As I have been walking the streets for, lo, these ten years, I have not seen any DHL office, to name one possibility.

Is there an international mail service that folk agree is the best to send stuff from the D.R. to the U.S. ? (With tracking, etc.)

Stay cool in the heat.

A

Asan

I would use FedEx or another like it. I have also sent using the correo nacional and it took a while but arrived safely.

C

Cdn_Gringo

If it absolutely has to get there in a day or two, use FedEx, UPS, DHL etc. If it can take a while (a couple of weeks) and the documents can be replaced if the package is lost, then you can use the DR Postal system registered mail and it will be cheaper.

If using a courier, be sure to use one of their document envelopes - the price is cheaper as opposed to your own envelope at standard package rates.

S

SKY

Don't even think about using the Dominican Postal system to mail original documents to the US. Ridiculous, just use Fedex, DHL, etc. This way it is sure to get there. You want to sweat out weeks to save 30 or 40 US?

L

leon486

I sent some tax returns using INPOSDOM, they got there... eventually.

Took about two weeks and I got a tracking number. I paid about 200 pesos.

C

cobraboy

I send small packaged INPOSDOM, less than 1lb., and they take 14-21 days to arrive via registered mail. I think the charge is RD$1200 or so.

So far nothing has been lost. I would not send any valuable that way, however.

S

SKY

I send small packaged INPOSDOM, less than 1lb., and they take 14-21 days to arrive via registered mail. I think the charge is RD$1200 or so.

So far nothing has been lost. I would not send any valuable that way, however.

For about $15 more or less you could have used Fedex, DHL, etc. without the hassle and the 14-21 days.

C

Celt202

DHL Santo Domingo

DHL Sarasota Express Corporate Office
Sarasota 26

DHL Express Service Point
Agora Mall

DHL Express Service Point
Calle Santiago 369
Gazcue

Boots Start Walkin'

Last edited:
C

cobraboy

For about $15 more or less you could have used Fedex, DHL, etc. without the hassle and the 14-21 days.
The cheapest FedEx I have seen for an envelope is US$65 or RD$3400.

S

SKY

The cheapest FedEx I have seen for an envelope is US$65 or RD$3400.

DHL is cheaper than that for sure. Same reliability. Also UPS works well here for less.

I forgot to add that these companies charge less for 2nd or 3rd day delivery.

J

JDJones

DHL is cheaper than that for sure. Same reliability. Also UPS works well here for less.

DHL has been the best for me as well, followed by UPS in a close second. FEDEX is a distant third.

I rarely do personal shipments but DHL would be my first choice.

L

Lucas61

DHL has been the best for me as well, followed by UPS in a close second. FEDEX is a distant third.

I rarely do personal shipments but DHL would be my first choice.

OP Sum-up: As it turns out, I went to Sambil Mall in Santo Domingo. There is a business there, Mailboxes, Etc., which you must enter from the rear entrance of the mall. The staff are very efficient.

The offer the services of DHL and UPS. They no longer do service with FedEx. The staff person felt that there was no difference in quality of service between DHL and UPS but that DHL was cheaper. Per her recommendation (obvious choice) and your recommendation here, I chose DHL.

I sent a packet of documents and the fee was RD$ 2300.00. I noticed that I was charged for one pound. Of course, tracking was included. One glitch was a function of United States Postal Service and not of DHL. I could not send my documents to my destination in California via DHL because neither DHL nor UPS accept deliveries to P.O. boxes. I then had to send my packet to a family member in the U.S., who then needed to re-mail it via USPS.

The arrival from Santo Domingo to Atlanta was less than 24 hours! I was very happy and will use both DHL and Mailboxes, Etc. again. BTW, you must bring your passport (or other identification).

S

SKY

EPS and most of the other mail services in the DR will send packages anywhere in the World with most any of the big companies. FEDEX, UPS, DHL, etc.

D

Derfish

EPS and most of the other mail services in the DR will send packages anywhere in the World with most any of the big companies. FEDEX, UPS, DHL, etc.

Yeah at a cost of $75.00 for a few ounces! I had an ATM card in the USA. DHL and FEDEX and UPS each wanted over $50.00 USD to bring it tome. Mailboxes etc said I could open an account foir free, and they would charge me 150 pesos for an envelope. When it got there they only charged me 88 pesos. When I opened the envelope in front of the girl she said that cards such as that were prohibited. I assured her that I Would Remember that next time,and left with it.

R

Riva_31

Hello all,

I must send a packet of original documents to the U.S. But how to do that?

As I have been walking the streets for, lo, these ten years, I have not seen any DHL office, to name one possibility.

Is there an international mail service that folk agree is the best to send stuff from the D.R. to the U.S. ? (With tracking, etc.)

Stay cool in the heat.

Fedex handle packages of DHL here In Dominican Republic, so if you wants to send something with DHL you have to go or call Fedex, also UPS give services here.

Fedex/DHL 809-565-3636 or
1-809-200-3138 (Toll free)
https://www.fedex.com/es-do/customer-support.html

UPS - 809-549-2777
1-809-200-5177 (domestic toll free)
https://www.ups.com/do/en/help-center/contact.page?

L

Lucas61

Fedex handle packages of DHL here In Dominican Republic, so if you wants to send something with DHL you have to go or call Fedex, also UPS give services here.

Fedex/DHL 809-565-3636 or
1-809-200-3138 (Toll free)
https://www.fedex.com/es-do/customer-support.html

UPS - 809-549-2777
1-809-200-5177 (domestic toll free)
https://www.ups.com/do/en/help-center/contact.page?

You clicked "Dislike" for my post? What the hell? This topic is 100% non-judgemental. A "dislike" on a cultural matter, easy to understand. But a mail service??