Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So what’s your favorite thing about the DR?

I was just curious as a local, what attracts people from abroad to the DR. Is it the coffee, the beaches, the hotels, food, the people? What’s your favorite thing about DR maybe it’s something you can’t seem to find back home. I know some of you just came because of work, but I’m sure something here stole your heart. (Besides that trigueñita that always dances in the colmado).

For me I think it’s the sense of freedom here, how “you’re on your own”, in other countries you even need expensive permits or licenses to do the same things. I know it might sound horrible, but for example I went to a very exciting cave a few years ago, before you go rappelling into the cave you have to ride a horse there, I rode a horse when I was like 7 for like 2mins and that was it. The guide tells us how to ride them, helps you up and you’re galloping, no big deal.

I went to upstate NY a few years ago and for an went horse riding on a trail, no high slopes, nothing crazy. Horses were only allowed to go walking speed with strict supervision from the three guides.
    For both activities I had to sign a waiver.

That’s how the DR is in general. In another countries if some accident happens to you, it’s generally someone else's fault, here not so much.

I told this to a US friend of mine before he visited, he didn’t understand and was a little worried. After leaving two weeks later after leaving he wrote to me out of the blue and told me that he understood what I meant about the “sense of freedom”.

I’m not going to ask what’s your least favorite thing, everybody and their mother knows it’s traffic.

2. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the focus on family here.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

4. Likes Caonabo, RayO, dot liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

An inexpensive beer on the beach with friends.

6. Likes RayO, BermudaRum liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Far and away the best thing about the DR is the natural beauty of the Dominicanas.

8. Likes JDJones, USA DOC liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Reaching into my pocket to solve most every problem that arises.....................

10. Likes ljmesg, ExDR, RDKNIGHT, Conchman liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the fact that you can openly admire a female and it is appreciated (usually). I like that everybody at the bank knows my name and that I have a personal acct manager. I like that the streets are always filled with life.
    My least favorite thing varies from day to day.

12. Likes RayO, drstock, John Boyter liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

For me the weather tops the list. If you have been through a winter in the Canadian prairies you will understand

14. Likes RayO, thompstr, Auryn, bob saunders liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leon486 View Post
    I was just curious as a local, what attracts people from abroad to the DR. Is it the coffee, the beaches, the hotels, food, the people? What’s your favorite thing about DR maybe it’s something you can’t seem to find back home. I know some of you just came because of work, but I’m sure something here stole your heart. (Besides that trigueñita that always dances in the colmado).

For me I think it’s the sense of freedom here, how “you’re on your own”, in other countries you even need expensive permits or licenses to do the same things. I know it might sound horrible, but for example I went to a very exciting cave a few years ago, before you go rappelling into the cave you have to ride a horse there, I rode a horse when I was like 7 for like 2mins and that was it. The guide tells us how to ride them, helps you up and you’re galloping, no big deal.

I went to upstate NY a few years ago and for an went horse riding on a trail, no high slopes, nothing crazy. Horses were only allowed to go walking speed with strict supervision from the three guides.
    For both activities I had to sign a waiver.

That’s how the DR is in general. In another countries if some accident happens to you, it’s generally someone else's fault, here not so much.

I told this to a US friend of mine before he visited, he didn’t understand and was a little worried. After leaving two weeks later after leaving he wrote to me out of the blue and told me that he understood what I meant about the “sense of freedom”.

I’m not going to ask what’s your least favorite thing, everybody and their mother knows it’s traffic.
    Interesting that you mention freedom. I took a bus back in May from SD to Dajabon and got to talking with the driver. He's 24 with a wife and a kid. His family owns the bus. He came back from New York to stay here in the RD.

His rationale was exactly like yours. Much more freedom. Everything is regulated in the USA and I definitely see his point.

As for me, I like the climate, the low cost of living, and the churches. I'm still feeling out the people because as a gringo, it seems to me that I'm viewed as a walking ATM, even in the church. I have to establish boundaries which I would prefer not to do because they can become walls.

16. Likes RayO liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I like that the streets are always filled with life.

Bob, This is also my favorite thing.

18. Likes Russell liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

@melphis I don’t know how different Canada is to New England in the US, but I liked the snow/cold. Snowboarding was fun as hell.

You can always put more layers on, when it’s hot and you reach your underwear, there’s nothing more you can take off.

I guess What I like is the change of seasons. Here you only get “Tres veranos y un infierno”.

20. Likes Caonabo liked this post
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast