So what’s your favorite thing about the DR?

L

leon486

I was just curious as a local, what attracts people from abroad to the DR. Is it the coffee, the beaches, the hotels, food, the people? What’s your favorite thing about DR maybe it’s something you can’t seem to find back home. I know some of you just came because of work, but I’m sure something here stole your heart. (Besides that trigueñita that always dances in the colmado).

For me I think it’s the sense of freedom here, how “you’re on your own”, in other countries you even need expensive permits or licenses to do the same things. I know it might sound horrible, but for example I went to a very exciting cave a few years ago, before you go rappelling into the cave you have to ride a horse there, I rode a horse when I was like 7 for like 2mins and that was it. The guide tells us how to ride them, helps you up and you’re galloping, no big deal.

I went to upstate NY a few years ago and for an went horse riding on a trail, no high slopes, nothing crazy. Horses were only allowed to go walking speed with strict supervision from the three guides.
For both activities I had to sign a waiver.

That’s how the DR is in general. In another countries if some accident happens to you, it’s generally someone else's fault, here not so much.

I told this to a US friend of mine before he visited, he didn’t understand and was a little worried. After leaving two weeks later after leaving he wrote to me out of the blue and told me that he understood what I meant about the “sense of freedom”.

I’m not going to ask what’s your least favorite thing, everybody and their mother knows it’s traffic.

Z

zoomzx11

Far and away the best thing about the DR is the natural beauty of the Dominicanas.

S

SKY

Reaching into my pocket to solve most every problem that arises.....................

B

bob saunders

I like the fact that you can openly admire a female and it is appreciated (usually). I like that everybody at the bank knows my name and that I have a personal acct manager. I like that the streets are always filled with life.
My least favorite thing varies from day to day.

M

melphis

For me the weather tops the list. If you have been through a winter in the Canadian prairies you will understand

N

NanSanPedro

I was just curious as a local, what attracts people from abroad to the DR. Is it the coffee, the beaches, the hotels, food, the people? What’s your favorite thing about DR maybe it’s something you can’t seem to find back home. I know some of you just came because of work, but I’m sure something here stole your heart. (Besides that trigueñita that always dances in the colmado).

For me I think it’s the sense of freedom here, how “you’re on your own”, in other countries you even need expensive permits or licenses to do the same things. I know it might sound horrible, but for example I went to a very exciting cave a few years ago, before you go rappelling into the cave you have to ride a horse there, I rode a horse when I was like 7 for like 2mins and that was it. The guide tells us how to ride them, helps you up and you’re galloping, no big deal.

I went to upstate NY a few years ago and for an went horse riding on a trail, no high slopes, nothing crazy. Horses were only allowed to go walking speed with strict supervision from the three guides.
For both activities I had to sign a waiver.

That’s how the DR is in general. In another countries if some accident happens to you, it’s generally someone else's fault, here not so much.

I told this to a US friend of mine before he visited, he didn’t understand and was a little worried. After leaving two weeks later after leaving he wrote to me out of the blue and told me that he understood what I meant about the “sense of freedom”.

I’m not going to ask what’s your least favorite thing, everybody and their mother knows it’s traffic.

Interesting that you mention freedom. I took a bus back in May from SD to Dajabon and got to talking with the driver. He's 24 with a wife and a kid. His family owns the bus. He came back from New York to stay here in the RD.

His rationale was exactly like yours. Much more freedom. Everything is regulated in the USA and I definitely see his point.

As for me, I like the climate, the low cost of living, and the churches. I'm still feeling out the people because as a gringo, it seems to me that I'm viewed as a walking ATM, even in the church. I have to establish boundaries which I would prefer not to do because they can become walls.

L

leon486

@melphis I don’t know how different Canada is to New England in the US, but I liked the snow/cold. Snowboarding was fun as hell.

You can always put more layers on, when it’s hot and you reach your underwear, there’s nothing more you can take off.

I guess What I like is the change of seasons. Here you only get “Tres veranos y un infierno”.

J

JDJones

Living here I enjoy being a big fish in a little pond as opposed to being a little fish in a big ocean in the states.

L

leon486

Interesting that you mention freedom. I took a bus back in May from SD to Dajabon and got to talking with the driver. He's 24 with a wife and a kid. His family owns the bus. He came back from New York to stay here in the RD.

His rationale was exactly like yours. Much more freedom. Everything is regulated in the USA and I definitely see his point.

As for me, I like the climate, the low cost of living, and the churches. I'm still feeling out the people because as a gringo, it seems to me that I'm viewed as a walking ATM, even in the church. I have to establish boundaries which I would prefer not to do because they can become walls.

Funny that you mention you were “talking to the Bus driver” the last time I took Greyhound there was a yellow line and a sign that said “Do not talk to the driver”.

I think the asking for money is an element that shocks most foreigners, it happens to Dominicans too. I have a few lower income friends that occasionally ask for money. I’ve just told them no and that’s the end of it. If you never ask people to lend you money then you shouldn’t be lending either. Almost all of the people I know don’t ask me for money, they are also Mid-class and above.

J

JDJones

Funny that you mention you were “talking to the Bus driver” the last time I took Greyhound there was a yellow line and a sign that said “Do not talk to the driver”.

I think the asking for money is an element that shocks most foreigners, it happens to Dominicans too. I have a few lower income friends that occasionally ask for money. I’ve just told them no and that’s the end of it. If you never ask people to lend you money then you shouldn’t be lending either. Almost all of the people I know don’t ask me for money, they are also Mid-class and above.

Here the bus drivers always seem to have the prettiest girl on the bus sitting in the front passenger seat.

N

NY-DR Commuter

. . . That’s how the DR is in general. In another countries if some accident happens to you, it’s generally someone else's fault, here not so much.

A little help on this one please . . .

T

thompstr

I'm from Ontario Canada
Freedom or since about it,we come down to dr yearly as a group of 4 5
We rent motorcycles drive up to mountains for lunch get out of the tourist areas meet locals have a beer DR people are very friendly the weather,fresh air
It's up to you to make your experience in DR enjoyable
Can't sit in a resort for 14 days get out
Traveling in mountains handing out toys to kids seeing them smile
Could go on and on

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

M

melphis

@melphis I don’t know how different Canada is to New England in the US, but I liked the snow/cold. Snowboarding was fun as hell.

You can always put more layers on, when it’s hot and you reach your underwear, there’s nothing more you can take off.

I guess What I like is the change of seasons. Here you only get “Tres veranos y un infierno”.

We enjoyed the Canadian winters to a point. We skied, skated, tobogganed, I had 11 snowmobiles at one time but once it got to minus 25 and colder all the enjoyment left the room.
Its pretty much impossible to do anything once it gets to minus 40. You can't even barbecue your food as propane turns back to a solid and natural gas can't get hot enough.
Although I agree with everyone's favorite things and they are all great and enjoyable (bribing cops is still fascinating), the weather still floats to the top form me.

C

charlise

For me the weather tops the list. If you have been through a winter in the Canadian prairies you will understand

I think a winter in Québec is even worst than in the prairies... So imagine 50. I was fed up of 8 months of cold out of 12 so I moved to the DR for the weather. I also love that feeling of liberty and freedom. Been here 8 years now and don't regret it.. or maybe just a little bit in the heat to summers... sometimes I even wish for a snow storm...