Modem

J

jaguarbob

Any suggesrions for modem for my internet here in samana???
Robert

C

Cdn_Gringo

The one supplied by your internet provider?

If you wish to use your own, best to check and see what equipment specs are compatible with your ISP and if they will allow you to use your own modem to connect to their network.

C

chico bill

The one supplied by your internet provider?

If you wish to use your own, best to check and see what equipment specs are compatible with your ISP and if they will allow you to use your own modem to connect to their network.

I connected a Securifi Almond WIFi system. Just set it alongside or on top of your ISP provided router and you can get 3 other WiFi connections + the one from your ISP router. That way each person in the home can have their own.
What I like about it is it easy to use, no bridge network to setup and it never goes down (unless the power goes out)
Often the ISP's Huawei router needs to be reset to get the wireless working again, but with the Securifi connected via a short cat 5 cable you don't have to worry the internet still keeps coming through the cable even when the Huawei wifi has stopped connecting.
Get it on Amazon. It has worked flawlessly for 3 years.
Get the black one for $89, not the 3 for $149. You only need one.

https://www.amazon.com/Securifi-AL3...c&pf_rd_r=4XGD2RKMJDA6WE2ZDTXB&qid=1568553828

C

Cdn_Gringo

I run my own router as well. The OP is asking about a modem though. I have to assume they are referring to the equipment that bridges the cable coming out of the wall to the router that segments the local area network.

Two completely different pieces of equipment although modems supplied by the ISP these days usually do contain a cheapy builtin router.

To use a privately owned modem, the ISP will need to program their server to recognize the device and talk to it. Thus the need to ensure what one wishes to use is compatible and the ISP is prepared to allow it to be used.

C

chico bill

I run my own router as well. The OP is asking about a modem though. I have to assume they are referring to the equipment that bridges the cable coming out of the wall to the router that segments the local area network.

Two completely different pieces of equipment although modems supplied by the ISP these days usually do contain a cheapy builtin router.

To use a privately owned modem, the ISP will need to program their server to recognize the device and talk to it. Thus the need to ensure what one wishes to use is compatible and the ISP is prepared to allow it to be used.

They just have to allow the Mac Address to be accepted in their switch. Problem is that will probably lead to issues at some point when they don't recognize it.
I think the ISPs will sell and upscale mode/router for more $$.

The Huawei modems work OK, but as routers they are among the worst, and that is why I bought the Securifi to be my router

C

Cdn_Gringo

I agree that's why I said the ISP will need to tell the equipment to talk to a privately own modem. ISPs like to be able to program and diagnose their equipment remotely and those doing this job may not be familiar with equipment other than what they supply to customers.

If it's going to be a hassle, just take their modem, make sure you get the admin password for the box so you can login and disable the router's functions and use your own router as you, I and many others do.

R

Riva_31

You can use your own router as long as you know how to configure it to work with your ISP, if you have problem with your own router they wont touch it, or do anything as is not the one that they provide and can not be reset for them remotly if you are having some problems with it.

The Huawei router they provide sucks, signal is not good, and usually you have to turn off and off to make it work. TP-Link is a very good one, I would recommend any body that can use another one to do it, will make more easy their lifes.

L

ljmesg

Had a $150 Nighthawk and replaced it with a $30 NEXXIT I bought in Sosua.

Works perfectly along with aTP Link Extender in the bedroom.

I think these products sold in The US struggle here.

To link a router to your ISP is not that difficult unless you are software illiterate.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Your router doesn't connect to the ISP, it connects to your cable/Fiber modem which is the equipment that connects directly to the ISP's network. If the ISP doesn't recognize the modem, then no internet service even if you have correctly configured a router. In this case all you'll have is a functioning LAN (if you have more than one computer) with no external access to anything not connected to the router either by ethernet or wifi.

J

jaguarbob

I have great internet service here in el limon but providers modem does not have any external outputs for my router,so i am just adking if any good modern modem will work.
Robert

L

ljmesg

Your router doesn't connect to the ISP, it connects to your cable/Fiber modem which is the equipment that connects directly to the ISP's network. If the ISP doesn't recognize the modem, then no internet service even if you have correctly configured a router. In this case all you'll have is a functioning LAN (if you have more than one computer) with no external access to anything not connected to the router either by ethernet or wifi.

Wrong. I have no cable or fiber. My router is connected to my external wifi antennae. The antennae has software that works with the router. Technically my router is connected to my ISP with my antennae in the middle. Thanks though.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Yes it can work but that'll depend on if your ISP will allow it to work on their network. A modem supplied by an ISP without any RJ45 plugs is unheard of at least by me - I have never seen one.

Can you post a picture of the front and back of your modem?

C

Cdn_Gringo

lj we know you are special. You pettiness is telling. Sorry for whatever I said to become the focus of your ire.

L

ljmesg

lj we know you are special. You pettiness is telling. Sorry for whatever I said to become the focus of your ire.
No pettiness. My system is completely different than the one you described.

Pettiness would be you posting right behind my initial post here. It's even better when the information you posted was completely incorrect.

C

Cdn_Gringo

I am confident that the majority of people on DR1 that get their internet from their cable TV provider or fiber service from Claro will have a setup similar to what I described. Those that use a cellular service for their internet, they will have something different and that doesn't negate the general advice offered.

Since that advice clearly doesn't pertain to you or your setup, maybe just skip over it rather than acting like a dog with a bone. I am attempting to help the OP, not you as you clearly would never want my help or advice. Try not to take away from the benefits someone else might appreciate just because you've got a bone to pick.

No reply to me required. I'm about to put you on ignore, I think that's for the best.