Anyone been scammed on fb marketplace or Corotos?

B

beeza

I stumbled on an offer on fb marketplace that looked too good to be true. Usually they are.......

I'm looking for a pair of air conditioner units to replace my 12 year old ones that have been repaired one time too many. On FB there was a classified ad selling TGM 12k BTU inverter splits for 16,500 pesos each. That's nearly half price. So I sent a message on fb. The reply came to respond to a WhatsApp number. I did.

"Are these units available?"
"Yes"
"Where are you?"
"Dajabon" (the fb listing stated Santiago)
"Oh dear, I'm in Cabarete"
"No bother we will ship to you for an extra 500 pesos"
"How do we do this"
"Make a bank deposit, take a photo of the deposit slip and send it to me. I will dispatch the same day. But you will have to do it early"
"I'm sorry, I'm not going to deposit 33,000 pesos into a random account without any guarantee"
"OK, just deposit half, and you can deposit the other half when you have them."
"You know what, at the price you're quoting, it would be worth my while to take a trip to Dajabon to collect them, whats the address of your business?"
Crickets chirping! My WhatsApp number blocked!

My question is, if this is a scam that actually works, how do they think that they can get away with ripping people off if you have a transcript of the deal, name and account number?

S

SKY

You are in the DR. You deposit it and whoever has the account if you can even find him says something a lot different than what took place. So try and collect. It will just cost you even more money.

C

Cdn_Gringo

When you deposit cash into someone else's bank account, it's gone for good. There is no mechanism to withdraw or cancel those funds.

C

chico bill

If you can't lay hands on it, don't take your money out of your pocket.
Never buy a cell phone, tools or any other item unless you can drive to see it and drive away with it.

Bank deposits are a scam - 100% of the time and there must be morons still falling for it to see the ads covering Corotos & Mercado Libre

T

the gorgon

no way anybody is getting me to buy anything off those sites, unless he brings it and meets me where i want him to. i am not meeting some guy who is selling a 20k cellphone in a parking lot. what's to stop him from sticking a gun in my face?

B

beeza

I appreciate that it's a scam. It must be quite prevalent as there are so many ads out there that are too good to be true. I was just wondering why there isn't a law out there to protect the fools. Surely the recipient of the money has committed a crime and there is evidence enough to prove that?

K

Keyrez

Lots of time the people who you talk to are people who are already in jail and are communicating with others using a phone they either smuggled in or paid the guards for They obviously have accomplices though. If you want to see what a good example looks like if you go on a site like emarket and search for phones you'll find prices that dont make sense and the address will be something like located at 27 de febrero behind plaza lama so you think its in santo domingo, once you contact the person they'll be like "NO its 27 de febrero de santiago! but we are a physical store we can just ship it to you using metro" its all BS it's like some people here have said if it looks too good to be true it 100% is.

K

Keyrez

to use it as a reference i typed Samsung s10 into it and seen this

si compras 2 unidades obtienes 1 unidad gratis

WhatsApp: :::::::::::::::::: +1(762)847-0587

Huawei P30 Pro 128GB Black ....... RD$16,000
huawei mate 20 pro 128 Gb....... RD$16,000
Factory Sealed OnePlus 6 8GB RAM 128 Red, White, Mirror Black, Midnight Black....... RD$13,000
NEW Google Pixel 3 XL 128GB ......RD$13,000
Google Pixel 2 XL 64GB Black White (Unlocked) Smartphone........ RD$9,450
HTC U U11 - 64GB - Saphirblau (Ohne Simlock) Smartphone...... RD$9,450
HTC U12 128GB6GB Unlocked........ RD$9,450
Huawei mate 10 pro........ RD$9,450
Huawei P20 Pro - 128GB - Unlocked - Black - Grade ........ RD$9,450
New OnePlus 5T - 128GB - Midnight Black (Unlocked) Smartphone ........ RD$9,450
OnePlus 6T Mirror Black 128GB - Unlocked............. RD$13,000

Apple iPhone XS - 256GB - Space Grey (Unlocked).... RD$33,000
Apple iPhone Xs Max 256GB Space Gray .... RD$33,000
Apple iPhone XS Max - 512GB - Space Grey Black (Unlocked) Brand New Sealed .... RD$38,000
Apple iPhone XS Max - 512GB - Gold (Verizon) A1921 (CDMA GSM) unlocked.... RD$38,000

I'm not sure how people fall for this but the buy 2 get 1 free line should be a dead give away

M

melphis

I appreciate that it's a scam. It must be quite prevalent as there are so many ads out there that are too good to be true. I was just wondering why there isn't a law out there to protect the fools. Surely the recipient of the money has committed a crime and there is evidence enough to prove that?

The old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" seems to becoming a modern day issue. Unfortunately when these guys get vigilante justice the ones doing it get bigger penalties than the original scammers.

T

the gorgon

to use it as a reference i typed Samsung s10 into it and seen this

si compras 2 unidades obtienes 1 unidad gratis

WhatsApp: :::::::::::::::::: +1(762)847-0587

Huawei P30 Pro 128GB Black ....... RD$16,000
huawei mate 20 pro 128 Gb....... RD$16,000
Factory Sealed OnePlus 6 8GB RAM 128 Red, White, Mirror Black, Midnight Black....... RD$13,000
NEW Google Pixel 3 XL 128GB ......RD$13,000
Google Pixel 2 XL 64GB Black White (Unlocked) Smartphone........ RD$9,450
HTC U U11 - 64GB - Saphirblau (Ohne Simlock) Smartphone...... RD$9,450
HTC U12 128GB6GB Unlocked........ RD$9,450
Huawei mate 10 pro........ RD$9,450
Huawei P20 Pro - 128GB - Unlocked - Black - Grade ........ RD$9,450
New OnePlus 5T - 128GB - Midnight Black (Unlocked) Smartphone ........ RD$9,450
OnePlus 6T Mirror Black 128GB - Unlocked............. RD$13,000

Apple iPhone XS - 256GB - Space Grey (Unlocked).... RD$33,000
Apple iPhone Xs Max 256GB Space Gray .... RD$33,000
Apple iPhone XS Max - 512GB - Space Grey Black (Unlocked) Brand New Sealed .... RD$38,000
Apple iPhone XS Max - 512GB - Gold (Verizon) A1921 (CDMA GSM) unlocked.... RD$38,000

I'm not sure how people fall for this but the buy 2 get 1 free line should be a dead give away

a used OnePlus 6 is 25k. if you see a factory sealed one for 13k, run away....far away.

U

Uzin

Well, asking to deposit money is a sure no no, but even those that are a bit more genuine sellers and have a shop, people prepared to meet and show you their goods, or have a shop in PP or Santiago to go to, just advertise bullsh*t on the web. Not sure why that it is, it seems specific to 3rd world....(I have seen it in a few other countries too). I use eBay and Amazon a lot to buy various things new or 2nd hand in UK or US, but here the whole things is a sham.

They mainly put some incomplete info about the product, and/or wrong pictures, then when you ask for more info it seems it is not quite what they described to sell. Then if still you keep going, it turns out the price keeps going up as you show more interest, totally waste of time. They just can't be serious or honest - not sure maybe they think they have a gringo on the hook, so should bleed him dry... !? I have basically given up, unless it's a foreign seller and you might have at least some descent conversation and info - but then again you never know, they are sharks amongst them too. ... just forget it, and go for shops.....(or order in from USA and courier).

T

the gorgon

Well, asking to deposit money is a sure no no, but even those that are a bit more genuine sellers and have a shop, people prepared to meet and show you their goods, or have a shop in PP or Santiago to go to, just advertise bullsh*t on the web. Not sure why that it is, it seems specific to 3rd world....(I have seen it in a few other countries too). I use eBay and Amazon a lot to buy various things new or 2nd hand in UK or US, but here the whole things is a sham.

They mainly put some incomplete info about the product, and/or wrong pictures, then when you ask for more info it seems it is not quite what they described to sell. Then if still you keep going, it turns out the price keeps going up as you show more interest, totally waste of time. They just can't be serious or honest - not sure maybe they think they have a gringo on the hook, so should bleed him dry... !? I have basically given up, unless it's a foreign seller and you might have at least some descent conversation and info - but then again you never know, they are sharks amongst them too. ... just forget it, and go for shops.....(or order in from USA and courier).

my buddy bought a smartphone last Monday...9000 pesos worth of used LG V20. he is on his third one. none of them work worth a crap, and they refuse to give him his money back. they just give him another that is no better than the one before. these guys go through sites like ebay and buy C grade crud, and sell it for top dollar.

i will go on ebay, and buy it myself, Paypal. if it screws up, at least i have a chance of getting back my scratch..

C

Caonabo

Why not just purchase from a reputable, reliable, device authorized dealer such as one of the mobile providers?
As in all with life, you get what you do, or attempt to pay for.

B

beeza

Why not just purchase from a reputable, reliable, device authorized dealer such as one of the mobile providers?
As in all with life, you get what you do, or attempt to pay for.

The concept of e-commerce. Virtual shops don't pay rent or pay employees wages so their overheads are lower than shops, which means that their prices can be more competitive. Amazon and eBay have been the death knell for many a shopping mall and town centre.

If you can purchase something online and get it delivered to your home with the same customer protection cheaper than if you made the effort to go to a store to buy it, why wouldn't you?

The DR is a little behind the curve with regards to e-commerce, but I reckon it will come. I'm sure that consumer laws will be put in place to stop scammers. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any. Perhaps it's because of the ludicrous and outdated adoption of Napoleonic law that supposedly rules this country. Vis a vis, the police will not prosecute in the event of theft, you have to personally accuse and prosecute your thief.

C

Caonabo

The concept of e-commerce. Virtual shops don't pay rent or pay employees wages so their overheads are lower than shops, which means that their prices can be more competitive. Amazon and eBay have been the death knell for many a shopping mall and town centre.

If you can purchase something online and get it delivered to your home with the same customer protection cheaper than if you made the effort to go to a store to buy it, why wouldn't you?

The DR is a little behind the curve with regards to e-commerce, but I reckon it will come. I'm sure that consumer laws will be put in place to stop scammers. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any. Perhaps it's because of the ludicrous and outdated adoption of Napoleonic law that supposedly rules this country. Vis a vis, the police will not prosecute in the event of theft, you have to personally accuse and prosecute your thief.

I am very well aware of the concept of e-commerce, but that was not what I was attempting to imply.
The reputable, reliable, device authorized dealers such as one of the mobile providers (Claro/Altice) provide internet commerce services as well.
You are referring to 3rd and/or 4th party dealers selling who knows what, all in the hopes of saving a few pesos. It is common knowledge that these outlets are flooded with counterfeits and fakes.
You can Google reports of these fraudulent items that exist on the largest global e-commerce site....Amazon.
Not sure where Napoleonic law fits in when people are trying to buy items on the cheap, and then call fraud.

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017
I was looking into Corotos and found this thread. So where do we go to sell things? Anyone have success selling/buying from those sites? Selling a computer, monitor, bike, 100Watt 2-channel amplifier good for a restaurant, wood-working equipment, electric piano, bike trailer (for kids), inflatable mattress, inflatable boats etc..

Maybe we should form a marketplace to exchange for us expats?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012

I see it quite often on various sites where Dominicans are publishing the cedula of someone who ripped them off with this deposit scam.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I was looking into Corotos and found this thread. So where do we go to sell things? Anyone have success selling/buying from those sites? Selling a computer, monitor, bike, 100Watt 2-channel amplifier good for a restaurant, wood-working equipment, electric piano, bike trailer (for kids), inflatable mattress, inflatable boats etc..

Maybe we should form a marketplace to exchange for us expats?

I have used it quite often and had pretty good luck. Just gotta be careful with what you are buying and who you are dealing with.