Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone been scammed on fb marketplace or Corotos?

I stumbled on an offer on fb marketplace that looked too good to be true. Usually they are.......

I'm looking for a pair of air conditioner units to replace my 12 year old ones that have been repaired one time too many. On FB there was a classified ad selling TGM 12k BTU inverter splits for 16,500 pesos each. That's nearly half price. So I sent a message on fb. The reply came to respond to a WhatsApp number. I did.

"Are these units available?"
    "Yes"
    "Where are you?"
    "Dajabon" (the fb listing stated Santiago)
    "Oh dear, I'm in Cabarete"
    "No bother we will ship to you for an extra 500 pesos"
    "How do we do this"
    "Make a bank deposit, take a photo of the deposit slip and send it to me. I will dispatch the same day. But you will have to do it early"
    "I'm sorry, I'm not going to deposit 33,000 pesos into a random account without any guarantee"
    "OK, just deposit half, and you can deposit the other half when you have them."
    "You know what, at the price you're quoting, it would be worth my while to take a trip to Dajabon to collect them, whats the address of your business?"
    Crickets chirping! My WhatsApp number blocked!

My question is, if this is a scam that actually works, how do they think that they can get away with ripping people off if you have a transcript of the deal, name and account number?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You are in the DR. You deposit it and whoever has the account if you can even find him says something a lot different than what took place. So try and collect. It will just cost you even more money.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

When you deposit cash into someone else's bank account, it's gone for good. There is no mechanism to withdraw or cancel those funds.

4. Likes TheViking liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can't lay hands on it, don't take your money out of your pocket.
    Never buy a cell phone, tools or any other item unless you can drive to see it and drive away with it.

Bank deposits are a scam - 100% of the time and there must be morons still falling for it to see the ads covering Corotos & Mercado Libre

6. Likes TheViking liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

no way anybody is getting me to buy anything off those sites, unless he brings it and meets me where i want him to. i am not meeting some guy who is selling a 20k cellphone in a parking lot. what's to stop him from sticking a gun in my face?

8. Likes chico bill, Garyexpat, thompstr liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate that it's a scam. It must be quite prevalent as there are so many ads out there that are too good to be true. I was just wondering why there isn't a law out there to protect the fools. Surely the recipient of the money has committed a crime and there is evidence enough to prove that?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of time the people who you talk to are people who are already in jail and are communicating with others using a phone they either smuggled in or paid the guards for They obviously have accomplices though. If you want to see what a good example looks like if you go on a site like emarket and search for phones you'll find prices that dont make sense and the address will be something like located at 27 de febrero behind plaza lama so you think its in santo domingo, once you contact the person they'll be like "NO its 27 de febrero de santiago! but we are a physical store we can just ship it to you using metro" its all BS it's like some people here have said if it looks too good to be true it 100% is.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

to use it as a reference i typed Samsung s10 into it and seen this

si compras 2 unidades obtienes 1 unidad gratis

WhatsApp: :::::::::::::::::: +1(762)847-0587

Huawei P30 Pro 128GB Black ....... RD$16,000
    huawei mate 20 pro 128 Gb....... RD$16,000
    Factory Sealed OnePlus 6 8GB RAM 128 Red, White, Mirror Black, Midnight Black....... RD$13,000
    NEW Google Pixel 3 XL 128GB ......RD$13,000
    Google Pixel 2 XL 64GB Black White (Unlocked) Smartphone........ RD$9,450
    HTC U U11 - 64GB - Saphirblau (Ohne Simlock) Smartphone...... RD$9,450
    HTC U12 128GB6GB Unlocked........ RD$9,450
    Huawei mate 10 pro........ RD$9,450
    Huawei P20 Pro - 128GB - Unlocked - Black - Grade ........ RD$9,450
    New OnePlus 5T - 128GB - Midnight Black (Unlocked) Smartphone ........ RD$9,450
    OnePlus 6T Mirror Black 128GB - Unlocked............. RD$13,000

Apple iPhone XS - 256GB - Space Grey (Unlocked).... RD$33,000
    Apple iPhone Xs Max 256GB Space Gray .... RD$33,000
    Apple iPhone XS Max - 512GB - Space Grey Black (Unlocked) Brand New Sealed .... RD$38,000
    Apple iPhone XS Max - 512GB - Gold (Verizon) A1921 (CDMA GSM) unlocked.... RD$38,000

I'm not sure how people fall for this but the buy 2 get 1 free line should be a dead give away

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    I appreciate that it's a scam. It must be quite prevalent as there are so many ads out there that are too good to be true. I was just wondering why there isn't a law out there to protect the fools. Surely the recipient of the money has committed a crime and there is evidence enough to prove that?
    The old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" seems to becoming a modern day issue. Unfortunately when these guys get vigilante justice the ones doing it get bigger penalties than the original scammers.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keyrez View Post
    to use it as a reference i typed Samsung s10 into it and seen this

si compras 2 unidades obtienes 1 unidad gratis

WhatsApp: :::::::::::::::::: +1(762)847-0587

Huawei P30 Pro 128GB Black ....... RD$16,000
    huawei mate 20 pro 128 Gb....... RD$16,000
    Factory Sealed OnePlus 6 8GB RAM 128 Red, White, Mirror Black, Midnight Black....... RD$13,000
    NEW Google Pixel 3 XL 128GB ......RD$13,000
    Google Pixel 2 XL 64GB Black White (Unlocked) Smartphone........ RD$9,450
    HTC U U11 - 64GB - Saphirblau (Ohne Simlock) Smartphone...... RD$9,450
    HTC U12 128GB6GB Unlocked........ RD$9,450
    Huawei mate 10 pro........ RD$9,450
    Huawei P20 Pro - 128GB - Unlocked - Black - Grade ........ RD$9,450
    New OnePlus 5T - 128GB - Midnight Black (Unlocked) Smartphone ........ RD$9,450
    OnePlus 6T Mirror Black 128GB - Unlocked............. RD$13,000

Apple iPhone XS - 256GB - Space Grey (Unlocked).... RD$33,000
    Apple iPhone Xs Max 256GB Space Gray .... RD$33,000
    Apple iPhone XS Max - 512GB - Space Grey Black (Unlocked) Brand New Sealed .... RD$38,000
    Apple iPhone XS Max - 512GB - Gold (Verizon) A1921 (CDMA GSM) unlocked.... RD$38,000

I'm not sure how people fall for this but the buy 2 get 1 free line should be a dead give away
    a used OnePlus 6 is 25k. if you see a factory sealed one for 13k, run away....far away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast