Nuclear power cooperation between Russia and the DR?

W

windeguy

Dominican Republic, Russia to cooperate on nuclear energy

Moscow.- The Russian nuclear energy corporation Rosatom and Dominican Republic’s Energy and Mines Ministry on Tuesday signed the first memorandum on bilateral cooperation in the field of nuclear energy.

“The memorandum is the first cooperation document between the two countries in the field of peaceful use of nuclear energy,” said the Russian agency RIA Nóvosti.

According to the Russian entity, the document lays the groundwork for establishing cooperation in various directions, in particular, in the development of the nuclear infrastructure in the Dominican Republic.
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...u1tWXcO8mVB730xvVtl0A3CwcvBEYTvRxpmXlyFuGQ6x0

C

chico bill

Please tell me where the Russians plan to erect one in DR and I will make sure to be the farthest possible distance away from it given their record of radioactive releases

U

Uzin

Ooouch, Chernodominic, no place in the island will be safe....!

Not just from the 80s these Russians recently had a disaster two months ago with a lot of radioactive escaping to the atmosphere and they tried to cover it up....

C

chico bill

If it's proposed near a populated area I think ringing the site with burning tires would send a message of protest in an election year

U

Uzin

Russians are becoming more like Chinese now, they realize they should expand economically to be a super power, learned from the best, US of A.

Russia has offered to sell Saudi Arabia their missiles for protection and even offered to go and fix their refinery this week... !!!? lol

R

Russell

Earthquakes and Nuclear Power stations do not harmonize with longivity.
I believe Canada has the best record for installation of Nuclear Power ; but then again I am not cognizant of the USA Record.

Maybe the only Nuclear agency that would discuss the matter came from Russia.
It is actually cheaper and safer to install wind generators and solar power......
My opinion is that Nuclear Power is pas say!
What maintenance?
Just look at how the electrical grid is being ''maintained at present !!!
Maybe this is just a bad joke.

DR GOv should pay attention to the dwindling availability of the one most important element needed for life''WATER".
AH!
I am just frustrated with having to search for water on the north shore.
None from the Water Commission and very competitive with the local well in Luperon.
Time is up,,,, getting off thread.
Russell

C

Cdn_Gringo

We know you can't use saltwater to cool a reactor. If the DR can't keep the fresh water supply flowing now and provide reliable backup electricity for the cooling pumps what makes them think they have any hope of pulling this plan off without irradiating all of the Caribbean?

I'm not sure caliche is the best medium for storing spent fuel rods for 40,000 years or 1600 generations...

Stick with what you have demonstrated you can pull off - 2000 dedicated people peddling stationary bikes with attached dynamos.

P

Peterj

Must be April Fools' Day already...time flies when you're having fun.

3rd world country with a metro (don't mention the lack of maintenance), a skilift (still laughing everyday about that one) and thinking of nucleiar energy....

C

cobraboy

So build it on the Haiti border near a falta. Two problems solved, one if it works, one of it blows up. ;)

M

melphis

Maybe they just want to store some nuclear weapons here. Like they did in Cuba back in the 60's. What could go wrong?

U

USA DOC

...you know to build nuclear weapons ,you first have to have a nuclear power plant...to produce the fuel for the weapon.....can you imagine these politicos with the "bomb"...…...

Z

zoomzx11

Please tell me where the Russians plan to erect one in DR and I will make sure to be the farthest possible distance away from it given their record of radioactive releases

Maybe Sosua, workers can stay in the fabulous new hotels during construction.

Should be a wonderful partnership between two corrupt countries with plenty of payoffs to negate safety and environmental protection rules.

Having unreliable electricity is bad but nothing compared to a nuke melt down.
Hurt the tourism biz permanently.

Corrupt DR politicians would do business with the devil for a buck.
In Putin they have his cousin.

Last edited:
E

Ecoman1949

Russia is looking for economic footholds close to or in North America. The one they had in Cuba came back to bite them in their posterior. China is doing the same thing with its investment in DR infrastructure and the Canadian oil fields. Land based Nuclear power generating facilities in the DR is a non starter regardless of who supplies the infrastructure. The DR is earthquake prone. The Russians just developed a small scale portable nuclear generating plant on a marine platform that could be towed to an area, hooked up to the grid, and provide power to remote areas. That may be more viable. The DR government would be better off cutting a deal with Putin on the sale of Russian oil and natural gas to the DR. Both countries could benefit from that.

E

Ecoman1949

Your definitely on to something, I would have to agree 110%

France relies heavily on nuclear power for its electricity. They store the spent fuel rods, “in vitro”. They cover the rods in molten glass, place the glass covered rods in special containers and store the containers in atmospherically controlled non operational mines deep below the earth’s surface. It’s not perfect but it is one of the better methods of storing spent fuel for reprocessing. This wouldn’t be an option in the DR because of the risk of earthquakes.

T

Tarheel

I wonder how a nuclear reactor would withstand a 160 MPH hurricane? It probably has happened somewhere in the world already.