Ladies only to post: Any thoughts/experiences with voodoo in the DR?

L

Lil35caM

Sorry, can't help you with the tales, but the topic is very interesting

D

dulce

I wrote this recent blog post http://yoursaucepans.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-sad-sad-tale-of-guatemalan-worry.html and was wondering if anyone has tales of voodoo in the country? It seemed pretty prevalent in Juan Dolio, and one of my husband's friends had a voodoo shop in San Pedro de Macoris market and was a witch doctor, but I have not come across it so far in the campo.

Matilda

I had Dominican friends that went to witch doctors and fortune tellers. None of them wanted to share too much info about their experiences. I found it difficult to find out any information on the subject from both Dominicans and Haitians. It seems to be a secret subject.
I read tarot cards and am psychic. When people found out they were afraid of me. Some of them called me a witch.

M

Matilda

The witch doctor came to our house once and was trying to explain to me what he did. The head of the dive school where I worked as an instructor was on holiday in Germany for 3 weeks, and he was not an easy man. I asked the witch doctor to make him stay away longer and be calmer and less bad tempered when he returned. He asked if I had anything belonging to him and I gave him his business card. The next day the head of the dive school called to say he would be staying an extra two months overseas as he was going on a long yoga course!

Love the idea of tarot cards and psychic Dulce. Do you do readings online?

Matilda

A

AlterEgo

Voodoo is Haitians, Dominicans do Santeria. Where we live, it’s done in the guise of prayers to San Antonio/ Saint Anthony. It’s accompanied by drums and creepy music, and some of them talk in tongues. The witches put spells on people. I remember the maid warning me about burning my hair after a haircut, so no one could use it against me. There are card readers too. Never saw tarot there, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. There are people who make special candles for special things......to make someone fall in love with you, to make someone well (or sick), to win money, etc.

Dominicans are very superstitious people, I could write a book about some of the things they swear are true.

M

Matilda

Checked with Mr. matilda and the witch doctor did santeria. Never knew there was a difference. But when I was shot it was due to Haitians doing voodoo apparently due to jealousy.

Matilda

A

Auryn

I once asked La Familia Dominicana about Santeria and was quickly shushed. It’s a rather curious topic as far as the origins, practices, and similarities to Voodoo are concerned.

Interestingly, Santeria was briefly shown on the tv series Orange is the New Black. When the Dominican-American character of “Gloria” (played by Selenis Leyva) is not yet in prison, she has a Santeria shrine in her apartment. If I remember correctly, the shrine catches fire, which somehow or another leads to her incarceration for food stamp fraud.

Anthropologically, I think Santeria is fascinating.

D

dulce

The witch doctor came to our house once and was trying to explain to me what he did. The head of the dive school where I worked as an instructor was on holiday in Germany for 3 weeks, and he was not an easy man. I asked the witch doctor to make him stay away longer and be calmer and less bad tempered when he returned. He asked if I had anything belonging to him and I gave him his business card. The next day the head of the dive school called to say he would be staying an extra two months overseas as he was going on a long yoga course!

Love the idea of tarot cards and psychic Dulce. Do you do readings online?

Matilda

I never have done online readings.

L

LaTeacher

Come to a fiesta de palos with me. From an intellectual standpoint very interesting. Santeria and vudu are really.more.similar than dominicans want to admit bit vudi is more.organized as a religion and brujeria here is practiced more as an addition to catholocism. There is a botanica by the fort on the way to your.place thst apparently.is famousnfor its botellas.

A

AlterEgo

Come to a fiesta de palos with me. From an intellectual standpoint very interesting. Santeria and vudu are really.more.similar than dominicans want to admit bit vudi is more.organized as a religion and brujeria here is practiced more as an addition to catholocism. There is a botanica by the fort on the way to your.place thst apparently.is famousnfor its botellas.

Oh, fiesta de palos......that’s popular in my neck of the woods. The drums creep me out. Reminds me of the old movies, when the natives beat the drums in the jungle, and you know it means something bad is going to happen........ :ninja: