Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pier construction near Sosúa by the Sea

19 September 2019
    Pier construction near Sosúa by the Sea
    Valetta Holding SRL is currently constructing a pier on the coast of Sosúa.

The pier is situated just past the bend near Sosúa by the Sea. The intention is that the pier, as a breakwater, influences the gulf stream, preventing the coral reefs from being buried by the entrained sand during storms. According to ecologist Gabriela Rosa of the Maguá Ecological Foundation, the resulting lagoon will stimulate coral growth and provide a breeding ground for young fish and invertebrates. Valetta Holding, a company that develops tourism projects in the northern area, is committed to the environment and the sustainable development of the country. The director of the Maguá Ecological Foundation explained that the proposal to build a breakwater not only allows this coastal structure to protect the coast, but also to preserve and further develop marine species.
    Source: El Caribe
    https://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=5672&article=1

2. Likes Sosua Sonny liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what lagoon will be created ?
    I suspect this all about creating a small private beach for the new upscale hotel.
    When they complete the rock placement then the sand haul should begin

4. Likes windeguy, ohmmmm, slowmo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    I suspect this all about creating a small private beach for the new upscale hotel.
    No papi it’s for fishies...Roflmfao man this government is smooth...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My fave bit is "influences the Gulf Stream"!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Maybe it will stop Global Warming?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Got it in one CB. It’s future tourism development under the guise of eco crap. You can’t fight nature. If you do X nature will do Y to counter what you’ve done. High tides driven by storms will continue to influence the movement of beach sediment in that open section of coastline. The actual impact of the new breakwater may create negative impacts and cause sections of beaches in the area to disappear. I’ve done environmental assessments on beaches most of my professional life. I’ve seen major damage caused by the best of intentions. A long time ago, I posted about the need for the DR environment and development agencies to get a core of expertise in coastline geomorphology to properly plan tourism development. This latest fiasco reinforces my view and the need for the expertise.

9. Likes zoomzx11, cobraboy, Sosua Sonny, AlaninDR liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    The Gulf Stream reference is arrogance combined with a lack of knowledge, in other words stupidity. It’s disheartening to me because the DR has some of the most beautiful coastal zones in the Caribbean. One part of me wants to assist the government with their coastal zone assessments but another part of me tells me I’d be p***ing against the wind. I’m used to working under stringent US and Canadian scientific protocols. My eco warrior days are long past. I’m more interested in a cold cerveza and a nice pork empanada.

11. Likes zoomzx11, RayO, AlaninDR, snoozer liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sosua Ocean Village is trying to get approval for a basin type breaker wall that goes out over 300 feet, over 1,200 feet long and 20 feet high. Using the same rubble construction. The plan and consequences of such a structure is beyond bad, it's criminal. The impact to the ocean, area and neighbors would/will be catastrophic. The whole thing will be washed away after one good storm or high seas such as we have today here on the north coast.

They want to put sand in to make a beach.... that looks out at a 20 foot high wall. Only one inlet/outlet that will not change the water but should end up more like a stagnate sewer.

I have copies of the very amateur plans and went to one meeting about it. No experts used or required for the plans.

If you are in the Sosua area Ecoman, would be glad to share with you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Build wind breaker
    Let everyone calm down
    Fill it in
    Now build new resort
    Farthest in ocean

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    Sosua Ocean Village is trying to get approval for a basin type breaker wall that goes out over 300 feet, over 1,200 feet long and 20 feet high. Using the same rubble construction. The plan and consequences of such a structure is beyond bad, it's criminal. The impact to the ocean, area and neighbors would/will be catastrophic. The whole thing will be washed away after one good storm or high seas such as we have today here on the north coast.

They want to put sand in to make a beach.... that looks out at a 20 foot high wall. Only one inlet/outlet that will not change the water but should end up more like a stagnate sewer.

I have copies of the very amateur plans and went to one meeting about it. No experts used or required for the plans.

If you are in the Sosua area Ecoman, would be glad to share with you.
    I’ll be back Oct 08th. I’ll PM you. I plan to go to Sosua to meet up with a friend. Maybe connect with you at Plan B bar. His novia works there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast