Pier construction near Sosúa by the Sea

W

windeguy

19 September 2019
Pier construction near Sosúa by the Sea
Valetta Holding SRL is currently constructing a pier on the coast of Sosúa.

09-19.jpg

The pier is situated just past the bend near Sosúa by the Sea. The intention is that the pier, as a breakwater, influences the gulf stream, preventing the coral reefs from being buried by the entrained sand during storms. According to ecologist Gabriela Rosa of the Maguá Ecological Foundation, the resulting lagoon will stimulate coral growth and provide a breeding ground for young fish and invertebrates. Valetta Holding, a company that develops tourism projects in the northern area, is committed to the environment and the sustainable development of the country. The director of the Maguá Ecological Foundation explained that the proposal to build a breakwater not only allows this coastal structure to protect the coast, but also to preserve and further develop marine species.

Source: El Caribe
https://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=5672&article=1

C

chico bill

I wonder what lagoon will be created ?
I suspect this all about creating a small private beach for the new upscale hotel.
When they complete the rock placement then the sand haul should begin

Reactions: jstarebel
L

lifeisgreat

I suspect this all about creating a small private beach for the new upscale hotel.
No papi it’s for fishies...Roflmfao man this government is smooth...

E

Ecoman1949

Got it in one CB. It’s future tourism development under the guise of eco crap. You can’t fight nature. If you do X nature will do Y to counter what you’ve done. High tides driven by storms will continue to influence the movement of beach sediment in that open section of coastline. The actual impact of the new breakwater may create negative impacts and cause sections of beaches in the area to disappear. I’ve done environmental assessments on beaches most of my professional life. I’ve seen major damage caused by the best of intentions. A long time ago, I posted about the need for the DR environment and development agencies to get a core of expertise in coastline geomorphology to properly plan tourism development. This latest fiasco reinforces my view and the need for the expertise.

Reactions: johne
E

Ecoman1949

My fave bit is "influences the Gulf Stream"!

The Gulf Stream reference is arrogance combined with a lack of knowledge, in other words stupidity. It’s disheartening to me because the DR has some of the most beautiful coastal zones in the Caribbean. One part of me wants to assist the government with their coastal zone assessments but another part of me tells me I’d be p***ing against the wind. I’m used to working under stringent US and Canadian scientific protocols. My eco warrior days are long past. I’m more interested in a cold cerveza and a nice pork empanada.

Reactions: Billp16
D

DR Solar

Sosua Ocean Village is trying to get approval for a basin type breaker wall that goes out over 300 feet, over 1,200 feet long and 20 feet high. Using the same rubble construction. The plan and consequences of such a structure is beyond bad, it's criminal. The impact to the ocean, area and neighbors would/will be catastrophic. The whole thing will be washed away after one good storm or high seas such as we have today here on the north coast.

They want to put sand in to make a beach.... that looks out at a 20 foot high wall. Only one inlet/outlet that will not change the water but should end up more like a stagnate sewer.

I have copies of the very amateur plans and went to one meeting about it. No experts used or required for the plans.

If you are in the Sosua area Ecoman, would be glad to share with you.

Reactions: Billp16
T

thompstr

Build wind breaker
Let everyone calm down
Fill it in
Now build new resort
Farthest in ocean

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

E

Ecoman1949

Sosua Ocean Village is trying to get approval for a basin type breaker wall that goes out over 300 feet, over 1,200 feet long and 20 feet high. Using the same rubble construction. The plan and consequences of such a structure is beyond bad, it's criminal. The impact to the ocean, area and neighbors would/will be catastrophic. The whole thing will be washed away after one good storm or high seas such as we have today here on the north coast.

They want to put sand in to make a beach.... that looks out at a 20 foot high wall. Only one inlet/outlet that will not change the water but should end up more like a stagnate sewer.

I have copies of the very amateur plans and went to one meeting about it. No experts used or required for the plans.

I’ll be back Oct 08th. I’ll PM you. I plan to go to Sosua to meet up with a friend. Maybe connect with you at Plan B bar. His novia works there.

E

Ecoman1949

If it does turn into a quiet section of shoreline (pocket beach) the minimal current flow and flushing will increase the contamination from any sewage dispersed near the shoreline. Could result in alga blooms, increased seaweed growth, high levels of ecoli, fecal Coliform, and other forms of pathogens. They are not doing themselves any favours.

O

ohmmmm

Got it in one CB. It’s future tourism development under the guise of eco crap. You can’t fight nature. If you do X nature will do Y to counter what you’ve done. High tides driven by storms will continue to influence the movement of beach sediment in that open section of coastline. The actual impact of the new breakwater may create negative impacts and cause sections of beaches in the area to disappear. I’ve done environmental assessments on beaches most of my professional life. I’ve seen major damage caused by the best of intentions. A long time ago, I posted about the need for the DR environment and development agencies to get a core of expertise in coastline geomorphology to properly plan tourism development. This latest fiasco reinforces my view and the need for the expertise.

Not saying your wrong, but this is the DR...isn't it? Even when I was in the states you could pull so called experts to give a wide range of opinions on environmental impacts. These experts were paid pretty good to give an opinion and even testify in court or before a planning department. When a large investor comes in saying they will put in $350 million and may transform an entire area and they get their photos taken with the top guys from Santo Domingo... That is a tough momentum to stop even under ideal conditions. In reality, I just hope to have electrical power today to keep my cervesas cold.

Reactions: jd426
J

JDJones

I added this thread to my calendar with a reminder to check back in a year.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

C

ctrob

This is one in Playa Dorada, I always assumed it was man-made because of the larger stone on the end of the jetty. Anybody know?

fe07814a_b.jpg

D

DR Solar

If it does turn into a quiet section of shoreline (pocket beach) the minimal current flow and flushing will increase the contamination from any sewage dispersed near the shoreline. Could result in alga blooms, increased seaweed growth, high levels of ecoli, fecal Coliform, and other forms of pathogens. They are not doing themselves any favours.

The beach houses have the septic tank overflow right into the ocean and a new wall will help that great new growth and smell.

E

Ecoman1949

Not saying your wrong, but this is the DR...isn't it? Even when I was in the states you could pull so called experts to give a wide range of opinions on environmental impacts. These experts were paid pretty good to give an opinion and even testify in court or before a planning department. When a large investor comes in saying they will put in $350 million and may transform an entire area and they get their photos taken with the top guys from Santo Domingo... That is a tough momentum to stop even under ideal conditions. In reality, I just hope to have electrical power today to keep my cervesas cold.

Hence my reference about urinating into the wind and the futility of it. In the US and Canada the onus is on the proponent to follow a set of environmental assessment regulations and public consultation and input are a large part of the process. Mitigation procedures are also a part of the process. Experts both pro and con say their piece and the review panel base their final decision on all the input. Large scale projects were modified but rarely stopped. Even if the DR had these procedures, the lack of core environmental expertise and corruption in the DR makes it futile to even think about influencing such a system. In a country where you can buy your way into or out of anything, taking the high ethical road isn’t the way to go. It could actually shorten your lifespan considerably.

E

Ecoman1949

This is one in Playa Dorada, I always assumed it was man-made because of the larger stone on the end of the jetty. Anybody know?

fe07814a_b.jpg

I’m guessing it’s man made. A small spit probably developed naturally and the resort dumped more sand to enlarge the spit and define the limits of their section of public beach. The armour stone is an attempt to prevent the sand from leaching out during major storms. Playa Dorada is my home away from home. I’m very familiar with the coastline there. The impact of large storms appears to be minimal on that side. The resorts in the area have had minimal impact on that stretch of coastline. It’s prime tourist beach area and they don’t mess with it. The strip is cleaned on a daily basis by many resorts so persistent plastics such as resort drinking cups aren’t a problem. Every now and then the resort owners do get their environmental ducks in a row.

E

Ecoman1949

wow, nice find, thanks. Awesome drone coverage. They tried and are trying to fight beach erosion on the beach in Cabarete as well. They filled big steal baskets with rocks in an attempt to fight erosion. It is starting to wash away

I was amazed when I saw the beach in front of Lifestyles in Cabarete. They certainly didn’t get the best frontage for the money they invested. They are hoping to access some adjacent property and gain a bit more frontage. They are also negotiating with other adjacent properties to get more parking space for their clients.

Cabarete Beach is not protected from the long term impacts of storms and high wind and wave conditions. It’s open to the ocean and waves started by the wind and tide conditions have ample opportunity to build up and gain massive power because of the open fetch. Stronger storm surges and hurricanes are becoming the norm so we can expect bigger impacts over short periods. Building massive breakwaters, gabion walls, and installing armour stone are temporary fixes and, in many cases, create worse problems. Ultimately nature will determine the quality of the shoreline in the Cabarete area.

Last edited: