Best D.R. Debit Card

L

Lucas61

In my opinion, the best D.R. debit card for foreigners, from the point of view of the simplicity of the application process is Banreservas.

This is because no documentation is required, at least for U.S. citizens, only three forms of identification:
1. passport, 2. state driver's license or identification, 3. copy of original social security card (it will be in color).
Customer service fills out all documentation and you sign. You pick up your card (with chip) in less than a week.

You have to maintain a balance of RD$ 2,000 to avoid surcharges. The initial deposit is RD$ 500. You pay NO surcharge at an ATM and this includes BHD ATM's, as they are linked.

And you can save money. Instead of taking out a large amount in order to avoid the fee, you can take out unlimited small amounts, say RD$ 500, with no surcharge. Easier to budget.

Getting the online account up and running is a MISSION. With a few return trips to the bank to solve problems, I now have access with no issues.

Reactions: campesinadeatl
D

Dr_Taylor

You have to maintain a balance of RD$ 2,000 to avoid surcharges. The initial deposit is RD$ 500. You pay NO surcharge at an ATM and this includes BHD ATM's, as they are linked.
A commission does exist for some foreign ATMs; however, the fee is nominal compared to U.S. banks.

L

Lucas61

B.R. Branch

Which branch did you goto?

The branch I had this success at is on La Mella, one-half distance between El Bombero and La Sirena. It is just past the Seventh Day Aventist church.

"Memwa Dahomey!"

A

alexw

Banreservas and Banco BHD Leon always have the longest lines ever. Congrats on your new debit card but those lines turned me off.

N

nekokatt

Banreservas and Banco BHD Leon always have the longest lines ever. Congrats on your new debit card but those lines turned me off.

Long lines seem to be the norm anywhere in Carribean and Latin America, avoid pay day (Friday)
More important is ease of opening which is difficult even for foreigners with residency. Then use ATM or Online Banking

B

bob saunders

BHD usually has 4-5 cashiers open though.

S

SKY

Banreservas always has the longest lines because they are the Gov. bank and deal in passport renewals, driver license renewals, and a lot of other things that are not dealt with anywhere else. BHD should not be any long wait compared to BReservas.

L

Lucas61

B.R.: Long Lines? It Depends.

@alexw:

Maybe it depends on the branch. In my area, the various sectores above Zona Colonial, the Banco Popular lines are much longer than the Banreservas lines. At B.R. on La Mella, the lines are not so bad, so long as you avoid Fridays and paydays. Plus there is an expedited line for Deposits only. I'd say that my average wait time is 15 minutes.

Fortunately, many questions about your account that do not involve either depositing or withdrawing money can be handled at the front information desk. The person is always a banker. They rotate. In fact, that person has more access to aspects of your account than do bank staff behind the counter. The front desk person has a computer terminal. The wait there is zero to three minutes.

Now, if you need Customer Service, which I did when I had difficulty with online access (now resolved), bring a book and figure on waiting an hour. You will need a ticket.

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
Will be returning to DR this year

2. state driver's license or identification,

Can this be a Dominican Cedula? I dont want to reveal my US home address

(and for address proof, have utility bill from another country)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Will be returning to DR this year

2. state driver's license or identification,

Can this be a Dominican Cedula? I dont want to reveal my US home address

(and for address proof, have utility bill from another country)

Yes, Driver licences are acepted as Dominican ID, they have your cedula number as Driver card ID. For Banks do not apply only Cedula they acept.

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
Yes, Driver licences are acepted as Dominican ID, they have your cedula number as Driver card ID. For Banks do not apply only Cedula they acept.

To clarify, I meant I dont want to use US State Driver License as it has my home address on it.

So Passport + DR Cedula + original Social Security card will do it?

(I dont have DR driver license as dont want to drive there, besides already have cedula as official ID)