Any Info on Amer. Thomas Gene Hope Found Hanging Naked in Cab/Sosua

S

Superpana

I saw a story a few hours ago about an American named Thomas Gene Hope found naked and hanging from a tree in Cabarete near the cemetery. Has anyone heard anything about this story? He was a 55 year old Caucasian male. From what is being reported, it looks like a suicide, but why would someone hang themselves naked? Makes no sense at all. If there is any info I would appreciate boot on the ground intel. If this was a crime, then tourism will take another hit for sure. Punta Cana is already suffering.

E

etolw

I saw a story a few hours ago about an American named Thomas Gene Hope found naked and hanging from a tree in Cabarete near the cemetery. it looks like a suicide, but why would someone hang themselves naked? Makes no sense at all.
Suicide makes no sense to me, naked or not. Suicide attempts and completions by individuals while naked remain unexplored, both by clinicians and in the professional literature. Nakedness at the time of the incident conveys important information about an individual's mental state. You can not apply logic to those cases.

btw. link to news article https://elnuevodiario.com.do/hallan-estadounidense-ahorcado-en-arbol-en-puerto-plata/

Last edited:
S

Superpana

I agree with you on the state of mind observation, but you must admit most suicides of that manner are not common unless accidental ie drug overdose, electrocution in shower, etc,

S

Superpana

Thanks for sharing the link to the story. It seems the link to the story on the dr1 forum is broken. Was the thread closed? When I click on the story I get an error page.....Any ideas?

S

Superpana

I did not mean the link to the El Diario report. I meant the one from the home page where it says forums latest. When I click on it from there it gives an error. Thanks.

S

Superpana

Was there a conclusion on the autopsy regsrding this case?

I did not mean the link to the El Diario report. I meant the one from the home page where it says forums latest. When I click on it from there it gives an error. Thanks.
Was there a follow up on this case or did it get brushed under the rug?

S

Superpana

Was there any final autopsy report on Thomas G. Hope

I always find it interesting when Americans die abroad in tragic situation, and after the initial local reporting, there is usually no follow up on the stories. I also find it odd there was no English reporting on this story and no family members on here searching for this guy. Well I hope he rests in peace and if he did have family in the states, I hope they were able to find some closure. If anyone did hear anything else on this story, perhaps if relatives are looking for him, they might come across this website and get some answers. Here is the link to the story as was reported in the local paper. https://m.elcaribe.com.do/2019/09/22/hallan-ahorcado-estadounidense-en-sosua/