US travel visa for Dominicans

T

tee

I am looking to take my family to Florida to Disneyland and need to apply for a tourist visa for my Dominican wife and stepdaughter. Does anyone know what the current requirements are for tourist visas? I have heard that numerous things such as a bank account with a certain amount of funds is one requirement amongst other things so I am looking for someone that has recently applied and received their visa in order to know exactly what they did. I am a Canadian citizen so I cannot apply for them so I want them to be completely prepared...any help will be most appreciated.
Thanks.

W

windeguy

A US citizen cannot apply for a visitor's visa for any Dominican, family member or not, so don't feel bad you cannot help. Nobody can. It is all on them.

The requirements are not posted by the US government, but it is all on them to prove they will return to the DR before the visa expires. Things like a good long term job, owning a house and a car in the DR, long term bank accounts and no relatives in the US are all positives to get US visitor's visas.

They are still a challenge to get, but easier now than some years ago. They will need some luck as well.

L

Linda Stapleton

My husband applied for the second time recently, and was declined again. He said of the hundreds of people waiting to get the decision, which is given on the day, only four seemed to be celebrating after the brief interview, which was conducted within earshot of those waiting. Very different to the procedure when we applied and were successful in obtaining a visitor's visa to the UK :( They seem to pay very little attention, if any, to all the paperwork you are required to provide to support your case.

W

windeguy

I didn't want to tell tee that the odds were close to zero unless the person already had visas to other locales, a good long term job, etc...

Z

zoomzx11

Linda Stapelton's post is the norm for what happens.
They make noise about bank accounts, homes and ties to the DR but its b.s.

What is worse is that when you are denied they refuse to give you a reason other than "in the opinion of the interviewer you are not qualified.

This situation stems from the fact that when Dominicans get a good look at life in a first world country they stay.
The fact is that a Dominican can live better as an undocumented person in the US than the average here.
You can get visas to Indonesia, N. Viet Nam and the like. Places no one wants to go.
Most Dominicans do not realize they are prisoners on the island.
They do give out a very small number so they cannot be accused of turning everyone down and it is pretty arbitrary.

S

suarezj519

The Tourist visa process seems to be a little random at times in the DR. some points during the year they have more acceptance and others rejections. Thing is, you can be a dominican that owns businesses, have money in bank, etc and still be denied, while someone with enough money to pay the fees, flight and stay for a while in the US gets accepted. I have seen this many times with family members and friends. It's very strange. She can give it a go and apply and just see what happens. I'm currently waiting for my wife's spousal visa interview and I'm just stressing out about that.

D

DRdreaming

The Tourist visa process seems to be a little random at times in the DR. some points during the year they have more acceptance and others rejections. Thing is, you can be a dominican that owns businesses, have money in bank, etc and still be denied, while someone with enough money to pay the fees, flight and stay for a while in the US gets accepted. I have seen this many times with family members and friends. It's very strange. She can give it a go and apply and just see what happens. I'm currently waiting for my wife's spousal visa interview and I'm just stressing out about that.
Don't stress. Just be prepared. My husband's interview was last November. I went with him (its suggested that the petitioning spouse attend).

Front load your petition with all of your joint financial info, and other evidence.

The interview lasted about 10 minutes. She asked simple questions of both of us, such as how we met, where we were married, what my husband's plans were once he was in the US.

PM me if you have any questions, and good luck!

Sent from my SM-J810M using Tapatalk

W

windeguy

DRdreaming, are you from Canada as well?

It is virtually impossible for a Dominican to get a US visitor's visa if they have a US Citizen spouse. I realize that the OP is Canadian, so this is not an automatic disqualification for them.

A

alexw

I have two female friends that have visas and they don't work or anything. They are extremely beautiful but I still have no idea how they obtained their visas

G

Garyexpat

Linda Stapelton's post is the norm for what happens.
They make noise about bank accounts, homes and ties to the DR but its b.s.

What is worse is that when you are denied they refuse to give you a reason other than "in the opinion of the interviewer you are not qualified.

This situation stems from the fact that when Dominicans get a good look at life in a first world country they stay.
The fact is that a Dominican can live better as an undocumented person in the US than the average here.
You can get visas to Indonesia, N. Viet Nam and the like. Places no one wants to go.
Most Dominicans do not realize they are prisoners on the island.
They do give out a very small number so they cannot be accused of turning everyone down and it is pretty arbitrary.

There are more countries opening up for Dominicans. One that I know of and like very much is Colombia. I go often and have considered renting an apartment in Medellin (as a U.S. citizen I can be in Colombia for up to 6 months). I have several friends, of the female persuasion, wanting me to take them on my next trip.
P.S. You date yourself putting the "N" in front of Vietnam, however since I am also old enough to remember when there was a S and N I get it. BTW, Vietnam is on my list of places to visit, but agreed I doubt it is on the list for many Dominicans.

D

DRdreaming

DRdreaming, are you from Canada as well?

It is virtually impossible for a Dominican to get a US visitor's visa if they have a US Citizen spouse. I realize that the OP is Canadian, so this is not an automatic disqualification for them.
No. I am from the US. My comment was in response to the spousal visa.

And yes, it is almost impossible for a Dominican to get a visitor Visa unless their US spouse lives with them in DR.

My husband was denied, even after showing evidence of property and business ownership. He was told by the consular officer that he was eligible for residency, and he should apply for it. He tried to explain that he didn't want to live in the US, just to be able to return with me for visits, as I was in the process of applying for Dominican residency.

So we had to change our plans, apply for an IR1 visa, and will live here in the US until he obtains citizenship. We didn't want a situation to arise where I would have to return to the US for something (family event, major medical issue, etc) and he wouldn't be able to accompany me.

L

Linda Stapleton

I have friends in a similar situation. The guy is Israeli with US citizenship and his Dominican partner was just granted a visitor's visa to the US on her third attempt. Turned down twice before. It seemed the difference was that he was allowed to speak at the interview with her. Normally you are not allowed to say very much, including the applicant, but they thought they had nothing to lose and insisted on being heard..... He is resident and owns property here and they have no plans to live in the US. The whole process seems completely arbitrary. I've also heard similar stories of people who seemed like good candidates being turned down and others with no obvious reason why the visa should be granted, being given access. I'm told they have a certain number they have to approve just to justify their existence and employment and the rest of it is just a waste of time.

S

SKY

The US Embassy in SD might be the last place on earth that one would want to be involved with...............

A

Aguaita29

I am looking to take my family to Florida to Disneyland and need to apply for a tourist visa for my Dominican wife and stepdaughter. Does anyone know what the current requirements are for tourist visas? I have heard that numerous things such as a bank account with a certain amount of funds is one requirement amongst other things so I am looking for someone that has recently applied and received their visa in order to know exactly what they did. I am a Canadian citizen so I cannot apply for them so I want them to be completely prepared...any help will be most appreciated.
Thanks.

What does your wife do? What kind of job is it and how much the person makes is important.
There isn't a requirement to have a bank account with some specific amount of money. Having a bank account with half a million pesos won't help if you don´t have a job. Plus, lately most people are not even asked to show their bank statememts.

D

Dr_Taylor

The whole process seems completely arbitrary. I've also heard similar stories of people who seemed like good candidates being turned down and others with no obvious reason why the visa should be granted, being given access.
Consular officers enjoy wide discretion in the performance of their duties.

W

windeguy

I have friends in a similar situation. The guy is Israeli with US citizenship and his Dominican partner was just granted a visitor's visa to the US on her third attempt. Turned down twice before. It seemed the difference was that he was allowed to speak at the interview with her. Normally you are not allowed to say very much, including the applicant, but they thought they had nothing to lose and insisted on being heard..... He is resident and owns property here and they have no plans to live in the US. The whole process seems completely arbitrary. I've also heard similar stories of people who seemed like good candidates being turned down and others with no obvious reason why the visa should be granted, being given access. I'm told they have a certain number they have to approve just to justify their existence and employment and the rest of it is just a waste of time.

That is very odd indeed. Spouses of visitor's visa applicants are not even allowed to enter the US Embassy unless there is some very special reason that is set up by the interviewing agent. I had to wait down the road in a small restaurant.

W

windeguy

What does your wife do? What kind of job is it and how much the person makes is important.
There isn't a requirement to have a bank account with some specific amount of money. Having a bank account with half a million pesos won't help if you don´t have a job. Plus, lately most people are not even asked to show their bank statememts.

Nobody but the agents knows what the requirements are. People have inferred what they think will work by collecting information on those who were and were not granted visitor's visas.

W

windeguy

No. I am from the US. My comment was in response to the spousal visa.

And yes, it is almost impossible for a Dominican to get a visitor Visa unless their US spouse lives with them in DR.

My husband was denied, even after showing evidence of property and business ownership. He was told by the consular officer that he was eligible for residency, and he should apply for it. He tried to explain that he didn't want to live in the US, just to be able to return with me for visits, as I was in the process of applying for Dominican residency.

So we had to change our plans, apply for an IR1 visa, and will live here in the US until he obtains citizenship. We didn't want a situation to arise where I would have to return to the US for something (family event, major medical issue, etc) and he wouldn't be able to accompany me.

We decided it was not a financially sound idea to live in the US , so the "green card" was traded in for a 10 year renewable visitor's visa. With that 10 year vvisa, she could enter the US and if needed after entry, request a change of status to be a resident (again).

C

cavok

How was the husband allowed to attend the interview? The rules are that only an interpreter or someone that is providing assistance to a disabled applicant can attend an interview.

I wasn't even allowed inside, or even stand outside in the shade. Like Winde, I had to wait up on a hill a couple blocks away.

L

Linda Stapleton

I really don't know, they were as surprised as all of you are, but I've no reason to doubt they are telling the truth on this.