Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New idea

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New idea

Good morning
    What do you guys think about starting a business like AMAZON thats online and does delivery to residences within 2 or 3 business days but everything except restaurants. does anyone know any IT guys who can help in creating the website and maintaining it and adding items to the website. Or is DR too small for online delivery and people prefer to just go to retail shops(brick and mortar) directly and buy them

Thanks for the feedback

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Selling online is all about logistics and not much about IT in my mind.

Orders tracking is imperative for consumers’ expectations. Since orders do not materialize at the time of purchase, consumers expect immediacy in the information monitoring.

Warehousing, rotation of the goods, time on the shelfs and delivery to the customer are fundamental. Furthermore, the rating of online feedbacks should be carefully evaluated. If online sales do not have a solid basis, speaking about marketing, user experience, browsing and merchandising will not be enough.

I would not invest in your idea, but you might have something up your sleeve to outcompete Amazon?

I am a happy customer of ebay/amazon/aliexpress and have been that for more than ten years.

When I order from Amazon the goods arrive in one/two days at my courier in Miami, and usually two to three days later arrives here at EPS in Cabarete.

Very satisfied with the service I got, as long as I do not order heavy items that costs a lot to ship. Usually I get free delivery to Miami and EPS charges typical 60 to 500 pesos depending on weigth of the shipment.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes....exactly...but the only difference is since the company is new i dont want to invest in merchandise and warehouse but instead sell the products of other companies and handle the logistics part and receive a percentage of comission....the difference is i dont want to compete with amazon or ebay or aliexpress.....i want to do with the companies that are in DR like sirena jumbo and clothing stores and home decor

Quote Originally Posted by etolw View Post
    Selling online is all about logistics and not much about IT in my mind.

Orders tracking is imperative for consumers’ expectations. Since orders do not materialize at the time of purchase, consumers expect immediacy in the information monitoring.

Warehousing, rotation of the goods, time on the shelfs and delivery to the customer are fundamental. Furthermore, the rating of online feedbacks should be carefully evaluated. If online sales do not have a solid basis, speaking about marketing, user experience, browsing and merchandising will not be enough.

I would not invest in your idea, but you might have something up your sleeve to outcompete Amazon?

I am a happy customer of ebay/amazon/aliexpress and have been that for more than ten years.

When I order from Amazon the goods arrive in one/two days at my courier in Miami, and usually two to three days later arrives here at EPS in Cabarete.

Very satisfied with the service I got, as long as I do not order heavy items that costs a lot to ship. Usually I get free delivery to Miami and EPS charges typical 60 to 500 pesos depending on weigth of the shipment.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem will be that you are competing with lower quality more expensive goods from local suppliers versus Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress, etc. You might offer faster delivery, but people normally buy on price and you will not have an edge there because Dominican customs has already removed your profit margin.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea may have some positive points if you can make the delivery faster than 2 or 3 days. If I am on the north coast and there is something I need urgently which can only be found in the Capital, for example, and it can be delivered the next day, it would be better than ordering it online from the US and waiting for it to be delivered first to Miami and then here. If you have to wait 2 or 3 days, there is really not much advantage over ordering in the US.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a good idea, but need to take into account a few things:

- Firstly allow sellers to advertise and sell their stuff, more like eBay than Amazon (for you to start an Amazon requires a lot of capital and infrastructure).

- Need to have a good delivery system, DR post is useless, must start with a good delivery company, reliable and trustworthy, hopefully one day can start your own delivery. Or just start with your own moto crew in SD and expand.

- The feedback and review system must be excellent, this is the single most important thing that matters and can make or break it, should be audited manually first. People can this way find the reliable suppliers and weed out the bad ones. Nothing worse than a scammer or bad supplier putting off buyers.

- Now the last and most important thing, in a poor country (by western standards) not many people have CC or are prepared to risk their money and pay online. Need to have "cash on delivery" service. You might be surprised to hear this but I have seen this to work perfectly in Asia - the only reason Amazon is kept out of some of those Asian countries.

I order things there and like the idea, the delivery man collects the cash but does not let me open or touch the goods before paying, imagine the mess if they want to open and then not like item etc. and not pay... Also users/accounts are black listed if they refuse to pay. Works very well, and I don't have to worry about scammers much, no delivery no pay.

Unfortunately the corruption and unreliability of workforce and theft is so bad here, I don't think "even" that model can work here. But check a few of these Asian companies and learn from them - the biggest one is Lazada that operates in quite a few countries over there.

7. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

But the thing i want to know is how many people order stuff from amazon usa and get it shipped.....i am thinking if its within santo domingo...it can be done in 1 day or same day... but if its a next city, we need to wait till there are more orders to make a transport to the next city as the tolls and gas prices are high

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    I think the idea may have some positive points if you can make the delivery faster than 2 or 3 days. If I am on the north coast and there is something I need urgently which can only be found in the Capital, for example, and it can be delivered the next day, it would be better than ordering it online from the US and waiting for it to be delivered first to Miami and then here. If you have to wait 2 or 3 days, there is really not much advantage over ordering in the US.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post

- Firstly allow sellers to advertise and sell their stuff, more like eBay than Amazon (for you to start an Amazon requires a lot of capital and infrastructure).

- Need to have a good delivery system, DR post is useless, must start with a good delivery company, reliable and trustworthy, hopefully one day can start your own delivery. Or just start with your own moto crew in SD and expand.

- The feedback and review system must be excellent, this is the single most important thing that matters and can make or break it, should be audited manually first. People can this way find the reliable suppliers and weed out the bad ones. Nothing worse than a scammer or bad supplier putting off buyers.

- Now the last and most important thing, in a poor country (by western standards) not many people have CC or are prepared to risk their money and pay online. Need to have "cash on delivery" service. You might be surprised to hear this but I have seen this to work perfectly in Asia - the only reason Amazon is kept out of some of those Asian countries.

I order things there and like the idea, the delivery man collects the cash but does not let me open or touch the goods before paying, imagine the mess if they want to open and then not like item etc. and not pay... Also users/accounts are black listed if they refuse to pay. Works very well, and I don't have to worry about scammers much, no delivery no pay.

Unfortunately the corruption and unreliability of workforce and theft is so bad here, I don't think "even" that model can work here. But check a few of these Asian companies and learn from them - the biggest one is Lazada that operates in quite a few countries over there.
    This is really detailed and i really appreciate for putting time and effort for giving me reply.....cash on delivery is a 100% compulsory option in RD or any other developing countries.....i am worried about the ethics of these delivery guys and workforce.....i dont know if i should hire my own team of drivers or should i just do it on contract basis like uber or delivery RD.....you get paid 95 or 100 pesos delivery fee when you make the delivery....the more deliveries you make, the more you gain.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Youngdude View Post
    But the thing i want to know is how many people order stuff from amazon usa and get it shipped.....i am thinking if its within santo domingo...it can be done in 1 day or same day... but if its a next city, we need to wait till there are more orders to make a transport to the next city as the tolls and gas prices are high
    Very few of DR population do this on Amazon US, many on this DR1 board, but I think very low percentage of Dominicans, they don't even have a means of online payment on Amazon, let alone experience of online shopping.

I can see a big need for this and someone will start it up soon, but it must be adopted to the infrastructure and condition and situation here, not your ideal western environment....

11. Likes Russell liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post

Ofcourse i would allow the individual retailers and sellers to advertise and sell it....but also i want to sign agreements with big box stores like jumbo sirena and nacional as it would be more easier and more reliable with the merchandise and ethics and quality of goods

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast