Dominican wins Emmy

U

Uzin

I don't think that Afro-Latino is that significant, whatever that is, I think many of those have won in the past. But being Dominican is very important, the very first one for that....! well done.

A

Africaida

“It’s an honor,” he says. “It’s a blessing, and I hope this is a step forward for Dominicans, for Latinos, for Afro-Latinos. It’s about time we are here.”

Congrats to him !

The fact that he is BOTH Dominican and Afro Latino is nice. Not sure, why it seems to pose a problem to some :dead:(where are the many whom have won in the past ?? LOL)

He is also the youngest winner in the category.

U

Uzin

I think the definition of Afro-Latino is a bit vague maybe too broad, that's why I didn't get it, but I am no expert....

Is it based on country of origin, or just the look or race or.... !?

C

chico bill

I don't think that Afro-Latino is that significant, whatever that is, I think many of those have won in the past. But being Dominican is very important, the very first one for that....! well done.

Maybe they should have also called him Afro-Indian-Latino

U

Uzin

There are a lot of Afro-American live in USA, then there are a lot of Latinos live there also, so are their kids then Afro-Latino.... !? There would be millions of those... ! Or are they need to be from certain other countries... ?

I personally don't like all these names and race references, we are all the same species, believe me... lo. But I think one factor is where you are brought up and what options you had available, with or without all the privileges of USA or Western countries, being from DR and brought up here with not as much options, competing and winning something on the world stage is quite an achievement... then again he could have been brought up in USA !!!

W

windeguy

Jharrel Jerome is an American actor. He is best known for starring in Barry Jenkins' drama film Moonlight and for portraying Korey Wise in Ava DuVernay's Netflix miniseries When They See Us. For the latter, he won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie. Wikipedia
Born: October 9, 1997 (age 21 years), The Bronx, New York, United States
Nationality: American
Parents: Radoyka Jerome
Awards: MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss, MORE
Nominations: Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

W

windeguy

Come to find out he is not Dominican any more than I am Polish (unless he made a claim for dual citizenship). He was born in THE BRONX!

Go Yankees!

Last edited:
F

frank recktenwald

I think the definition of Afro-Latino is a bit vague maybe too broad, that's why I didn't get it, but I am no expert....

Is it based on country of origin, or just the look or race or.... !?

To be honest I'm getting fed up with people being put in certain race booths because it doesn't bring anything good with it.
Just take a look at the States and how great wonders it has done for them all that race crap. :ermm:

R

Ricardo900

There are a lot of Afro-American live in USA, then there are a lot of Latinos live there also, so are their kids then Afro-Latino.... !? There would be millions of those... ! Or are they need to be from certain other countries... ?

Afro-American is a race & ethnicity - Latino is just an ethnicity. Wouldn't their children be Afro-American if the Latino was black? and still Afro-American if the Latino is white?? Since there is no race classification for mixed race people. So technically he can use "Afro-Latino" only as an ethnicity.

The kicker is if one of his parents were Mexican. Afro-Hispanic??