Buying a New Car

S

StaseyA

Sadly I will be unable to take my beloved Acura MDX with us when we move because it is over 5 years old.... I’ve read the numerous threads about car buying but most are outdated. It looks as if the less paperwork route would be to purchase a new vehicle in DR.... I’m a professional at the art of car buying here in the US but I will have my Dominican father (who is a business man in Puerto Plata but only resides there part of the year) come with me to purchase because I have zero experience with the art of Dominican car sales. Any insight on new car buying.... or maybe a 1-2 year old used car???in and around the Bavaro area... or if it’s best to travel to another city we are up for that too.
Looking for a small SUV.... love my MDX, open to Toyota, Honda, Chevy.... it seems that Hyundai is a popular car brand in the DR.... any particular reason?
And if we choose the 1-2 year old used car it looks like The Gorgon is the man to talk to!?

W

william webster

most definitely ....

he has helped me and many others and lives in POP

S

SKY

https://www.supercarros.com/

This site will give you real prices on new and used cars in the DR. If you find a new car you like you can always have the dealer match the cheapest price on that model. And a great selection. Do not buy a car without looking at this.

W

windeguy

Hyundai/Kia have displaced Toyota over the years as number one in the DR. The used market is dominicanted by Hyundai/Kia sedans a few years old.

I was an early adopter purchasing a new Hyundai Santa Fe two weeks after I arrived to live here full time in 2003 from Magna Motors in Santo Domingo. A family member is still driving that vehicle. I have a Kia Sorento that was purchased new.

By all means use The Gorgon for help if buying used.

When buying new, the price is usually the price and about 40% higher here for all vehicles than in the US.

W

william webster

Yes - RE: SKY

supercarros.com is a great way to acquaint yourself with prices and models

They can disappear fast - but another will come along

Z

zoomzx11

You can find a nice one to two year old car here but it is vastly different than shopping in the US.
Gorgon is the guy.

Dominicans are experts at making an old dog high mileage US auction import shine like a new penny.

J

JDJones

Gorgon is the guy. Also keep in mind most of the vehicles on Supercarros tend to run a little higher than other websites.

U

USA DOC

yes contact Gorgon....I bought my cars from private parties, sign on back window..I was in car business in mgt, and was a buyer for dealerships, and you need to be a professional here...Toyotas are king here but the prices are very high...Have a camry and Hyundai sonata now, bought both myself..for the money I would tale my Hyundai sonata over the camry only because of price, and came from factory as a lpi...burns propane..if you buy a 4 wheel drive just remember what gasoline costs here,...…….Doc...……..

D

dulce

Can the OP contact via PM if Gorgon is banned for the time being?

A

Abuela

Mike ( Gorgon) was a perfect car finder for us. We are beyond satisfied with our used car found by him. You can reach him by email:cafenegril1@yahoo.com

T

the gorgon

my first order of business is to say a heartfelt thank you to all the members here who have said all these positive things about my efforts. i appreciate your kindness.

i just want to clear up one misconception put forward by a poster...there is no such thing as a dealer matching the lowest prices in the used car market. the new car price is exactly that....the price..

https://www.supercarros.com/carros/...r-provincia/Chevrolet/Colorado/?Condition=251

and forget about trying to get any breaks..that works in the used car arena, not new cars.

the problem with buying a new car is that you lose 10% of the sticker price driving it out the gate, and a further 10% in the first year of use. buy it for 1 million pesos today, and you struggle to get 750k a year later. better to let some guy buy it new, take the initial loss, then you slide in and buy it after 2 years. if it is a car which was bought at somewhere like Viamar, and has all its service records, that is as good as a used car can get. it will not have a CARFAX, but it will not have been used in Green Bay....

T

the gorgon

i misspoke in the prior thread. the sentence should have read..

there is no such thing as a dealer matching the lowest price in the new car market...my bad.

J

JDFriend

Yes, the Gorgon is the guy to get you a very good used car. He's the expert. We know, we have a wonderful car that he found.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

L

ljmesg

my first order of business is to say a heartfelt thank you to all the members here who have said all these positive things about my efforts. i appreciate your kindness.

i just want to clear up one misconception put forward by a poster...there is no such thing as a dealer matching the lowest prices in the used car market. the new car price is exactly that....the price..

https://www.supercarros.com/carros/...r-provincia/Chevrolet/Colorado/?Condition=251

and forget about trying to get any breaks..that works in the used car arena, not new cars.

the problem with buying a new car is that you lose 10% of the sticker price driving it out the gate, and a further 10% in the first year of use. buy it for 1 million pesos today, and you struggle to get 750k a year later. better to let some guy buy it new, take the initial loss, then you slide in and buy it after 2 years. if it is a car which was bought at somewhere like Viamar, and has all its service records, that is as good as a used car can get. it will not have a CARFAX, but it will not have been used in Green Bay....
Hey now, I have family in Green Bay[emoji1787]