Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 11 Hotels Closed

11 hotels in DR have closed due to low occupancy, leaving thousands unemployed.

https://almomento.net/cierran-11-hot...segun-entidad/

computer translation upon request:

11 hotels in Dominican R. closed due to low occupancy

By ALI NUÑEZDate: September 27, 2019

SANTO DOMINGO.- Eleven hotels in the Dominican Republic have closed completely and others have done so partially, due to the significant decrease in the demand for accommodation, which affects some 10,000 employees in the sector, the Autonomous Trade Union Confederation reported Thursday Classist (CASC).

In a press document sent to ALMOMENTO.NET, he stressed that tourism activity is vital because it generates more than 94 thousand direct and 242 thousand indirect jobs. In addition, he said tourism generated revenues for 2018 close to 7,560 million dollars.

The entity, which did not disclose the names of these establishments, said that these days, the hotel occupancy rate is around 30%, when in its full history an average above 65 percent is verified at this time of year.

“The Dominican Republic cannot spare any effort in the design of a real strategic plan, in the medium and long term, away from immediate party policies. If this is done, consciously, breaking the traditional schemes and paradigms of bringing models pulled by the bows, local tourism can contribute to creating decent, well-paid jobs, taking advantage of the cultural potential and the diversity of microclimates and diverse environments that the country, ”said the document.

The CASC indicated that the Social, Solidarity and Sustainable Tourism Agency (TURISSOL), created by the entity five years ago, has decided not to miss this day and make some proposals and put the proposal of the social tourism law into the public's hands , supportive and sustainable. Recognizing that tourism generates 10% of global jobs globally and represents 10% of global GDP.
    Last edited by AlterEgo; 09-27-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add translation

Administrator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Prices in Canada for trips have dropped $300,person at all inclusive resort
    (Casa marnia,Sousa
    Be alive playa dorla) for two weeks

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompstr View Post
    Prices in Canada for trips have dropped $300,person at all inclusive resort
    (Casa marnia,Sousa
    Be alive playa dorla) for two weeks

It's low season now, prices always drop.
    Whoever introduces the old again to recognize the new, can be a teacher to others.
    (Confucius)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I got quotes for end of oct 22- nov 5
    Around 1200 flight meals everything

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I thinks its a bigger problem than low season. Been to the senator in maimon puerta plata twice in last two months. Last time I bet it was less than 5%. I had the pool to myself on thursday at 4:00 pm.

My pizza business down 50% in 2 months. I think its an economic slow down.

6. Likes jstarebel, nigrarosa liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Guy View Post
    I thinks its a bigger problem than low season.
    I'm afraid you're right. If you read the article, they're comparing apples to apples: "the hotel occupancy rate is around 30%, when in its full history an average above 65 percent is verified at this time of year."

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The article makes no reference to WHICH hotels have been closed, and most importantly, WHERE.
    A hotel closing in Bani or Barahona is not the same as a hotel closing in Santo Domingo or Punta Cana.

9. Likes alexw liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    The article makes no reference to WHICH hotels have been closed, and most importantly, WHERE.
    A hotel closing in Bani or Barahona is not the same as a hotel closing in Santo Domingo or Punta Cana.
    I am still watching for the Iberostar hotel en puerta plata for a price decrease. For 2 weeks there it is $2077 westjet from toronto single occupancy. Last year I got it for $1800. Still watching, and still booking either way. It is the best location to be close to the city, malecon

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I'm afraid you're right. If you read the article, they're comparing apples to apples: "the hotel occupancy rate is around 30%, when in its full history an average above 65 percent is verified at this time of year."
    The bad publicity suffered in the last few months is taking its toll.

Pull up the tourist statistics at https://www.bancentral.gov.do/a/d/2537-sector-turismo

Look at the difference in arrivals on July '18, August '18 as compared to July '19, August '19 at, for example, Punta Cana.

At PC alone their were 89k less passenger arrivals in July of 19 than July 18, and for August the figure is only slightly better at 56k less arrivals.

If those percentages continue into high season.........there will likely be more hotels temporarily closed.

Most bad publicity such as this usually takes 18 months before it is forgotten and things return to normal patterns.

I would not want to be a hotel operator in the DR right now. For them it may be a struggle for awhile longer.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

12. Likes drstock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see a list of closures.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

14. Likes Caonabo, Juan Bosch, El Rey de Mangu liked this post
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast