11 Hotels Closed

A

AlterEgo

11 hotels in DR have closed due to low occupancy, leaving thousands unemployed.

https://almomento.net/cierran-11-hoteles-en-r-dominicana-por-baja-ocupacion-segun-entidad/

computer translation upon request:

11 hotels in Dominican R. closed due to low occupancy

By ALI NUÑEZDate: September 27, 2019

SANTO DOMINGO.- Eleven hotels in the Dominican Republic have closed completely and others have done so partially, due to the significant decrease in the demand for accommodation, which affects some 10,000 employees in the sector, the Autonomous Trade Union Confederation reported Thursday Classist (CASC).

In a press document sent to ALMOMENTO.NET, he stressed that tourism activity is vital because it generates more than 94 thousand direct and 242 thousand indirect jobs. In addition, he said tourism generated revenues for 2018 close to 7,560 million dollars.

The entity, which did not disclose the names of these establishments, said that these days, the hotel occupancy rate is around 30%, when in its full history an average above 65 percent is verified at this time of year.

“The Dominican Republic cannot spare any effort in the design of a real strategic plan, in the medium and long term, away from immediate party policies. If this is done, consciously, breaking the traditional schemes and paradigms of bringing models pulled by the bows, local tourism can contribute to creating decent, well-paid jobs, taking advantage of the cultural potential and the diversity of microclimates and diverse environments that the country, ”said the document.

The CASC indicated that the Social, Solidarity and Sustainable Tourism Agency (TURISSOL), created by the entity five years ago, has decided not to miss this day and make some proposals and put the proposal of the social tourism law into the public's hands , supportive and sustainable. Recognizing that tourism generates 10% of global jobs globally and represents 10% of global GDP.

Last edited:
T

thompstr

Prices in Canada for trips have dropped $300,person at all inclusive resort
(Casa marnia,Sousa
Be alive playa dorla) for two weeks

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

F

frank recktenwald

Prices in Canada for trips have dropped $300,person at all inclusive resort
(Casa marnia,Sousa
Be alive playa dorla) for two weeks

It's low season now, prices always drop.

T

thompstr

I got quotes for end of oct 22- nov 5
Around 1200 flight meals everything

D

DR_Guy

I thinks its a bigger problem than low season. Been to the senator in maimon puerta plata twice in last two months. Last time I bet it was less than 5%. I had the pool to myself on thursday at 4:00 pm.

My pizza business down 50% in 2 months. I think its an economic slow down.

A

AlterEgo

I thinks its a bigger problem than low season.

I'm afraid you're right. If you read the article, they're comparing apples to apples: "the hotel occupancy rate is around 30%, when in its full history an average above 65 percent is verified at this time of year."

C

Caonabo

The article makes no reference to WHICH hotels have been closed, and most importantly, WHERE.
A hotel closing in Bani or Barahona is not the same as a hotel closing in Santo Domingo or Punta Cana.

B

billma90

The article makes no reference to WHICH hotels have been closed, and most importantly, WHERE.
A hotel closing in Bani or Barahona is not the same as a hotel closing in Santo Domingo or Punta Cana.
I am still watching for the Iberostar hotel en puerta plata for a price decrease. For 2 weeks there it is $2077 westjet from toronto single occupancy. Last year I got it for $1800. Still watching, and still booking either way. It is the best location to be close to the city, malecon

P

playacaribe2

I'm afraid you're right. If you read the article, they're comparing apples to apples: "the hotel occupancy rate is around 30%, when in its full history an average above 65 percent is verified at this time of year."

The bad publicity suffered in the last few months is taking its toll.

Pull up the tourist statistics at https://www.bancentral.gov.do/a/d/2537-sector-turismo

Look at the difference in arrivals on July '18, August '18 as compared to July '19, August '19 at, for example, Punta Cana.

At PC alone their were 89k less passenger arrivals in July of 19 than July 18, and for August the figure is only slightly better at 56k less arrivals.

If those percentages continue into high season.........there will likely be more hotels temporarily closed.

Most bad publicity such as this usually takes 18 months before it is forgotten and things return to normal patterns.

I would not want to be a hotel operator in the DR right now. For them it may be a struggle for awhile longer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

R

RDKNIGHT

if this trend continues into the high season ...there will be a fire sale on apts so if your looking to buy i would wait till after the high season and if its bad .... you can name your price on these apts or villa ......pennies on a dollar you will get them for...

one bad thing that is going to happen is the crime rate will be going up way up.... and if that happens and more bad press it will take 10 years to recovery .. bright side is great buying time ....

P

playacaribe2

I'd like to see a list of closures.

The only one I am aware of in Punta Cana is one of the Majestic properties.

My guess would be the bulk of the others would be smaller boutique type hotels as they are usually the first to be most affected given their lack of size and ability to weather these kinds of downturns.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

C

Caonabo

if this trend continues into the high season ...there will be a fire sale on apts so if your looking to buy i would wait till after the high season and if its bad .... you can name your price on these apts or villa ......pennies on a dollar you will get them for...

one bad thing that is going to happen is the crime rate will be going up way up.... and if that happens and more bad press it will take 10 years to recovery .. bright side is great buying time ....

Hotel occupancy and real estate sales are two entirely different entities. The bad publicity regarding AI's incurred earlier this year, has ZERO bearing on the real estate market here.

W

windeguy

Why would All Inclusive resort hotels closing up result in a fire sale on apartments or villas?

The two markets are not closely related to one another.

G

Garyexpat

I am still watching for the Iberostar hotel en puerta plata for a price decrease. For 2 weeks there it is $2077 westjet from toronto single occupancy. Last year I got it for $1800. Still watching, and still booking either way. It is the best location to be close to the city, malecon

I stayed in Cofresi Tripical 2 nights ago for $80 per room based on 2 guests. First time there. The property/pools were very nice. Down side I ate off property except for breakfast yesterday. I'll never understand how someone can screw up breakfast but it was horrible.

W

windeguy

Worrisome decline in tourism

Santo Domingo.-The Agency for Social, Solidarity and Sustainable Tourism (Turissol) on Thurs. labeled as worrisome the decline in Dominican Republic’s tourism amid the some 11 hotels that have closed in the east region.

As today Friday marks International Tourism Day, Turissol

Executive Director Jesús Berroa, urged the Government rethink the strategy as a tourist destination, diversifying the scenarios especially in the Punta Cana area.

“We have to promote the entire Dominican Republic and its culture, because we are not just a beach,” Berroa told Hoy.com.do.

He said international tourism calls for social contact and independence in the destinations they visit.

“The Chinese tourist, for example, wants to diversify his hotels. Not looking to last 10 days in Punta Cana, no. He prefers to spend two days in different cities experiencing different scenarios.”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2019/09/27/worrisome-decline-in-tourism-11-hotels-shutter/

W

windeguy

At least we know the 11 hotels that closed are in the "east region".

And those Chinese tourists want more to do than be at one AI for a week to 10 days. Good luck with that.