The drought is here to stay - The UN has spoken

W

windeguy

Santo Domingo.- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) representative in the Dominican Republic, Carmelo Gallardo, warned Wed. that the drought has come “to stay” in the country.

“Drought, in my opinion, has come to stay. The long periods of drought, unfortunately, are part of the consequences of climate change and we have to adapt,” Gallardo told reporters before participating in the XXIX Meeting of the Regional Committee on Agricultural Statistics and Food Security for Latin America and FAO Caribbean.

He said that it’s necessary to complement the actions currently being carried out by the Government with initiatives aimed at prevention and stressed the importance of defining, from cooperation, an “array of good practices to maintain good production even in conditions of drought.”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...-dominican-republic-drought-has-come-to-stay/

M

melphis

Just another example of how useless the UN is.

I agree but where else can you have hysterical teenagers rant about the climate. I stand corrected. She just gave Justin Trudeau a failing grade.
Why must the media keep imposing these self proclaimed morons upon us.

C

cobraboy

I agree but where else can you have hysterical teenagers rant about the climate. I stand corrected. She just gave Justin Trudeau a failing grade.
Why must the media keep imposing these self proclaimed morons upon us.
Because they couldn't make the case with Fake Science.

N

NanSanPedro

Well, if it helps the drought any, I could switch to beer.

F

frank recktenwald

The last couple of days we had quite a bit of rain here in the Netherlands however the river by my house we used to dive in from the bridge as kids is now ankle deep at the same spot.
The little lakes close by where I used to swim in are only half the size of what they used to be.
What about the dried up lakes and lack of water in California or South Africa just to name a few.
Future generations will experience extreme droughts and the problems it will bring.
No, I'm not only influenced by what I read, I use my eyes to see what's happening and it ain't good what I see. :ermm:

E

etolw

Discussing climate on any forum is futile, climate models regarding precipication are even more complex and harder to understand/forecast than temperature models.Anyway I have some minutes I can waste, here we go.

Higher temperature in the oceans means more evoporation of water, simple physics/fact.
Where this water is going to come down as rain is not easy to predict, and more often we will see heavy rainfalls/flooding of some areas.

The models I have seen predict more rain in DR/US/Canada. Less in central europe, with more droughts over there.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/05/08/united-states-is-virtually-drought-free-first-time-decades-while-excessive-rains-are-rampant/

The accelerated and decelerated warming seen in some locations is partly associated with rainfall changes. The climate models that project the strongest acceleration in local warming – in places such as Central Europe in summer – also tend to project decreases in rainfall. In these regions, rainfall and temperature projections are inextricably linked. Here, models with drying trends also have less cooling associated with evaporation and this results in accelerated warming.

The map below shows the relationship between the nonlinearity in local temperatures and the change in rainfall for the northern hemisphere summer. Negative correlations shaded brown indicate models that dry out also tend to have accelerated local warming compared with other models.

Adapt, drink beer and do not worry. If a meteor did not extinct all dinosaurs, we probably would not be here.
That’s something to be happy about.

Last edited:
E

etolw

The last couple of days we had quite a bit of rain here in the Netherlands however the river by my house we used to dive in from the bridge as kids is now ankle deep at the same spot.
The little lakes close by where I used to swim in are only half the size of what they used to be.
Well, since one half of the Netherlands is flood-prone and about one-quarter is below sea level, I would be worried more with the rising sea level.
https://www.uu.nl/en/news/the-question-is-not-if-the-netherlands-will-disappear-below-sea-level-but-when

E

Ecoman1949

Before the Netherlands will be flooded the world will already have succumbed to some other catastrophes. ;)

Not to worry Frank. If the DR drought continues, I can always charter a tugboat and tow a few icebergs from my area to the DR. Lol! Latest UN climate change report is not kind to the US West. Predicting major decline in rivers and lakes resulting in a virtual loss of hydro generating capacity. I can see the potential for smaller scale nuclear powered electrical generating plants.

B

bob saunders

Not to worry Frank. If the DR drought continues, I can always charter a tugboat and tow a few icebergs from my area to the DR. Lol! Latest UN climate change report is not kind to the US West. Predicting major decline in rivers and lakes resulting in a virtual loss of hydro generating capacity. I can see the potential for smaller scale nuclear powered electrical generating plants.

or gasp, using coal again.

M

melphis

So the drought is here to stay. I don't know if these clowns have seen how close the DR has come to being hit by a major hurricane the past few years. By the grace of god (and some strong high pressure systems) we have been spared a few direct hits.

If and when we do get nailed by a hurricane these same clowns that preached drought will scream from the hill tops about climate change. Never once accepting that the Dominican Republic is smack dab in the middle of the Caribbean and is prone to hurricanes and tropical storms.

Yesterday I watched a bit of the local news where all these hysterical students where about to march for awareness of climate change. Some of these same idiots dusted off their old "global warming" banners to participate in the march while they where wearing down filled jackets and toques (head warmers for you Americans). This is still September and if you have to wear a winter jacket in western Canada in September there is no global warming and they are either to stupid or to lazy to realize this.

I have to ask is there so little real news in the world today that the media has to endorse this hysterical frenzy of climate change. I totally agree we need to start taking some serious action about looking after our world and managing it a lot better than we are. But enough with the fake crap. Start listening to actual science not the hyped up crap.

C

cobraboy

So the drought is here to stay. I don't know if these clowns have seen how close the DR has come to being hit by a major hurricane the past few years. By the grace of god (and some strong high pressure systems) we have been spared a few direct hits.
The big mountain ranges are why hurricanes steer clear of the DR for direct hits.

M

malko

Get real guys, a couple days of rain has made you forget the months of drought. When cows are dying of thirst, platanos are at 20-25 pesos a unit, you just know some **** aint working right.
The only crazies screaming " fake news " on global warming are sad selfish 70+ years old. I just hope they go extinct, before they lead the whole world on the extinction path.