Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh, "The cost of living is so much cheaper here!"

So many people, especially those with plans to move here, make this statement and set it in concrete. I'd like to open a discussion (especially after reading the post from the family moving from Seattle) about COL.
    COL< made up of a basket of rent, taxes, food, utilities,.... you all know the rest. It also is a relative scale, to me at leas,t because we have different life styles and standards of living.

My question is, are people honest with themselves when they make the statement? Do most people really think this out? Have these people been in a supermarket? Or a gas station. Or Plaza Salud? or, on and on with ALL the parts of the basket?

I have no horse in this race because I'm doing the" whole living thing" another way which of course is by my choice. But, I would love to hear the observations from the forum on the true story of COL.

2. Likes ramesses liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    So many people, especially those with plans to move here, make this statement and set it in concrete. I'd like to open a discussion (especially after reading the post from the family moving from Seattle) about COL.
    COL< made up of a basket of rent, taxes, food, utilities,.... you all know the rest. It also is a relative scale, to me at leas,t because we have different life styles and standards of living.

My question is, are people honest with themselves when they make the statement? Do most people really think this out? Have these people been in a supermarket? Or a gas station. Or Plaza Salud? or, on and on with ALL the parts of the basket?

I have no horse in this race because I'm doing the" whole living thing" another way which of course is by my choice. But, I would love to hear the observations from the forum on the true story of COL.
    Having lived years in the DR, IMO, the issue is exactly what you write above, people have different lifestyles, and to each one, their own lifestyle is the one to compare to.

I'm European, live here with my wife (from here) and two small kids, in Puerto Plata. We're both in our early 30s and have high education.

Many expats write that cost if living is cheap compared to where they come from. I say that this strongly depends on your lifestyle (as stated above) and where you come from. Many years ago, when it was just me and my wife living here, our monthly budget was something very different than it's now. We were fine living in a cheaper area, did hardly consume electricity and everything (basically: food) was just for two persons. That's not the case anymore. With two small kids, I refuse to live in a similar neighborhood where we used to live. Health insurance and ensuring proper education is also a must.

In our current situation, not many things are cheaper than in Europe. More expensive are electricity, and food and means of communication (telcom). Cheaper are: housing, transportation. I have understood that for Americans, gasoline pricing here is expensive, whereas for me it's very cheap. One might say that they pay this and that for electricity where as someone else pays something else. That someone else might need/prefer a/c turned on more often than the first person. Again, each of us has individual lifestyle/needs/preferences. I think that the only valid way to compare if the luz is expensive or not is by the kWh pricing. That pricing is of course sometimes a bit complicated as it changes as per your consumption, but what you've in fact consumed, should be always stated on your bill.

For food, locally produced items are usually cheaper, but this again goes with one's dietary preferences. We mostly purchase local stuff, but we have certain items that go with more European diet (breakfast for example), and those are expensive.

4. Likes dulce, frank12, ramesses, Caonabo, keepcoming and 3 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak for me ... I live in the punta cana area been here for 6 yrs came from new york city .. for me it's 30-40 percent cheaper than NYC ...electric bill here $300 usd with full air everysecond in the NYC that would cost me easy 600..also food is cheaper ....only thing i dont like is all products are made cheaper a nd break quickly basically there are S***...... Products mean pipes, tools, general house needs.. thank god we have amazon ... I pay more but i get good stuff..... also the apt i have is 4 bedroom i rent for a 1K in NYC that apt is and easy 4K if not more.....

6. Likes frank12, ramesses liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with all of the above. So much depends on where you come from and your lifestyle. For example, if you are used to paying high fuel bills for heating, you make a big saving here. However, if you then use air-conditioning, and didn't need to where you came from, it gets expensive.

8. Likes ramesses, Russell liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an old joke about the worlds three biggest lies being
    "the check is in the mail, just let me put the head in and I wont come in you mouth."
    The cost of living is cheaper here is the fourth lie.

You eat mostly beans and rice, live in a dangerous area, no screens on the windows and have no car
    you can live cheap anywhere in the world.

10. Likes ramesses liked this post
    Dislikes Caonabo disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    There is an old joke about the worlds three biggest lies being
    "the check is in the mail, just let me put the head in and I wont come in you mouth."
    The cost of living is cheaper here is the fourth lie.

You eat mostly beans and rice, live in a dangerous area, no screens on the windows and have no car
    you can live cheap anywhere in the world.
    None of the things in the last sentence apply to me, but I still live considerably cheaper here than in the UK.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ted-countries/
    Based on the link above most of Europe has higher electrical prices than the majority of the DR.
    My last bill 200 kWh x 4.44 pesos, 100 kWh x 6.97, and 48 kWh x 10.86 for a total bill of 2,243.53 PESOS or approximately 42 dollars and that is one of our higher bills. Gas - I normal use about 6000 pesos a month worth, so expensive gas but I travel shorter distances so use less, Health Insurance - Palic Prestige which pays about 80 percent on average for all services, 100 percent on many , we pay 8600 per month for two people. Other than oatmeal, Granola, Cheese and Almond milk which we buy at Pricesmart we shop locally and yes veggies and fruit are generally cheap in Jarabacoa. We have the advantage of being gifted fruit and veggies by parents of students. We also have our own orange tree that produces a massive amount of oranges, We also have several other fruit trees. I just bought 50 avocados off Russ, a canadian guy here at 10 pesos each- they are fantastic. Cellphone 1800 pesos per month. Water 625 per month. Food- varies from month to month but certainly more expensive if you eat out of cans and boxes.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    None of the things in the last sentence apply to me, but I still live considerably cheaper here than in the UK.
    Are there places in the UK where you could live almost as cheap as the DR or is this true for the entire country?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ted-countries/
    Based on the link above most of Europe has higher electrical prices than the majority of the DR.
    My last bill 200 kWh x 4.44 pesos, 100 kWh x 6.97, and 48 kWh x 10.86 for a total bill of 2,243.53 PESOS or approximately 42 dollars and that is one of our higher bills. Gas - I normal use about 6000 pesos a month worth, so expensive gas but I travel shorter distances so use less, Health Insurance - Palic Prestige which pays about 80 percent on average for all services, 100 percent on many , we pay 8600 per month for two people. Other than oatmeal, Granola, Cheese and Almond milk which we buy at Pricesmart we shop locally and yes veggies and fruit are generally cheap in Jarabacoa. We have the advantage of being gifted fruit and veggies by parents of students. We also have our own orange tree that produces a massive amount of oranges, We also have several other fruit trees. I just bought 50 avocados off Russ, a canadian guy here at 10 pesos each- they are fantastic. Cellphone 1800 pesos per month. Water 625 per month. Food- varies from month to month but certainly more expensive if you eat out of cans and boxes.
    Almond milk? I didn’t even know they had nipples?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

Public transport is much cheaper here than the UK. I travelled from home to Punta Cana on two buses. Comfortable seat, plenty of leg room, aircon, television, wifi, seat belts and toilet. Journey time, around 10 hours, cost RD$800. Taxi in between bus stations, time 15 minutes, cost RD$200. On arrival in England I took a train. Comfortable seats, good leg room, wifi, no seat belts, no aircon, no TV. Journey time 2 hours, cost RD$2,400. Train travelled a little faster than the bus. Taxi to home, time 20 minutes, cost RD$600.

Matilda
    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums

17. Likes jinty05 liked this post
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast