Recession Looming in DR?

D

DR_Guy

My observations over the last few weeks:

- Eleven hotels close with occupancy rate of 30, normally 65% this time of year.
- Presidente considerably raised the price of beer last week.
- My sales are down 60% in Pizza and Beer over the last 30 days.
- A successful business in my town built a new location and closed last week after being open 21 days.
- Friend who owns car wash now has only income from contract with a mine. Local customers gone.
- Peso dropping like a rock.
- Central Bank intervention.

I originally attributed this to uncertainty over the elections. However, I generally think we are facing an economic downturn that will hit hard.

Anyone else have similar observations?

Cheers!

T

thompstr

Where is your pizza shop located
Coming down to DR Sousa end of October would like to support you and stop in for a few beers and pizza

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

D

DR_Guy

Thanks for your kind thoughts. My pizza shop is in Maimón (Bonao) which is off the beaten trail unless you like Jet Skiis and Bass Fishing. We are having a tournament first week of November.

D

drSix

This is posted every fall. Ya'all spent the last three months roasting in the summer heat and getting drunk every day because it's the slow season and you have no customers to attend to. You're dehydrated and having delusions from heat stroke.

In a few months, you'll be forced to sober up because you'll have a bunch of business, it wont be nearly as hot and the Holidays will be upon you.

Then you can bitch about all the damn tourists clogging up the roads and the long lines at the grocery stores.

:)

R

RDKNIGHT

I agree a recession is coming but it will be a world recession in the usa they are on a 12 year run of growth ...its only normal for a pull back what goes up must come down .... put your money in cash and just wait... for your opportunities.....in real estate and the stock market......buy low sell high ....

D

DR_Guy

This is posted every fall. Ya'all spent the last three months roasting in the summer heat and getting drunk every day because it's the slow season and you have no customers to attend to. You're dehydrated and having delusions from heat stroke.

In a few months, you'll be forced to sober up because you'll have a bunch of business, it wont be nearly as hot and the Holidays will be upon you.

Then you can bitch about all the damn tourists clogging up the roads and the long lines at the grocery stores.

:)

Your an idiot.

C

chico bill

Thanks for your kind thoughts. My pizza shop is in Maimón (Bonao) which is off the beaten trail unless you like Jet Skiis and Bass Fishing. We are having a tournament first week of November.

Is the lake near full ?

C

chico bill

Maybe the Chinese will bail out DR ?
But don't bet on it, they see to me contracting too - Yea !

C

Caonabo

My observations over the last few weeks:

- Eleven hotels close with occupancy rate of 30, normally 65% this time of year.
- Presidente considerably raised the price of beer last week.
- My sales are down 60% in Pizza and Beer over the last 30 days.
- A successful business in my town built a new location and closed last week after being open 21 days.
- Friend who owns car wash now has only income from contract with a mine. Local customers gone.
- Peso dropping like a rock.
- Central Bank intervention.

I originally attributed this to uncertainty over the elections. However, I generally think we are facing an economic downturn that will hit hard.

Anyone else have similar observations?

Cheers!

1. Can you name the eleven hotels that have closed?
2. Presidente raises their prices every September.
3. Have you examined all facets of your business in order to diagnose what is contributing to the 60% drop?
4. A business which closes in 21 days was not planned out correctly.
5. Have the locals stopped washing their cars, or are there other options for them?
6. I agree that the peso is dropping. This is good for some.
7. What would you prefer the Central Bank to do?

D

Drperson

bass fishing

Ok please tell me about bass fishing there.
Is this on a fresh water lake?
I would like to visit . Tks

D

DR_Guy

Ok please tell me about bass fishing there.
Is this on a fresh water lake?
I would like to visit . Tks

Haltillo is the largest freshwater lake in the Caribbean. It is near the town of Maimón in Monseñor Noel, locally known as Maimón Bonao. We have several decent Hotels (La Cascada run by a Brit) and access to the lake. Largemouth bass and other types.

We have a big bass tourney each year (sometimes twice). Give me some time and I will post a separate thread with the particulars.

L

ljmesg

Recession looming in the DR is like saying it's possible a pig's feet may get dirtier[emoji849]