Buying a home using an LLC

E

elbronco718

I'm an avid lurker, and had a question for the great minds of DR1. I'm interesting in buying an apartment in Puerto Plata but i'd like to do so under an American LLC. I will be putting 20% down cash and financing the rest through a bank, is there anything I need to do in the DR, or can i just finance it thru my LLC? The apartment complex hasnt been completed so I still have time.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

M

melphis

The best advice I can give you is do not put one peso or penny down until the building is 100% complete and titles are available.

J

johne

I'm an avid lurker, and had a question for the great minds of DR1. I'm interesting in buying an apartment in Puerto Plata but i'd like to do so under an American LLC. I will be putting 20% down cash and financing the rest through a bank, is there anything I need to do in the DR, or can i just finance it thru my LLC? The apartment complex hasnt been completed so I still have time.

A couple of questions:
1. Why buy and not rent?
2. Are you putting it in a LLC for a reason that you can share here on a public forum?

K

KyleMackey

A couple of questions:
1. Why buy and not rent?
2. Are you putting it in a LLC for a reason that you can share here on a public forum?

Although not a DR legal expert, ownership of real estate in the form of an LLC offers less personal exposure than having it in your name.

J

johne

Although not a DR legal expert, ownership of real estate in the form of an LLC offers less personal exposure than having it in your name.[/QUOTE

That's correct. However, there are other reasons for and against and I'm curious.

J

JDJones

May I ask if it's a local bank? Got all your ducks in a row there?

C

Cdn_Gringo

I'm waiting to hear if his US bank will mortgage a property in the DR.

S

Sosua Sonny

If you have a proven track record with the bank then they would. I have used Royal Bank in Canada to finance commercial property in Jamaica.

J

JDJones

A US bank will finance anything anywhere if you say the magic word 'collateral"

So, a US bank is willing to end up with a property in Jamaica or the DR when the buyer defaults?

C

ctrob

So, a US bank is willing to end up with a property in Jamaica or the DR when the buyer defaults?

No, they don't. Local collateral. Think Line of Credit or Home Equity Loan. It's already collateralized, but you can spend it on whatever/wherever you want.

E

elbronco718

I'm sorry if I wasnt thorough enough. I will be financing the property through a bank in the dominican republic but instead of purchasing it under John Doe the individual i am interested in purchasing it under "John Does' LLC". My family has purchased condos from the developer prior so I'm not really worried about losing the property, even though i dont want too sound too cocky as it is DR. I have already put the 20% down. Now when the property is finished I have to finance the other 80% through a bank in DR.

Basically I am curious to know if any ex-pats have purchased any properties through a business entity instead of an individual.

E

elbronco718

A couple of questions:
1. Why buy and not rent?

I am dominican american. Spend most of my time in New York but interested in buying an investment property. The reason I rather do it thru an LLC is for tax reasons. I can deduct expenses etc.

E

elbronco718

My brother financed his property thru a bank in DR. Havent thought of financing a property in DR thru an american bank. I'll look into it. These interest rates in DR are so high its scary

T

Timotero

I am dominican american. Spend most of my time in New York but interested in buying an investment property. The reason I rather do it thru an LLC is for tax reasons. I can deduct expenses etc.

I’m not sure, but I don’t believe you can deduct foreign mortgage expenses on a U.S. Tax Return?

F

Fabio J. Guzman

Whether to buy through an LLC or personally is an issue that needs to be examined case by case. The solution depends on the particular situation of the owner and the risks he or she is willing to take.

The main advantage of holding a property under a corporate structure is very much the same everywhere: limited liability, meaning that company assets are not liable for the personal obligations of the owner. For example, if you have a car accident or have problems paying your creditors, only property held personally can be affected, not the property held by the company.

In addition, holding property under a company also allows for quick resales since reselling all the shares of the asset-holding company is easier, faster and less expensive than it is to convey real estate.

Also, companies are a useful tool for estate planning.

Finally, if the company is in fact a working company paying income taxes: (a) the owner may deduct any property taxes paid from the income tax due, in effect negating property taxes; (b) the owner may also deduct property expenses.

The disadvantages are two: (a) the continuing expense of running the company. about $300-500 a year; and (b) that companies pay an annual 1% tax on assets, while individually-owned property only pays the 1% tax on any value greater than 7,438,197 pesos.