Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rechecking bag on connection flights to international destinations?

Hi guys,

So if anyone could confirm if this is true or not that has flown to DR or another country recently within the last month and had a connection within the US before your international flight. Supposedly, my father who went to the DR last week out of Detroit with connection in Boston to SDQ was told new rules as of September 2019 that you must recheck your bag on domestic connections now? I thought this was only for incoming flights from international? He said he found this out when he didn't receive his bag at SDQ and called the airline. Is this true? I'm probably traveling to DR soon and this will mean I'll at least have to take longer layovers now. Obviously no direct flights from Detroit to DR (except Punta Cana)

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

I returned Tampa to Miami to Santiago on Tuesday, October 1st and I did not have to recheck my bags in Miami.

I flew on American Airlines.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I flew LAS-MIA-LHR mid september and my luggage was checked through. LAS-MIA was on AA, MiA-LHR on BA but on one BA ticket. I chatted with customer service at BA couple days before and they confirmed it will be checked through if both flights are on one ticket, if seperate tickets I would have to recheck it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch the luggage tag - it will indicate the flights....

But always ask if in doubt.....

should have been DTW-BOS-SDQ

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Yeah I don't know what the case with my dads luggage was then? He had same airline and tag ending in SDQ. I'm not sure why the Rep would tell him that if its not true. As long as the tag includes end destination booked through one ticket m, it always automatically gets sent through.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I never had to re-check my bags when connecting to another domestic destination prior to my international travel., i.e. JFK - MIA - SDQ. What is there to recheck? You already went thru TSA and checked via the airlines. Now, on the return trip, i.e. SDQ - MIA - JFK. I will have to go thru customs and grab my bags, re-check them and go thru TSA. Understandable because you are on US soil. And MIA is your first point of entry.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Flew PHX-CLT-SDQ and did not have to recheck. Did your dad fly 2 different carriers?

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

ALWAYS remember to remove any airline tags after you reach your last stop.

This last trip of mine, American Airline was also, besides the normal baggage tag, putting a small 1" by 2" bar code sticker on the luggage.

I made sure to remove them after my last stop.

Don

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the Airline, usually if you do not have to recheck your suitcase in the tag appears the airport code of the final destination, if has the code for the airport that you are connecting that mean you have to recheck, always is good to ask about it at the moment of the check in, they will tell you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm flying DCA (Wash) to POP on AA in 2 weeks and called re checked luggage. What you check in the States goes through to your final destination. I don't usually check luggage so I called AA and they confirmed what I've written.

If memory serves it's if you check luggage on your return that you have to recheck as you have to go through passport control where you land before your final destination.

11. Likes Riva_31 liked this post