Voting in the primaries

M

Matilda

I have just been to vote for the first time as a Dominican. No one offered to buy my cedula and the voting station was policed and with more electoral personnel than voters. A very simple system, using a touch screen computer, and at the end a ticket is printed out which you fold in four (I was told) and put in a cardboard box. For those who do not know what is happening today:

1. Today people vote for who will be the presidential candidate for the ruling PLD party, in which there are two front runners, Gonzalo Castillo (the choice of current president, Danilo Medina, and former president Leonel Fernandez. In addition you vote for your PLD candidate for the local positions of senator, deputies, mayor and councillors. Everyone on the electoral roll has the right to vote.

2. Also voting for the PRM candidates - front runners for presidential candidate being Hippolito Mejia and Luis Abinader. You can only vote if you are a member of the PRM party and listed on their voting register.

3. Reports around the country of a few shootings, lots of cases of cedula purchasing and members of the PRM are cross as some could not vote for their presidential candidate as they were not on the PRM voting register.

4. The mother of Gonzalo Castillo pressed the button on the computer to say she did not want to vote - by mistake!

5. The results should be quick as it is all electronic, but given lack of luz or internet at some places, and the insistence by Leonel Fernandez that 20% of the votes should be manually counted (wonder how he knows that the electronic system can be manipulated) it may take a while.

Matilda

E

El Rey de Mangu

I have just been to vote for the first time as a Dominican. No one offered to buy my cedula and the voting station was policed and with more electoral personnel than voters

In front of Janets (Cab) at the school "word on the street" this morning at 730am was they were buying cedulas at 1000 pesos.

W

william webster

slight mayhem in Cabrera at the voting stations (schools)....

Activity ( perhaps violence) expected after the count

I have been cautioned to stay off the streets..........

U

USA DOC

In front of Janets (Cab) at the school "word on the street" this morning at 730am was they were buying cedulas at 1000 pesos.

… mi girl fren ….got $200 pesos and a chicken for her vote...alas it was in the campo......

F

Fulano2

It’s improving. It used to be a Induveca salami in La Vega in the ninetees..

J

johne

What percentage of ex-pats vote in the DR elections? What percentage of ex-pats vote in their former country? How many of the active participants in the US Political forum vote or are proactive in US politics?

Just curious.

A

AlterEgo

What percentage of ex-pats vote in the DR elections? What percentage of ex-pats vote in their former country? How many of the active participants in the US Political forum vote or are proactive in US politics?

Just curious.

Please keep all responses to Dominican politics only, gracias.

M

Matilda

It is nearly over - until the screams of fraud start. Luis Abinader runaway winner for the PRM. The Gonzalo Castillo/Leonel Fernandez battle was neck and neck with Fernandez in the lead always, until up to around 88% of the votes counted. Now we are at 98% of votes counted, Leonel has 849,320 for 47.59% and Gonzalo has 863,387 for 48.38% of votes. Looks pretty certain Gonzalo had it, but odd he only overtook Leonel over the last hour or so. Methinks there will be tears.

Matilda

M

Matilda

Leonel held a press conference, where the signal kept breaking down for some strange reason. He does not accept the result, says there was an algorithm in the software which clicked in when 88% of the votes were counted. Watch this space.

Matilda

L

Luperon

Leonel held a press conference, where the signal kept breaking down for some strange reason. He does not accept the result, says there was an algorithm in the software which clicked in when 88% of the votes were counted. Watch this space.

Matilda
Thank you for the updates. Do you predict violence?

M

Matilda

Thank you for the updates. Do you predict violence?

I think there is a strong possibility, but the result will stand whatever he does or his supporters do. It happened in 2016 when there was massive manipulation of the automatic system, and despite the violence, the burning down of local juntas, every result stood. Leonel had a meeting with international observers before the election and he is now calling on them, but I am sure there will be violence in different areas and I predict Gonzalo Castillo will be the candidate, as violence will not change the result. There is of course the possibility that the result is correct - Leonel was a massive winner in Santiago and if those were counted first, that would account for why he was in the lead for so long. I need to examine the results in more detail when they are all available to work it out.

Matilda

M

malko

Plucked out of thin air----- aka conversations on the street-----nobody wanted fernandez anyway, as he is painted as the King Thief...... and the Cartel's bitc.h.

R

rubio_higuey

When Leonel was winning, most of the electoral tables from the south were not counted in. Gonzalo started to go up as the South started to come in. Everyone and his uncle knows Gonzalo is super strong in the South. Those were the tables that came in last. You can watch the video and the map of tables counted here.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1DXxypbqXRRJM

The darker the places on the map, the fewer the tables counted. Green means fully counted.

R

rubio_higuey

Matilda

85% of tables counted, that's approximately when the south provinces started to come in in major numbers. Leonel is not very liked in the South from what I heard in the chatter.

M

Matilda

85% of tables counted, that's approximately when the south provinces started to come in in major numbers. Leonel is not very liked in the South from what I heard in the chatter.

Exactly. The Gonzalo votes came in later.

C

chico bill

So the PLD is accused of openly buying votes at the polls ? Does that mean Gonzalo Castillo is no different that an Chicago Democrat politician ?

And why is votes are being "openly" bought isn't someone at these polling places available to arrest them ?

I wonder how much people are paid to vote for the PLD ? And how can they be sure that person actually votes for them ?
Who funds this "vote harvesting"