Mejia for 2004?

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
In america it is very obvious to anyone who knows anything about politics that no one democrat is likely to beat George W. for 2004. But what about Mejiain the DR? Will he be re-elected? Why? Why not?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
With 3 major parties and a number of small ones, it is very difficult for one party to get the required percentage of votes needed to win the election in the first round of voting. This means a runoff election between top two. In this country, the parties are very accustomed to forming alliances with other parties to achieve their goals. In 1996, the PRSC and PLD teamed up to prevent the PRD candidate, Pena Gomez, from winning the presidency. Lionel won instead.

At present, the constitution prevents a sitting president from running in the next presidencial election. Consequently Lionel could not run in 2000. It is very likely he will run again in 2004, and--despite Mejia's constant efforts to demean him--he is still a popular politician. With PRSC backing, there is a good chance he could win the election.

But first, for Mejia to be a candidate, the constitution would have to be changed to permit him to run again. The PRD won a very large percentage of the seats in the Assembly and Senate in the last election, but it is my understanding that they didn't win enough to change the constitution without support from one of the other major parties.

Next two years will be interesting as the parties wheel and deal in anticipation of the 2004 presidencial election.

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
Wow, I didn't know that about the Constitution. Do you know when it was written in? Do you think that any one President has been better than another, I happen to think that Lionel did a better job than Mejia, for the country, but that Mejia is working more in favor with the Dominican people...do you feel the same way? Does anybody?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't recall the year that the Constitution was changed, but it was the same change that split the President and the other offices, so that all offices don't run on the same ticket at same time. Leonel was the first president unable to succeed himself.

Some efforts now being made, especially by PR, to change Constitution to permit a sitting president to run for reelection, to have all offices filled in same election, and to reduce the percentage required to win presidency in first round. These changes are not for the benefit of the country but for the politicians of PRD. There is powerful opposition, including the Catholic church. Hopefully these changes will not be enacted.

IMHO, Mejia's efforts for the "people" are intended to increase support of his constituents, and to increase their numbers. Suppose it can be argued this is better for country in very short run. But to move ahead in the world, making the DR a better place for all of its citizens, I personally believe a man like Leonel is much better as president.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Trauma Electoral

This is a good book by Juan Bolivar Diaz leading up to the constitutional changes of 1994 and Balaguer's last term being reduced from 4 to 2 years. There are websites where you can read the constitutions from countries all over the world, including the DR.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Would like to see an admendment that would allow a president to run for a second term but limit him/her (PIB) to two terms as is done here in the States. Of course with PIB it would become a benevolent dictatorship...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Constitution here means little!

The Dominican Constitution is a Political Document.It can,and has been, changed on several occasions.It will now be "changed" yet again to allow "Hipolito" to run for a 2nd. term as President.He(Hipolito) will win re-election.The government payroll has increased about 30 % over the "Leonel" years.Dominicans don,t vote for "political ideology",they vote for the Political Party that gives away the most "chickens,beans & rice"! The PRD is doing a fantastic job of borrowing money,and giving it away to its party faithful.How many idiots have you seen in their new "Jepetta" who don,t know how to work the "power widows"? Thats because yesterday(Before the PRD) they were riding a "pasola"!Here,just like everywhere in the world,people get the kind of government they deserve! Criss Colon

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
I think the Dominican people do deserve some of the blame for the current state that they are in. Sammy once said that one group that he was trying to help by giving them food ended up dumping the stuff in the streets.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Amway pulleeknow,"MISTER ME TOO!"

Mr "Cause and Effect",how about an "ORIGINAL" thought? "Oh No"! Not "Mister A.P. Fluff-n-Stuff!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:devious: :bored: :mad:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Constitution was last amended in 1994

The constitution was last amended on August 14, 1994, after blatant fraud used in the elections of that same year to return Balaguer to office. Part of the bargain struck, under international pressure, was to have Balaguer's term shortened to 2 years and the constitution (or Magna Carta as the Dominicans like to refer to it) amended to prevent any president from serving for more than one term. The constitutional change, ironically enough, was insisted on by Mejia's own party, the PRD, and its standard-bearer, Pe?a Gomez. And the PRD repeatedly opposed any amendment for re-election when Leonel was in office, saying that the one-term rule was a good idea and sacrosant. But Hipo's men changed their tunes as soon as he was elected, and starting talking about amending the constitution to permit re-election even before Hipo took the oath of office! So you see how much "principle" matters to these guys! Regards,
Keith

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
I'm serious...

Does Sammy Sosa have any political affiliations? He's a Dominican hero (might even have principles, I say might cause after all he is one of us) and he seems like he'd make a good President. He's rich, he's relatively tall, and the people know who he is, in a country where offices can be bought, how could he lose?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: I'm serious...

AmbiorixPaulino said:
and he seems like he'd make a good President. He's rich, he's relatively tall, and the people know who he is,

And these are the qualities you look for in a possible president? I guess education, management experience and ethics are 2nd compare to being rich, tall and popular. Under your criteria Micheal Jordon should be President.

Tony C.

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
Well I've been hoping for the last 3 years that Jordan makes up his mind to run. I think he'd win because of the things that I mentioned before and the fact that he has a clean record. Do you see any other African American making it to office any time soon? No. Also Tony, what I was implying in my post was that anybody who's rich, tall, etc. can get elected, not that I thought that they'd be good for the job. But honestly I'd rather see Sammy in place of Mejia or Jordan in place of Bush anyday, but that's just me.