Renting a scooter.

M

mofongoloco

Yes. I know. I can't believe I'm asking about this. Exclusivley for daytime use 100% sober. I'm experienced using one in Boston and routinely take 100+ mile trips. Yes, I know that doesn't prepare me at all for the unwritten rules of the road in dr.

Anyway.

1. Is a M motorcycle endorsement required on my drivers license? I don't have one. A 100cc automatic yamaha is what I see is on offer. Only a scooter type. not a motorcycle.

2. has anyone heard of or used easy rider in cabarete? Been around for years according to their website. Supposedly they offer a Yamaha 100cc that looks just like my Zuma. Supposedly $20 per day or $90 dollars per week. That doesn't seem right to me.

3. I assume there is a separate insurance. Is there a standard price? I routinely rent cars in Mexico, but never in Colombia because of the insurance. Is $35 dollars a day a reasonable expectation for full insurance?

I'll bring my own helmet, yellow and disc brake lock to augment whatever they provide. Should I bring a Kryptonite type bike lock to augment?

Yes. I know it's crazy. But I'll be travelling alone and i've only got 2 weeks. so i want the five or so days I spend between Cabarete, Pueto Plata and obviously Sosua in between to be one big tour. I don't really like the beach. I wanna play GoPro.

On this topic, what is the cost of a motoconcho guy with a good bike for a four hour meandering tour? That's a reasonable alternative.

Btw, Booking rates the last two weeks of october and first week of november are super low. Is that typical? Am I going to get rained out? Cuz that will affect any scootering fantasy.

In advance. thanks for advice. And you're welcome for the laugh.

D

Derfish

I bought a scooter used from a dealer and it included a card says I have insurance for a whole year. I paid 300 pesos for said insurance.

C

Cdn_Gringo

1. No M endorsement needed.

2. Don't know anything about the company or a fair rental price sorry.

3. Cheap insurance available but doesn't cover much. ie the insurance mentioned above. You can get a policy with better coverage for more money. See an insurance broker when you get here. If that's what you want to do. Maybe the rental place offers supplemental insurance.

4. Chain and a padlock are cheap here if you feel the need to tie it up better. A cordless grinder will make short work of your kryptonite anyway. You can't prevent it from being stolen, just slow down the crooks and maybe make them choose another easier target. Your disk lock is a good idea, except a couple of lads will just pick it up toss it in the back of a truck.

5. You'll have no problem doing your tour several times each day if you choose. You should be able to drive from Cabarete to Puerto Plata in a little over an hour or so if you make no stops so you have lots of time to explore.

6. You do not want to sit on the back of a concho for four hours. Not a comfortable ride for that length of time.

7. Rarely does it rain all day here on the North Coast. I'm not saying it never does, but chances are good that your entire day will not be a write off if it rains. Let it rain, let the roads dry up and then your off again.

S

SKY

Forget about insurance for the scooter, better yet think about medical insurance.

D

drstock

I have no idea what an M endorsement is, but if you have any sort of licence to ride a scooter you will be in the minority.

U

USA DOC

….rented one in Sosua in august...with only my passport...as for the fantasies .. get 2 chicas aboard close and sweaty...….Doc...…..

Reactions: Tug7777
C

Cdn_Gringo

An M endorsement is a Canadian driver's license designation permitting the license holder to operate a motorcycle. In this case I suspect the OP is asking if there is a separate licensing requirement to operate a motorcycle in the DR over and above a standard driver's license.

D

drstock

An M endorsement is a Canadian driver's license designation permitting the license holder to operate a motorcycle. In this case I suspect the OP is asking if there is a separate licensing requirement to operate a motorcycle in the DR over and above a standard driver's license.

I suspect so too, that's why I said if he had any sort of licence to drive a pasola he would be in the minority!

U

Uzin

Try not to give your passport and just a copy to a rental - some do accept but some don't. Also not too much cash deposit or CC as deposit. They try to take advantage of that sometime, not always....

Check the bike thoroughly and take photos and videos of it on your phone, test it and tell them of any issues right before leaving...

As you are coming for two weeks or so, get a travel insurance that covers motorbike riding, not easy if you don't have a motorbike license, but at least get a travel insurance, if you fell off and needed treatment, never mention to hospital or in your claim you were riding a bike, just say fell of walking or getting out off a taxi etc... ! lol

Riding here is a bit of a gamble, so be very aware of your surrounding and behind and front for a mile ahead. Also look at the road, they have potholes here that can take your whole wheel in and you never come out of it... !!!?

Night riding is dangerous, remember at night (or even day time), even if you are sober, there are a whole lot of drunks behind the wheel and on bikes, drink driving is their favourtie pass time !

Finding a motoconcho to take you around is not a bad idea for short distances, but you really need to find a good one with good experience of carrying a heavy gringo, and that still means you are at the mercy of a Dominican rider, I rather be in control myself.

Don't worry too much about theft, just try to park it where people are around and maybe point it to guys sitting around so they keep an eye on it. If they really want to steal it you can not stop them.

They rent scooters a lot here, not many problems or bad news we hear about the rental shops or rip offs or theft etc., haven't checked recently but $15 a day is easily available, with some Spanish and for a week or two can get a good discount...

Good luck...

R

Ricardo900

Insurance: You cannot get theft or damage protection for motorcycles. Probably why they want to hold on to your passport. I bet if you read the small print of the contract you sign it will stipulate a $3,500US deductible.

D

Derfish

Try not to give your passport and just a copy to a rental - some do accept but some don't. Also not too much cash deposit or CC as deposit. They try to take advantage of that sometime, not always....

Check the bike thoroughly and take photos and videos of it on your phone, test it and tell them of any issues right before leaving...

As you are coming for two weeks or so, get a travel insurance that covers motorbike riding, not easy if you don't have a motorbike license, but at least get a travel insurance, if you fell off and needed treatment, never mention to hospital or in your claim you were riding a bike, just say fell of walking or getting out off a taxi etc... ! lol

Good luck...

When the ambulance scrapes you off the ground with handlebars piercing your clavicle, just tell the hospital you fell down walking? OK. We'll try that.

U

Uzin

When the ambulance scrapes you off the ground with handlebars piercing your clavicle, just tell the hospital you fell down walking? OK. We'll try that.

Ya, you are done then. Sure if ambulance turns up it's hard to deny anything.....But majority of bike accidents are when people just fall of the bike probably skid a bit and scratch the skin here and there (nothing major unless you are going at speed and no time to break...). Forgot to say always wear a helmet, that little fall without a helmet could mean hitting your skull on the asphalt and bye bye...

Well, if you are a Dominican and drunk it usually is a close encounter of 3rd kind with the lamp post - damn, so many have died here hitting the freaking lamp post... !!!!!? (I heard of two personally this last couple of years...)

C

cobraboy

Insurance: You cannot get theft or damage protection for motorcycles. Probably why they want to hold on to your passport. I bet if you read the small print of the contract you sign it will stipulate a $3,500US deductible.
When I rent motorcycles---a rarity but I have done it numerous times---I require a US$10,000 deposit. Return the bike as it let, and deposit returned.

There is no "normal" insurance in the DR that covers theft and damage to the motorcycle.

C

cobraboy

Is not what you suggest insurance fraud?

C

cobraboy

Well, if he can not get a proper insurance to cover bike riding....
I refer clients to an insurance company that covers riders' injuries on motorcycles over 100cc.

One must have a drivers license endorsement, and a helmet must be worn.

W

william webster

to fulfil Uzin's hospital idea....

you'd need to be able to walk in...
if you crash and need the ambulance - they'll see you were riding