Ferreteria Americana ???

P

Peterj

Big buzz about Ferr.Americana being bancarrota, but I can't find anything in the news...
Anybody has some solid facts maybe?

Thanks.

M

melphis

I hope not. The had a reasonable supply of hardware in the Bavaro store.

P

Peterj

I understand that the current Muppet Show needs all the attention of the media, but if it's true this is a big blow for the economy...

M

Mauricio

Where’s the buzz if it’s nowhere in the news. If it’s ‘radio bemba’ I place it in the same category as the rumor that comes up every now and then that Grupo Ramos will be or has been acquired by Walmart : fake news

G

Garyexpat

I used to use them when I lived in the capital. Pricey but a good selection. I hope it isn't true. Competition is good for the consumer.

M

Mauricio

I was never very fond of them when I lived in SD. Often empty shelves and to the contrary I found them to have not a lot of good options. The store on av Luperon is just horrible. Since I’m back in Europe and can go here to a store like Hornbach (probably similar to Home Depot in the US) it feels like Walhalla compared to Ferreteria Americana

A

AlterEgo

I was never very fond of them when I lived in SD. Often empty shelves and to the contrary I found them to have not a lot of good options. The store on av Luperon is just horrible. Since I’m back in Europe and can go here to a store like Hornbach (probably similar to Home Depot in the US) it feels like Walhalla compared to Ferreteria Americana

I agree about Luperon location, but JFK is a good store.

D

Derfish

Yes, that's correct.

It has a nice "roll" to it when pronounced.

Met a guy, American, years ago that said he only knew one word of Spanish, bancarrota, he didn't know what it meant, but it felt good in his mouth!

M

monfongo

There's plenty you can't get at Ochoa, they are nowhere close to Home Depot.

C

cobraboy

There's plenty you can't get at Ochoa, they are nowhere close to Home Depot.
Bellon on Juan Pablo Duarte/Rafael Vidal in Santiago is very similar to Home Depot, right down to store layout and colors.

M

monfongo

I'll check it out, the main reason i won't do plumbing here is because i can't get the right fittings to do the job correctly.

M

melphis

So is Americana gone or just downsized? I get back in 2 weeks and need to know if I should bring a suitcase full of hardware.

Last edited: