Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

all this talk of "DR" coffee; not so very long ago the Dominican Republic was importing coffee beans due to a disease to the local plants. Those coffee bags might just NOT be Dominican after all...just saying.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They never were. It’s like the Rice....Vietnam . DR doesnt have the capacity not the skills to produce these amounts.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Last August while I was leaving POP, I was paged over the loudspeaker to report to customs. I was told that I had to have my luggage searched even though I had already checked it at the counter. I sat in customs for about fifteen minutes while they retrieved my luggage. After that, a customs official came up to me said that they had already looked at my luggage and that I could go. However, when I tried to board the plane the person at the gate told me I had to go down to customs again. I went down there again and this time they told me they missed something and had to look at my luggage again. This time they actually brought the luggage in and opened it in front of me. The guy looked inside for about a minute or so and then said that everything was fine. He gave me a piece of paper in Spanish and English that explained that I was selected for search "at random."

It was very strange. But it was the only time I've ever had any problem at all coming in or out of POP and I've been coming in and out the last eight years.

4. Likes Derfish, jd426 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The luck of the draw...

This last summer I stopped in at a small out of the way Hotel a friend owns. He had just picked up two Scots from POP airport.

So we're sitting around the pool having a drink and the Scots came out, 30 y.o.ish guys. And they immediately lit up a hash pipe. I asked them how they were able to buy that so quick after just landing. Easy, they brought it from Scotland, in their socks.

I told them they could have had their week ruined by one nosy dog at the airport. They didn't seem too concerned. Funny guys.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I wouldn't get nervous until he/she started putting on rubber gloves
    Or if you hear a zipper...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The OP probably got the random "SSSS" on the boarding pass, every flight leaving DR has one. My GF got this in STI airport and they stripped her in a small room with curtains, using what looked like a toilet brush as a 'marijuana detector' and said it was positive. She is allergic to Marijuana so she told them their brush is wrong.

I got the "SSSS" in POP airport once and they only did a thorough search with the checked and carry on luggage.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conchman View Post
    The OP probably got the random "SSSS" on the boarding pass, every flight leaving DR has one. My GF got this in STI airport and they stripped her in a small room with curtains, using what looked like a toilet brush as a 'marijuana detector' and said it was positive. She is allergic to Marijuana so she told them their brush is wrong.

I got the "SSSS" in POP airport once and they only did a thorough search with the checked and carry on luggage.
    This is the craziest thing that to this day I still don't understand. It happened to me 3 times. (All three times I got checked thru "expedited line on baggage check I because of Jet Blue Mosaic. ). The first time I was at the gate. A Tsa ? person comes down to get me and walks me all the back to the area after the luggage scan. She said something wasn't signed. (?). I went along with it and they walk with me back to the gate. The second time when they saw Mosaic on my boarding pass they took me off the scanning line and brought me to the front of the line. I said...wow that's special. BS. Right over to that same desk again where they ask for passport again!. They take their sweet ax time and and say you're good to go. Have no idea again.... in ANY language, what this is all about. Clearly 20 minutes more than everybody else going to gate.
    Third time same ole same ole. I went with the program, shut my month and asked no questions. Why bother?? I don't think they know. LOL

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They went through my computer bag and found 10 dollars. He asked if he could keep it. What could I do . I said yes and I was on my way

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conchman View Post

The Random

Going thru one time - forget where - I had something in my pocket
    so I got the 3rd degree
    Guy puts me back thru the machine and it goes off again !!

I asked - WTF??
    Random - he says.... ignore it - you're done, have a nice day

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    The Random

Going thru one time - forget where - I had something in my pocket
    so I got the 3rd degree
    Guy puts me back thru the machine and it goes off again !!

I asked - WTF??
    Random - he says.... ignore it - you're done, have a nice day
    Randomly searched once in all the years I’ve been travelling between the DR and Canada, WW. The guy who checked my luggage said the wire hangers I had my dress pants on triggered the search. Never packed them after that. I always bring DR coffee home with me on my return trips. Never been randomly searched for that. A random search is aggravating but a necessary aggravation. My ex wife, a petite blonde haired blue eyed lady, had her luggage searched more times than I can remember during our travels. It was funny at times. IMO, some people give off a certain aura immigration officers can pick up on.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast