Sosua Clinic - Bad Press

C

chico bill

OK this is not meant to slander a local care facility where a few have said they received decent care and like the clinic / hospital.
That was not my case using the clinic for a minor issue, nor two of my friends, one whose infection was not treated to the point he became quite ill, before going to Bournigal.

But today there is an article in Puerto Plata Digital of a young Dominican who says he was left requiring an operation because his treatment at the hospital caused a severe infection in his face because of poor or no treatment) and the article references dozens of other citizens AND SOCIAL NETWORKS complaining about their treatment.

I wish there was reliable emergency care here in Sosua, but until there are changes you should reference this article and take it into advisement .

http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=31073

C

Cdn_Gringo

I wrote about this before. Emergency care at this facility can be hit and miss. It helps if you have some medical experience or at least know what should be done for the condition you present with.

I had a moto mishap ending in minor road rash on one leg, foot and one arm. Before deciding to go to the emergency dept I had already cleaned, disinfected and bandaged the wounds. I went primarily because I knew I was going to be stiff and sore for the next few days.

In the E.R. they looked at the wounds, cleaned them again, dabbed more iodine on and proceeded to replace my stellar bandages with cheap self adhesive ones that were falling off before I got home. I asked for pain medication, got none. I asked for antibiotics, got none. I took care of my own meds on the way home and redid the bandaging.

For me, it was a wasted trip, but for someone who does not have their own medical supplies at home or the knowledge to care for such wounds, at least the treatment I received (the cleaning) was a good, albeit insufficient start. Better than just a washing with Sosua tap/cistern water.

If you are admitted to this facility for surgery or inpatient treatment the care can be quite good as there are some qualified physicians on site. You have to speak up and be insistent on what care you want. If you can't get it there, you need to go somewhere else. It is the same at many hospitals in this country. Some facilities are better choices than others, but circumstances and time constraints can limit one's ability to travel initially. Once you have made a choice and received initial treatment, you then need to decide if staying or continuing with the proposed treatment is in your best interests.

C

chico bill

I wrote about this before. Emergency care at this facility can be hit and miss. It helps if you have some medical experience or at least know what should be done for the condition you present with.

I had a moto mishap ending in minor road rash on one leg, foot and one arm. Before deciding to go to the emergency dept I had already cleaned, disinfected and bandaged the wounds. I went primarily because I knew I was going to be stiff and sore for the next few days.

In the E.R. they looked at the wounds, cleaned them again, dabbed more iodine on and proceeded to replace my stellar bandages with cheap self adhesive ones that were falling off before I got home. I asked for pain medication, got none. I asked for antibiotics, got none. I took care of my own meds on the way home and redid the bandaging.

For me, it was a wasted trip, but for someone who does not have their own medical supplies at home or the knowledge to care for such wounds, at least the treatment I received (the cleaning) was a good, albeit insufficient start. Better than just a washing with Sosua tap/cistern water.

If you are admitted to this facility for surgery or inpatient treatment the care can be quite good as there are some qualified physicians on site. You have to speak up and be insistent on what care you want. If you can't get it there, you need to go somewhere else. It is the same at many hospitals in this country. Some facilities are better choices than others, but circumstances and time constraints can limit one's ability to travel initially. Once you have made a choice and received initial treatment, you then need to decide if staying or continuing with the proposed treatment is in your best interests.

It is sad the quality of bandaging one sees or products that can be purchased in DR. I always bring back quality bandages from the states.
I would post a photo of a woman's infected leg that was bandaged in the hospital, but I don't have her permission to show it. Let's just say it is amateurish, tape hanging loose immediately after, and I could have done better in junior high treating and bandaging the wound.

Not giving you antibiotics seems odd, but of course you can get them easy here. - Always a must for open wounds.
And where can one find Polysporin here in DR, I have been looking, It is the best topical bacitracin ointment and in every medicine cabinet in the US.

It is hard to have and share your knowledge at the clinic, to receive good care, if you are incapacitated............

S

SKY

A big problem in most of these clinics is not the Doctors, but the nursing staff they hire. Not much knowledge there.

T

Timotero

A big problem in most of these clinics is not the Doctors, but the nursing staff they hire. Not much knowledge there.

I’ve observed that also. A friend was in the ICU and I observed multiple violations of aseptic technique. Especially with IV lines.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I wouldn't blame the nurses. I know kids who have gone and are in progress in school. Believe me folks, there is no MCAT or undergrad requirements to study medicine. I have a BS ChemE from a state university and I know more than 97% of the doctors I speak to here. well, at least for the past 15 years. Anything halfway serious, you better be getting on a plane.

C

cavok

I had a bad cut on my leg about 6 months ago. Went to CMC. They stitched up and was bandaged well. Gcae me a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. I don't know of any clinic here that will provide you with antibiotics. Maybe this guy didn't take the prescribed antibiotics(?).

E

El Rey de Mangu

I had a bad cut on my leg about 6 months ago. Went to CMC. They stitched up and was bandaged well. Gcae me a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. I don't know of any clinic here that will provide you with antibiotics. Maybe this guy didn't take the prescribed antibiotics(?).

what is the point here? you dont even have to go to the medics for that. you go to the ghetto pharmacy and buy a good staph med and done. i guess you paid the 2000 peso fee (maybe more) and then for the meds.

C

cavok

what is the point here? you dont even have to go to the medics for that. you go to the ghetto pharmacy and buy a good staph med and done. i guess you paid the 2000 peso fee (maybe more) and then for the meds.

Didn't you read I said it was a bad cut? This was a serious deep cut over two inches long that was bleeding profusely. It needed four stitches. Only a total idiot would go to a ghetto farmacia for something like that and not have it stitched up and get a tetanus shot here.

Of course I got antibiotics. Again, you'd have to be a total idiot not to take them. Even you said to get some. They didn't cost me anywhere near 2000 pesos.

The cut damaged a nerve and I still don't have any feeling in the area around the cut, but it's coming back.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Didn't you read I said it was a bad cut? This was a serious deep cut over two inches long that was bleeding profusely. It needed four stitches. Only a total idiot would go to a ghetto farmacia for something like that and not have it stitched up and get a tetanus shot here.

Of course I got antibiotics. Again, you'd have to be a total idiot not to take them. Even you said to get some. They didn't cost me anywhere near 2000 pesos.

The cut damaged a nerve and I still don't have any feeling in the area around the cut, but it's coming back.

I apologize, cavok. It sounds like you need to stay out of those ghetto machete fights. Thank God for those doctors!

D

Derfish

I had an open abscess on the end of my tailbone. I went to a local free clinic here in Puerto Plata and was given antibiotics free. They worked well too.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I had an open abscess on the end of my tailbone. I went to a local free clinic here in Puerto Plata and was given antibiotics free. They worked well too.

at least you're not hurting in you a-- anymore

C

cavok

I apologize, cavok. It sounds like you need to stay out of those ghetto machete fights. Thank God for those doctors!

Continue going to your favorite ghetto farmacia if you wish, but many of those are known to sell fake, counterfeit meds. Maybe that's why this guy ended up with such a bad infection(?).

Last edited:
E

El Rey de Mangu

hey you know, bud. you probably know. you have some serious knowledge of this place and no one should mess with you!

L

lifeisgreat

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with myself and family with cmc..bad experiences in Hospitals are even in our homeland..

W

william webster

I'm with you greatlife

The head nurse is from Cabrera.........

all good service

As for knowing your medicine -- I keep watching them !!

When I had my 'double header' ...... endo and colonoscopy at the same time,
I was careful to advise them about changing the tube !!
Either that - or use the right sequence.....

Perfectly well executed!!

U

USA DOC

I wouldn't blame the nurses. I know kids who have gone and are in progress in school. Believe me folks, there is no MCAT or undergrad requirements to study medicine. I have a BS ChemE from a state university and I know more than 97% of the doctors I speak to here. well, at least for the past 15 years. Anything halfway serious, you better be getting on a plane.

….you are exactly right... Miami is close...the main problem here is the same in all lines of work...bad Education...and the fault is the governments...…….Doc...….

A

Abuela

Lost in this latest news story, I think it needs to be remembered that CMC is a private hospital. They are obligated to treat emergencies but if more care is required and the patient has no or insufficient insurance my understanding is they are advised to go to the public hospital. CMC is not a public hospital but until the government promised Sosua hospital is built it is the closest emergency care location.