AT&T Go Phone, will it work?

A

AlterEgo

Daughter gave me a brand new AT&T Go Phone to take to DR. Any reason it can’t be used there? I presume it can be unlocked? In the back of my mind, I thought I remembered some issue.

C

chico bill

Search the frequencies on GSM Arena for the model of your phone and check the carriers frequencies. If it is carrier unloacked it should be no issue.

Claro
GSM UMTS LTE
850 B5 (850) B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
1900 PCS

Orange
GSM UMTS LTE
1800 DCS B8 (900) B3 (1800+)
1900 PCS

Viva
GSM UMTS LTE
900 / 1800 B8 (900) Band 4 1700/2100, B13 (700) ?

M

malko

Daughter gave me a brand new AT&T Go Phone to take to DR. Any reason it can’t be used there? I presume it can be unlocked? In the back of my mind, I thought I remembered some issue.

What phone ? Any phone's security can be unlocked here in the dr.
I've had samsung s8's unlocked and factory reset ( impossible, if you listen to samsung and google w/o the original google account and/or the actual biometrics ).
So up until that generation of phones you are good to go. No idea on the s9 and 10's though.

B

bienamor

had a boost phone that they were unable to unlock here. It's now my son's youtube phone

D

Derfish

I've had samsung s8's unlocked and factory reset ( impossible, if you listen to samsung and google w/o the original google account and/or the actual biometrics ).
So up until that generation of phones you are good to go. No idea on the s9 and 10's though.

I had a phone I bought in Panama. Two different places were unable to unlock it. A friend sent me to a third place and he did fine in 20 minutes.

A

AlterEgo

It’s a ZTE Maven 2. I know less than nothing about it, would like to bring it for our caretaker if it can be used there. Brand new, carrier gave it to her when she added a line for her son, but he had an iPhone, so this was never used.

C

chico bill

It’s a ZTE Maven 2. I know less than nothing about it, would like to bring it for our caretaker if it can be used there. Brand new, carrier gave it to her when she added a line for her son, but he had an iPhone, so this was never used.

It's a spy phone

W

windeguy

How do you unlock an iPhone without know the password? Wife got one from her daughter and she forgot the password...

U

USA DOC

...brought a new L.G. phone from Wal mart in Miami this Summer... Absolutely impossible to unlock anywhere..4 places in the D.R. said impossible..And they have seen other L.g.s same model..Wal mart and L.G. no help...Always buy a international version that is already unlocked...…...Doc......

M

malko

How do you unlock an iPhone without know the password? Wife got one from her daughter and she forgot the password...

The easiest option is a factory reset, especially if you have access to i-whatever accounts ( apples equivalent of google ) . Check youtube for tutorials.

Real-life example : i happened to have a samsung s8, it was blocked by biometrics ( fingerprint ), i managed to factory reset it BUT it still needed the original linked google account to be able to start up again----- which obviously i didnt know. I browsed some iffy sites on the so-called deep net, and there are a bunch of tutorials and programmes to spoof the phone software, involving linking the phone to a computer and running a bunch of software....... not for me, thank you very much.
I ended up in an albanian-run phone " repair shop " back home, and they told me they couldnt do it ( understand " wouldnt " ).
In the dr any phone shop will do it for around 500 pesos.

That said, i wouldnt take it to a big place in a place like STI or POP, i would stick with a local shop in villages.
Also double check everything like SD cards and stuff like that as they will disappear.

P.S. I would not take said phone back home with me to europe ( or any " first" world country ) as phones have serial numbers.

D

DRdreaming

From the at&t website:

Prepaid / GoPhone accounts

Your device must have been active for at least 6 months of paid service.

I tried calling them to see if there was any way around this requirement, as I have had service with them for years (both pre and post paid), but no luck.

Sent from my SM-J810M using Tapatalk

A

AlterEgo

From the at&t website:

Prepaid / GoPhone accounts

Your device must have been active for at least 6 months of paid service.

I tried calling them to see if there was any way around this requirement, as I have had service with them for years (both pre and post paid), but no luck.

Sent from my SM-J810M using Tapatalk

Hm, thanks for that info. Daughter has has service with them for many years, so maybe she can get them to unlock it.

I’m thinking back many years, but wasn’t one of the Dominican cell providers compatible with ATT?

C

CCCIBAO

Not sure but I have Simple Mobile and it can be used out of the country as normal. Haven't tried it in DR but i'll let you know once I get a chance how it worked out. My cousin said the same for Metro PCS but I went in the store they no longer provide international service.

As long as your phone is unlocked you can use any prepaid sim card. Most supermarkets have Claro and Altice available.