Traveling from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata

C

CCCIBAO

Hi everyone,

I have my wedding in Puerto Plata in a few months and my friends in the states have decided to visit family in Santo Domingo prior to the wedding. Only problem is they have no form of transport, along with basically being tourist. Any safe and inexpensive reccomendations you can provide for us?

T

Timotero

Either of the two major bus lines. CaribeTours Or MetroBus. Both have service from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata. IIRC trip takes about 5 hours and costs approximately 500 pesos (that’s less than $10 US).

Enjoy the wedding.

S

SKY

You can take either Caribe Tours or Metro from SD to PP. Cost is about 500-600 pesos or about $10 US. Metro is a bit better.

W

william webster

Depending on how many there are... a van might be more convenient

check that out

C

Cdn_Gringo

Metro Bus Lines - A slightly more cultured clientele (imo). Slightly more expensive than Caribe Tours Bus Lines but not by much.

Caribe Tours - Slightly cheaper so attracts those counting their Pesos. If you don't luck into a Caribe bus that bypasses Santiago, SD to Puerto Plata can be a bit of a milk run - lots of stops along the way. Metro doesn't stop as often.

Either option will do. Lots of people travelling north on Fridays usually. Thus buses can be fully stocked. Catch a bus that gets you to Puerto Plata before dark - 6 pm.

Pull out your uber app and see how much from SD to Puerto Plata. Arranging a private van will be about $250 USD + an additional charge for each additional person if more than 4.

Any taxi can get you to either bus depot in SD. Schedules are available online.

C

CCCIBAO

Thanks everyone,

I'm personally afraid of them taking buses on Caribe Tours since my fiance said not a lot of tourist do it (not sure if this is his limited experience or truth) . I checked uber its about $150 USD.

M

Matilda

Caribe buses are fine and there are lots of new ones, and yes of course tourists take them.They run much more often, very cold as aircon turned up high. There are toilets, reclining seats, seat belts, televisions, wifi, but with a big group, a large taxi might make more sense. There are plenty of companies who do that you can check on trip advisor.

Matilda