Goodbye Dominican Republic

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
With much sadness, our time has finally come to an end in the Dominican Republic. Tanya and myself moved to Sosua (from the UK) in 2008.
My mother fell very unwell in September 2017 and we made the decision to return to the UK to support her as she'd have to go into a home if nobody could care for her.
Sadly she died in April this year.
In the meantime our daughter has started school here and we feel her education must come first (as well as the free schooling compared to the expense of international schools in the Sosua area).
May I say over the years how DR1 has been invaluable to our general living in the Dominican Republic, regardless of topic. I thank each and every one of you,
I'll always be a DR1'er!

Jamie Jameson

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
With much sadness, our time has finally come to an end in the Dominican Republic. Tanya and myself moved to Sosua (from the UK) in 2008.
My mother fell very unwell in September 2017 and we made the decision to return to the UK to support her as she'd have to go into a home if nobody could care for her.
Sadly she died in April this year.
In the meantime our daughter has started school here and we feel her education must come first (as well as the free schooling compared to the expense of international schools in the Sosua area).
May I say over the years how DR1 has been invaluable to our general living in the Dominican Republic, regardless of topic. I thank each and every one of you,
I'll always be a DR1'er!

Jamie Jameson

Sounds like you don't want to go back, but responsibilities are such that it is necessary. I like your reasoning and decision and hope that you can put these issues to rest one day and return to the DR.

Best Wishes..

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Goodluck in the next chapter of your life.. the sacrifices we make for our kids!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Sad to see you go Jamie. You were always a great friend. One of the first people I met here 10 years ago and always a stand up guy. The best to you and your family.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
My condolences for the loss of you mother. I hope your future brings much happiness to you and your family.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
All the best to you, Tanya and your little girl and sorry for the loss of your Mum :( We have been good friends for many years and I thank you for your companionship and wish you well back in the UK

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
My condolences and best wishes. I would agree that leaving RD is always a good decision !!

karmatourer

Nov 15, 2018
I feel for you. My Mother falling gravely ill was the reason I left Thailand in 2009.We removed her from life support 12 days after I arrived home to end her suffering. Best of luck moving forward.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
All the best in UK, at least you get to vote in 12 December election, choose wisely... !