Dogs

Z

zoomzx11

I am something of a fanatic dog lover.
I have three in the DR and three in the US.
They eat a lot.
In the US I buy a 50# bag of Purina Dog Chow for about $25.00
Here in Sosua it is nearly double the price at Playero.

I tried the little agriculture vet supply on 5 going toward the hospital and the price was about the same.
Anyone found a less expensive way to buy quality dog food here?

W

william webster

is it Alican....?
I pay 1300 pesos
Playero has Cannovi at 1600

Best budget food - and quality is the Bravo house brand
5-600 per 20lb bag
Hi protein content.... 22-23%
equal to Royal Canin - within a % point

I have 4 large dogs here...RD

M

malko

Campeon...... 1250pesos per 40lb

My wife takes a look at our friends dog in europe, ask what they eat ( purina of course ), ....... and sneers and tells me in spanish that the purina has sedatives in it.....lol
To be fair she doesnt really have a comparison point as our dr dogs seem to be a cross between werewolves and direwolves ;)

They get half purina and half chicken or salami or raw beef.
In the campo you can buy the chickens that died during the night at la pollera really, really cheap.
Same, some salamis are less than 100 pesos per lb.

W

william webster

my chicken man gives me his scraps for 100 pesos = big bag

Backbones, breast bones - just his junk... the dogs love it
Makes them feel like dogs

Sardines on special days.........

F

Fulano2

Campeon...... 1250pesos per 40lb

My wife takes a look at our friends dog in europe, ask what they eat ( purina of course ), ....... and sneers and tells me in spanish that the purina has sedatives in it.....lol
To be fair she doesnt really have a comparison point as our dr dogs seem to be a cross between werewolves and direwolves ;)

They get half purina and half chicken or salami or raw beef.
In the campo you can buy the chickens that died during the night at la pollera really, really cheap.
Same, some salamis are less than 100 pesos per lb.
In La Vega, those chickens that died during the night were bought by POLLOS AL CARBON in the Avenida Rivas....no Joke , i had a a friend who had three granjas in Santo Cerro..they would die from gripe or whatever course. Enjoy your pollo al Carbon.

M

malko

In La Vega, those chickens that died during the night were bought by POLLOS AL CARBON in the Avenida Rivas....no Joke , i had a a friend who had three granjas in Santo Cerro..they would die from gripe or whatever course. Enjoy your pollo al Carbon.

Yeah, they are fit for human consumption---- supposedly.
They often die of suffocation and or heat. The meat has a darker aspect ( as they weren't emptied of their blood at the time of death ).

These days i am in "competition " with other folk for those chickens....... but in their case it is for human consumption------- seems times are hard-er :( :(

A

AlterEgo

We’ve fed our Dominican dogs (always at least 2, usually 4-5) Campeon for many years. About 1200 pesos for 40 pounds, the agrovet delivers it to the door.

L

lifeisgreat

There is person in perla marina that sells a high grade imported dog food think Spain very reasonable for quality ...my dogs love it if you want number pm Me.. different varieties puppy young old etc..

C

chico bill

There is person in perla marina that sells a high grade imported dog food think Spain very reasonable for quality ...my dogs love it if you want number pm Me.. different varieties puppy young old etc..

How expensive ?

C

cobraboy

You can buy Canovi at their factory store in Santiago for RD$1400.

Z

zoomzx11

Wow, I expected you guys to know but not this much.
Thanks so much.

Should have asked you ages ago and saved enough money to send the kids to college.
Appreciate the response.

I know that dogs here eat chicken but I am nervous about it.
Everything you ever read about feeding dogs says avoid chicken bones because of their flexibility and sharpness.
If I ever caused one of the dogs to get sick or injured from a chicken bone it would be awful.

W

william webster

Raw bones - cooked is dangerous

The hands down dog food winner is the Bravo brand --- 22% protein...vs Royal Canin at 23 or so

Goes on sale for 500/20lb bag now/then - vs - Royal Canin at 2000+ for 40lbs

Bravo = 600 normally

I buy 6-8 bags when I am in STI or SD
Often sold out

M

malko

Wow, I expected you guys to know but not this much.
Thanks so much.

Should have asked you ages ago and saved enough money to send the kids to college.
Appreciate the response.

I know that dogs here eat chicken but I am nervous about it.
Everything you ever read about feeding dogs says avoid chicken bones because of their flexibility and sharpness.
If I ever caused one of the dogs to get sick or injured from a chicken bone it would be awful.

The trick is to cook the chicken, not too much, not too little.
It also depends on the size of your dog, obviously but also the " type of dog ". My Rottweilers have had 0 problems with eating chicken going on 6-7 years. Whereas the doberman pincher mix has had problems twice------ both times got a bone stuck across the inside of its mouth. You haven't really lived until you have to pry something out of the mouth of a pincher ;)
My guess is the thinner, longer jaw configuration is to blame versus the large short jaws of the rotties.

Alternatively you could cook the chicken so long the meat falls off the bones.....

P.S. We also use the cooking water ( we cook the chicken as if it was for us, sazon, herbs, oregano, garlic, lots of garlic, etc...... minus the oignons ). We then use that sauce to flavour the purina on days the other half is salami.

A

AlterEgo

W

william webster

The famous nurse !!!!

adds credibility to the theory.....

just throw them 1/2 chicken twice daily... no prep

M

malko

I have a friend who has opted for the new way to feed dogs --

Only - ONLY- raw chicken as the food
He had a 'litter reunion' and claimed he could the difference in his dog vs the others

as Usual- you will find conflicting advice

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-chicken/

I would feed my dogs raw chicken ( the only cooked meat they get, btw, the rest is raw ), except i try to hide from them the fact that the funny looking, fenced off in the conuco, feathery birds are actually a staple of their diets....... i have enough gruesome murders as it is :)

W

william webster

hahaha

I have BAD neighbor trouble with my dogs eating the chickens

Finally... I built them a secure pen for them... no more problems

I found it easier to fence in the chickens than the dogs !!
Houdini would be envious of these dogs......