Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To pool or not to pool

To help sell a home in the 300 to 400k price range in the DR do I need to install a swimming pool?

Do most homes in this price range have a pool?
    Appreciate your ideas.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To pool or not to pool

Yes and yes. Most houses in that range will have pools. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

300 to 400 K seems to be the "non sweet spot" these days. At least on the north coast.

We have friends that started off selling their place 6 years ago for just over $300K and made a deal last week at $170K, while new houses much smaller and simpler are selling new in the same area for $160K. They all have pools.

5. Likes zoomzx11, Lobo Tropical liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of installing a pool and wondering.....

Add a clause to the listing offering to build a pool - as a negotiable item

Full- close to full price.... they get a pool
    or
    they buy and build their own

Just an idea

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends how close to the beach/ocean you are. We had a beautiful pool in Juan Dolio. Not used that often by me, more by the kids and all Dominican visitors. Expensive to maintain, both in terms of chemicals and electricity. Time consuming to keep clean (unless you have 'staff') and unusable for half of the year as is too bloody cold. Also it is off putting to those who have children from a safety aspect.

Personally I would not have a pool again, but that is just me - maybe depends on the potential purchaser.

Matilda
    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums

8. Likes bienamor, Ecoman1949, sosuamatt, PJT liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    I think you guys are sound in your thinking.
    I have no delusions about selling at a profit.

My wife just came around to the idea of selling the house as we do not use it often enough but thinks we need a pool.
    She will hold it until hell freezes rather than sell for less than she thinks it is worth.
    That means if I give up and install a pool I will be skimming leaves, buying chemicals and and making repairs forever.
    Maybe the best move is flip sides, try and talk her out of selling and then we do not need the pool.

10. Likes sosuamatt liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    300 to 400 K seems to be the "non sweet spot" these days. At least on the north coast.

We have friends that started off selling their place 6 years ago for just over $300K and made a deal last week at $170K, while new houses much smaller and simpler are selling new in the same area for $160K. They all have pools.
    You can buy a 2 bedroom 2 bath villa with pool on the north coast in a gated community for 170K asking price. A 4 Bed/bath for 370k with pool.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I think it depends how close to the beach/ocean you are. We had a beautiful pool in Juan Dolio. Not used that often by me, more by the kids and all Dominican visitors. Expensive to maintain, both in terms of chemicals and electricity. Time consuming to keep clean (unless you have 'staff') and unusable for half of the year as is too bloody cold. Also it is off putting to those who have children from a safety aspect.

Personally I would not have a pool again, but that is just me - maybe depends on the potential purchaser.

Matilda
    We are close to the beach.
    Lot of friends have pools we could use but never do.
    I have had pools in the past and hoped to never own one again, even for a short time.
    I agree with you completely.
    They need constant cleaning, constant chemicals, regular maintenance and from time to time leak.
    I have a friend in the Keys who got rich running a pool maintenance business.
    Two things I hope to never do again is live on a salt water beach or own a swimming pool.
    Last edited by zoomzx11; 10-20-2019 at 04:16 PM.

13. Likes Matilda, JDJones liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tripp789 View Post
    You can buy a 2 bedroom 2 bath villa with pool on the north coast in a gated community for 170K asking price. A 4 Bed/bath for 370k with pool.

People just bought a 4 bedroom , 2 Bathroom with a pool for $170K. Nice property, very similar to the house I owned in California before I moved here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    We are close to the beach.
    Lot of friends have pools we could use but never do.
    I have had pools in the past and hoped to never own one again, even for a short time.
    I agree with you completely.
    They need constant cleaning, constant chemicals, regular maintenance and from time to time leak.
    I have a friend in the Keys who got rich running a pool maintenance business.
    Two things I hope to never do again is live on a salt water beach or own a swimming pool.
    If you don't live in the house to make sure it is kept up, don't build it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast