To pool or not to pool

Z

zoomzx11

To help sell a home in the 300 to 400k price range in the DR do I need to install a swimming pool?

Do most homes in this price range have a pool?
Appreciate your ideas.

T

tripp789

Yes and yes. Most houses in that range will have pools. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

windeguy

300 to 400 K seems to be the "non sweet spot" these days. At least on the north coast.

We have friends that started off selling their place 6 years ago for just over $300K and made a deal last week at $170K, while new houses much smaller and simpler are selling new in the same area for $160K. They all have pools.

W

william webster

Instead of installing a pool and wondering.....

Add a clause to the listing offering to build a pool - as a negotiable item

Full- close to full price.... they get a pool
or
they buy and build their own

Just an idea

M

Matilda

I think it depends how close to the beach/ocean you are. We had a beautiful pool in Juan Dolio. Not used that often by me, more by the kids and all Dominican visitors. Expensive to maintain, both in terms of chemicals and electricity. Time consuming to keep clean (unless you have 'staff') and unusable for half of the year as is too bloody cold. Also it is off putting to those who have children from a safety aspect.

Personally I would not have a pool again, but that is just me - maybe depends on the potential purchaser.

Matilda

Z

zoomzx11

Thanks.
I think you guys are sound in your thinking.
I have no delusions about selling at a profit.

My wife just came around to the idea of selling the house as we do not use it often enough but thinks we need a pool.
She will hold it until hell freezes rather than sell for less than she thinks it is worth.
That means if I give up and install a pool I will be skimming leaves, buying chemicals and and making repairs forever.
Maybe the best move is flip sides, try and talk her out of selling and then we do not need the pool.

T

tripp789

300 to 400 K seems to be the "non sweet spot" these days. At least on the north coast.

We have friends that started off selling their place 6 years ago for just over $300K and made a deal last week at $170K, while new houses much smaller and simpler are selling new in the same area for $160K. They all have pools.

You can buy a 2 bedroom 2 bath villa with pool on the north coast in a gated community for 170K asking price. A 4 Bed/bath for 370k with pool.

Z

zoomzx11

I think it depends how close to the beach/ocean you are. We had a beautiful pool in Juan Dolio. Not used that often by me, more by the kids and all Dominican visitors. Expensive to maintain, both in terms of chemicals and electricity. Time consuming to keep clean (unless you have 'staff') and unusable for half of the year as is too bloody cold. Also it is off putting to those who have children from a safety aspect.

Personally I would not have a pool again, but that is just me - maybe depends on the potential purchaser.

Matilda

We are close to the beach.
Lot of friends have pools we could use but never do.
I have had pools in the past and hoped to never own one again, even for a short time.
I agree with you completely.
They need constant cleaning, constant chemicals, regular maintenance and from time to time leak.
I have a friend in the Keys who got rich running a pool maintenance business.
Two things I hope to never do again is live on a salt water beach or own a swimming pool.

Last edited:
W

windeguy

You can buy a 2 bedroom 2 bath villa with pool on the north coast in a gated community for 170K asking price. A 4 Bed/bath for 370k with pool.

People just bought a 4 bedroom , 2 Bathroom with a pool for $170K. Nice property, very similar to the house I owned in California before I moved here.

W

windeguy

We are close to the beach.
Lot of friends have pools we could use but never do.
I have had pools in the past and hoped to never own one again, even for a short time.
I agree with you completely.
They need constant cleaning, constant chemicals, regular maintenance and from time to time leak.
I have a friend in the Keys who got rich running a pool maintenance business.
Two things I hope to never do again is live on a salt water beach or own a swimming pool.

If you don't live in the house to make sure it is kept up, don't build it.

W

william webster

I tend to re-write the real estate rules ... having been one for a short while

Say you want $1M... easy arithmetic

$900 gets the agent 0%
Anything above your 'gag' number gets them more

Example-
asking $1M... gag at $850

$850 is Zero % - they won't bother you ever w/ that offer

$850 - 950 = 10-15% to them --- pick your number

As they rise above the 850 - their % increases....
$1M gets more .... keep it climbing

Incremental commissiopn based on YOUR number....
no pay for a low number

I hope I said it right.....

C

cobraboy

I tend to re-write the real estate rules ... having been one for a short while

Say you want $1M... easy arithmetic

$900 gets the agent 0%
Anything above your 'gag' number gets them more

Example-
asking $1M... gag at $850

$850 is Zero % - they won't bother you ever w/ that offer

$850 - 950 = 10-15% to them --- pick your number

As they rise above the 850 - their % increases....
$1M gets more .... keep it climbing

Incremental commissiopn based on YOUR number....
no pay for a low number

I hope I said it right.....
That is exactly how sports agents work.

U

USA DOC

Thanks.
I think you guys are sound in your thinking.
I have no delusions about selling at a profit.

My wife just came around to the idea of selling the house as we do not use it often enough but thinks we need a pool.
She will hold it until hell freezes rather than sell for less than she thinks it is worth.
That means if I give up and install a pool I will be skimming leaves, buying chemicals and and making repairs forever.
Maybe the best move is flip sides, try and talk her out of selling and then we do not need the pool.

...had as pool once never again... and for the reasons you mentioned...

C

chico bill

Matilda

Ditto - too much work

C

chico bill

I would not want to be trying to sell something for $300K.
Typically it goes that you will get offers of $150K, if not expect to sit on in 5-7 years when you might get $175K. The longer on the market the more people think something could be wrong.
Not having a pool rules out maybe 25% of buyers who think they have to have one and 40% more who expect every home in this price range should have one. (most just don't know pools are a pain)
$300K is the tween price between wealthy and a small family vacation home price - a tough market.
True it's not that much for a nice home, but homes are not reallyt investments in DR, as they can become anchors.
Buy a home when you are certain you will stay there at least a decade, or die there.

C

cobraboy

I have had pools and have one now.

We use it every day or night from mid-April to November, commando.

Excellent before bedtime.

I don't find the maintenance onerous.

I also agree buying property here is an anchor in most cases, the bigger the $$$, the heavier the a anchor.

M

malko

Jeez a 300k 400k house in the dr must be some kind of palace...... so yes a pool is needed or 2....... and a Zombie Apocalypse bunker....... and a heliport ;)

C

cavok

I had a house in Florida with a pool - screened in. That's the secret. No leaves, grass clippings, mosquitos, bugs, or other critters. The screen partially blocks out UV rays so you won't burn so fast in the sun and also reduces the amout of chlorine and other chemicals you use. Maintenace was very easy. You just need to know how to use a good pool water test kit.