So Leonel Quits the PLD and Forms a New Party

S

Squat

it's so ridiculous, I would laugh about it, if it wasn't going to destabilize our country.

Leonel and his guys had to "buy" a small party (Partido de los Trabajadores Dominicanos) in order to run. And they renamed it:

"La Fuerza del Pueblo", that is "L F P", Or: "Leonel Fernandez Presidente" (it reminds me of the PPH, back in the days)

It probably means LFP will have to get in bed with PRM. So cynical, so ruthless...

Basically it says "I don't give a **** about anything, I just want to be back in power"

N

NALs

He probably ran into debt during the past 8 years, thinking he will be able to pay it off in the 2020 - 2024 term. Change of plans and he's screwed, hence he's desperate.

Could be...

C

cobraboy

We had a metting set Sunday with an old family friend who is anxious to help with a project we've been working on. He lives in the rarified air of the PLD and his name has been mentioned often on DR1.

He called aroujnd 3pm, the time of our meeting, to reschedule. His reason was "things have gotten complicated today." We thought he had some family problems, or was blowing us off.

Guess things did, indeed, get complicated Sunday for him. :cheeky:

C

Caonabo

He probably ran into debt during the past 8 years, thinking he will be able to pay it off in the 2020 - 2024 term. Change of plans and he's screwed, hence he's desperate.

Could be...

Leonel is not in debt. Quite the opposite. He is panic-stricken of the global theatre finding the amounts of wealth he and the Mrs. have stolen, received as bribes (South American Drug Cartels and US of A Professional Baseball to name just two entities), and then squirreled away during his terms of office.
Switzerland.
Hong Kong.
Singapore.
The Cayman Islands.
Luxembourg.
Lebanon.
Germany.
Bahrain.
Dubai.
Belize.

C

cobraboy

NALs and Caonabo, any thoughts and predictions about what may happen?

C

chico bill

All he needs is to do is track down Cesar the Abuser to support his candidacy.
That's about the category he has placed himself.

Prediction - if the DR doesn't keep things civil not only will the tourism fall even further off the cliff, the DR will descend into something akin to Haiti today.

Line up the yolos, here we come PR

C

Caonabo

All he needs is to do is track down Cesar the Abuser to support his candidacy.
That's about the category he has placed himself.

Prediction - if the DR doesn't keep things civil not only will the tourism fall even further off the cliff, the DR will descend into something akin to Haiti today.

Line up the yolos, here we come PR

Prediction…..this scenario will NOT happen.

C

chico bill

Prediction…..this scenario will NOT happen.

I hope not, but the rest of Latin America (Chile, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, El Salvador, Venezuela, Honduras, Bolivia, Ecuador, and to some extent Puerto Rico) are all in current state of unrest - it does not take much to think the DR could follow in those Footsteps

C

Caonabo

I hope not, but the rest of Latin America (Chile, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, El Salvador, Venezuela, Honduras, Bolivia, Ecuador, and to some extent Puerto Rico) are all in current state of unrest - it does not take much to think the DR could follow in those Footsteps

I can assure you that Dominicans are not as concerned regarding this possibility as expatriates are. It will work itself out, as always, just in a different direction.....or party for that matter.
The PRD needed to separate itself from Hipólito Mejia, and this has finally been done.

A

AlterEgo

And meanwhile, Mrs Leonel is still the PLD vice-president, and from what I understand she can’t do anything about that until August 2020. Oh, what a tangled web we weave. I can’t imagine the relationship between Margarita and Danilo about now.

J

Juan Bosch

And meanwhile, Mrs Leonel is still the PLD vice-president, and from what I understand she can’t do anything about that until August 2020. Oh, what a tangled web we weave. I can’t imagine the relationship between Margarita and Danilo about now.

You mean there is a Dominican law that prevents her from resigning...how funny that is...an antiquated...