8 Days in Sosua, Puerto Plata, Santiago

Susanita

Feb 11, 2002
"Volvere, volvere!
Porque te quiero, hasta tu puerto, volvere.
Volvere, volvere!
Ser?s mi estrella, si tu me esperas volvere."

After a 20 year absence from my native land -- I just returned from a much anticipated trip. Emotionally driven and part tourist, part ex-pat, this trip was alll and more than it could ever be.

My husband, best friend, and I arrived in Puerto Plata to be greeted by the lady from whom we rented a guest house. Immediately we experienced "DRIVING" on the island. The Mad Hatter's Tea Party ride has NOTHING on this adventure. Our hostess was a delight and upon arrival to the house (which was adjacent to her home) we knew that we were in for a great treat. We stayed in Playa Laguna (Bay Escondido) which offered a short walk to the main road (C-5) as well as everything. The guest house we rented had a full kitchen, 2 bedrooms, one bath and the most beautiful setting for a balcony breakfast (which we enjoyed every morning). The place was quiet (residential area), with a private beach, and an awesome price. The home also had a pool of which we had access to at any time. It was heaven.

First thing noted - The great feeling of being back where I am not a minority. The bigger smiles, the willingness to help, the awesome temperature. Since we had no transportation (I refused to drive) we ventured out to Puerto Plata where we met Wilson on C-5 - a middle aged man who offered to drive us to Puerto Plata for RD$100. It was such a great deal why not! As I got to know him we struck up a deal - he was needing money and we needed a driver. He became our chofer the rest of the trip. We agreed on pick up times, locations and after dropping us off anywhere we wanted he would PROMPTLY pick us up for the next leg. By the end of the trip - Wilson was our best friend and sure enough his modesty and eagerness to help was well paid by trips end. Being a native and having a local help us get around was grand. I had inquired on this arrangement on the posts but didn't have much luck. I loved the way this turned out. Wilson showed us around to the cheap places with GREAT local cuisine, he reminded me of things from my youth that I had not eaten in ages. Since the cost of things were so cheap (at least to us travelers) and I had gotten to know more of Wilson (he had lived in the states and like many -- was discouraged with the false belief that money grows on trees in the US as well as the way of life - returned home), the more I wanted to treat him like a family member. Wilson took us to businesses owned by his friends and where his family went, he got us FRESH milk (as in, still warm from the cow), got us to the native bakeries and cheaper stores to buy our food, and plus anything we asked. I couldn't find more ways to thank him and we happily bought enough of everything for him to be able to take back home to his family as well as paying him well. This kind of attention would never come from an all inclusive.
We made sure to get phone numbers to reach Wilson for our next visit, and even though he's not a taxi driver - just a guy with a car in need of cash the day we met him - he offered his help for our next trip. I would more than happily recommend him to anyone.

Our first true excursion was to the Falls of Damajagua --this was done through Iguana Mama (see my post under Cascading for this review --yes, that's a shameless plug on my other posts...ajaja). Again, everything was beautiful, the people, the food, the adventure.

My husband and I then headed to Santiago to meet family and along the way we stopped in Maimon to have roadside fried fish. Sit down...this will be shocking... Wilson had advised of this location and the great food but we had no earthly of just how great this was going to be. There were 9 of us by now (all family and friends) and we ordered 15 FRESH fish (which were prepared right there -FRESHLY CAUGHT), had sides of batata (a type of sweet potato), rulos (a softer green plantain), PRESIDENTE (of course), 2 Liters of coke, Lambi (conch), and fritos (fried green plantains), all this for the amazing price of ... RD$636 - that comes to... about $40 US BUCKS. Uh, yes, I am not lying. It was delish. A must do!!!

Our trip to Santiago - uhmmm...aside from the excitement of gazillions of pasolas/motoconchos was awesome. In the company of friends and family, what couldn't be.

Adjusting to the cuisine of the island was nothing. My husband and friend asked why things tasted so great, and aside from the seasonings all I could conjure up was that everything was fresh and FREE of growth hormones and preservatives. It has been more trouble returning and adjusting to american food than it was to adjust to food on the island.

I will be posting pictures soon but until then... I am purchasing my tickets to return home in December .

Susana

--------------------------------------------------------

Falls from heaven - a report
WOOOOOO!!!

I just got back from DR and completing the Falls of Rio Damajagua, as promised, here is my report:

Woke up early on Saturday since the excursion started at 8a.m We had a driver take us to Iguana Mama in Cabarete although they offered to pick us up. At the Iguana office we were treated to croissants, O.J. and Coffee. To say it was a pleasant welcome would be fitting.

My party was of 3 (my hubby, best friend, and myself) as well as two older people who were going simply to take photographs. Uh...ok. To each their own. Adolfo was our tour guide and Jose was the driver. In Imbert we picked up Jorge and Negro to help us tour the falls and help us be lifted or whatever assistance was necessary to get through them.

The water was chilly but not disturbing. Nothing like the FREEZING water in Arizona. The reflecting pools were clear and beautiful. At times it was a bit rough to get to the falls (of which Iguana Mama takes you to 12) but nothing dangerous - let me take that back...there was one climb that my husband and I both grew concerned with. You had to scale the side of a rock while holding on to a rope. Perhaps this needs to be better planned and indeed, you have to have upper body strength. However, it was amazing.

The jumps were not scary but a bit intimidating when you first step up to the ledge. For some you have a choice to slide. We mixed and matched and enjoyed all. The sliding portion ACTUALLY slid on the smooth rock - not the kind where you kinda get stuck after you put your butt down. It was perfectly smooth.

We were thankful that the excursion started early since by the time we got back to the first fall the crowd was tremendous and we had to wait for it to clear a little in order to jump. Our guide and assistants were awesome and joked along the way. Being Dominican it was great to hear their take on a lot of things and not just "put your foot here" or "here, let me help you". At times people forget that these people are not just tour guides but individuals.

Iguana Mama then takes you to a wonderful restaurant in Imbert to have a buffet style lunch. The food and company is delicious.

At the end of the trip I was sure to take phone numbers for both the driver (who does private taxi service), and for the guide who will take private parties to the falls. Both were great humble folks who I got to know in our 4 hour excursion. In my opinion, the best way to get to things is with a native - in my next trip, Iguana Mama served a great purpose but I'll be calling Jose and Jorge to schedule my outings and be sure that they get more money for their families. I guess that's just an ex-pat for ya.

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
would love to know

if Wilson lives near Costambar/POP area. I will be staying in Costambar and would really like a driver who I know can use the extra cash. is he english speaking?

also where is the area that you stayed? i cannot find it on my map. i sounds very nice.
please e-mail me if you like with the information.

i also did the cascading trip to the waterfalls, not through Iguana Mama but someone else. What an experience huh?
thanks a lot,
mattie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So glad you liked Johan's

I have recommended that place only to the slightly adventerous. It is something for us that live here and know good food!!

Wonderful report....think I will try and find Wilson for other friends of ours that will be int he area. Please get in touch w/ me via e-mail??
Regards,

HB
chef.gif

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Question for Susanita

Would you tell me whcih guest house you stayed in?
I would like to visit & stay somewhere a bit more personal. Not an all inclusive.

thanks in advance

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Nice report

That roadside restaurant in Maimon is excellent.
I ate there a few times.
I think it cost around 800 pesos for 5 of us (I was treating a couple of buddies with big appetites plus a couple of chicas).

I have commented that I found Sosua quite expensive but I was speaking relatively compared to places like this, not compared to places like at home in Toronto.

Lorena from Boston

Jan 26, 2006
Hi Susanita,
I would love to have wilsons phone number. I just realized you posted this 4 years ago ahahha. But Iam looking for someone like him to drive me around i will be staying in sosua march 24 to april 3rd. thanks, Lorena
lorenao1@juno.com

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Susanita said:
"Volvere, volvere!
Porque te quiero, hasta tu puerto, volvere.
Volvere, volvere!
Ser?s mi estrella, si tu me esperas volvere."

After a 20 year absence from my native land -- I just returned from a much anticipated trip. Emotionally driven and part tourist, part ex-pat, this trip was alll and more than it could ever be.

My husband, best friend, and I arrived in Puerto Plata to be greeted by the lady from whom we rented a guest house. Immediately we experienced "DRIVING" on the island. The Mad Hatter's Tea Party ride has NOTHING on this adventure. Our hostess was a delight and upon arrival to the house (which was adjacent to her home) we knew that we were in for a great treat. We stayed in Playa Laguna (Bay Escondido) which offered a short walk to the main road (C-5) as well as everything. The guest house we rented had a full kitchen, 2 bedrooms, one bath and the most beautiful setting for a balcony breakfast (which we enjoyed every morning). The place was quiet (residential area), with a private beach, and an awesome price. The home also had a pool of which we had access to at any time. It was heaven.

First thing noted - The great feeling of being back where I am not a minority. The bigger smiles, the willingness to help, the awesome temperature. Since we had no transportation (I refused to drive) we ventured out to Puerto Plata where we met Wilson on C-5 - a middle aged man who offered to drive us to Puerto Plata for RD$100. It was such a great deal why not! As I got to know him we struck up a deal - he was needing money and we needed a driver. He became our chofer the rest of the trip. We agreed on pick up times, locations and after dropping us off anywhere we wanted he would PROMPTLY pick us up for the next leg. By the end of the trip - Wilson was our best friend and sure enough his modesty and eagerness to help was well paid by trips end. Being a native and having a local help us get around was grand. I had inquired on this arrangement on the posts but didn't have much luck. I loved the way this turned out. Wilson showed us around to the cheap places with GREAT local cuisine, he reminded me of things from my youth that I had not eaten in ages. Since the cost of things were so cheap (at least to us travelers) and I had gotten to know more of Wilson (he had lived in the states and like many -- was discouraged with the false belief that money grows on trees in the US as well as the way of life - returned home), the more I wanted to treat him like a family member. Wilson took us to businesses owned by his friends and where his family went, he got us FRESH milk (as in, still warm from the cow), got us to the native bakeries and cheaper stores to buy our food, and plus anything we asked. I couldn't find more ways to thank him and we happily bought enough of everything for him to be able to take back home to his family as well as paying him well. This kind of attention would never come from an all inclusive.
We made sure to get phone numbers to reach Wilson for our next visit, and even though he's not a taxi driver - just a guy with a car in need of cash the day we met him - he offered his help for our next trip. I would more than happily recommend him to anyone.

Our first true excursion was to the Falls of Damajagua --this was done through Iguana Mama (see my post under Cascading for this review --yes, that's a shameless plug on my other posts...ajaja). Again, everything was beautiful, the people, the food, the adventure.

My husband and I then headed to Santiago to meet family and along the way we stopped in Maimon to have roadside fried fish. Sit down...this will be shocking... Wilson had advised of this location and the great food but we had no earthly of just how great this was going to be. There were 9 of us by now (all family and friends) and we ordered 15 FRESH fish (which were prepared right there -FRESHLY CAUGHT), had sides of batata (a type of sweet potato), rulos (a softer green plantain), PRESIDENTE (of course), 2 Liters of coke, Lambi (conch), and fritos (fried green plantains), all this for the amazing price of ... RD$636 - that comes to... about $40 US BUCKS. Uh, yes, I am not lying. It was delish. A must do!!!

Our trip to Santiago - uhmmm...aside from the excitement of gazillions of pasolas/motoconchos was awesome. In the company of friends and family, what couldn't be.

Adjusting to the cuisine of the island was nothing. My husband and friend asked why things tasted so great, and aside from the seasonings all I could conjure up was that everything was fresh and FREE of growth hormones and preservatives. It has been more trouble returning and adjusting to american food than it was to adjust to food on the island.

I will be posting pictures soon but until then... I am purchasing my tickets to return home in December .

Susana

--------------------------------------------------------

Falls from heaven - a report
WOOOOOO!!!

I just got back from DR and completing the Falls of Rio Damajagua, as promised, here is my report:

Woke up early on Saturday since the excursion started at 8a.m We had a driver take us to Iguana Mama in Cabarete although they offered to pick us up. At the Iguana office we were treated to croissants, O.J. and Coffee. To say it was a pleasant welcome would be fitting.

My party was of 3 (my hubby, best friend, and myself) as well as two older people who were going simply to take photographs. Uh...ok. To each their own. Adolfo was our tour guide and Jose was the driver. In Imbert we picked up Jorge and Negro to help us tour the falls and help us be lifted or whatever assistance was necessary to get through them.

The water was chilly but not disturbing. Nothing like the FREEZING water in Arizona. The reflecting pools were clear and beautiful. At times it was a bit rough to get to the falls (of which Iguana Mama takes you to 12) but nothing dangerous - let me take that back...there was one climb that my husband and I both grew concerned with. You had to scale the side of a rock while holding on to a rope. Perhaps this needs to be better planned and indeed, you have to have upper body strength. However, it was amazing.

The jumps were not scary but a bit intimidating when you first step up to the ledge. For some you have a choice to slide. We mixed and matched and enjoyed all. The sliding portion ACTUALLY slid on the smooth rock - not the kind where you kinda get stuck after you put your butt down. It was perfectly smooth.

We were thankful that the excursion started early since by the time we got back to the first fall the crowd was tremendous and we had to wait for it to clear a little in order to jump. Our guide and assistants were awesome and joked along the way. Being Dominican it was great to hear their take on a lot of things and not just "put your foot here" or "here, let me help you". At times people forget that these people are not just tour guides but individuals.

Iguana Mama then takes you to a wonderful restaurant in Imbert to have a buffet style lunch. The food and company is delicious.

At the end of the trip I was sure to take phone numbers for both the driver (who does private taxi service), and for the guide who will take private parties to the falls. Both were great humble folks who I got to know in our 4 hour excursion. In my opinion, the best way to get to things is with a native - in my next trip, Iguana Mama served a great purpose but I'll be calling Jose and Jorge to schedule my outings and be sure that they get more money for their families. I guess that's just an ex-pat for ya.

That is a bargain!!! Wow!!! :classic: