Tv help

T

thompstr

A friend I dr tv broke,I'm going to dr tomorrow,
Should I buy one here in Canada and bring it down?
A 32 inch flat screen.
Or is there too much duties,any advice
I can buy a tv for like 200.00 cad ,is it worth while bringing down
Thanks for any advice
Tom

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

W

windeguy

Anything under $200 US should have no duty. I am not Canadian,but I understand Canadians bring them down all of the time. US airlines don't allow boxes as baggage. I think you will be OK bringing one under $200 US down.

S

Son of a sailor

32 inch seems a bit cumbersome to bring down n your luggage. if you can get out to Santiago, there's a Costco like store there with some good (Dominican) deals on TV's. I did a couple comparisons last time I was there, and the prices were close to what you'd find at best buy or Costco in the states.

W

waytogo

And don't forget how your baggage is handled........
Good chance it won't make it in one piece......

S

SKY

I brought several 32 inch TV's in checked luggage. Always took it out of the box and wrapped towels around the screen. Never broke one, and never had a problem with customs.

U

USA DOC

32 inch seems a bit cumbersome to bring down n your luggage. if you can get out to Santiago, there's a Costco like store there with some good (Dominican) deals on TV's. I did a couple comparisons last time I was there, and the prices were close to what you'd find at best buy or Costco in the states.

that store is called pricemart... in Santiago...on black Friday deals are wonderful there...

U

USA DOC

I brought several 32 inch TV's in checked luggage. Always took it out of the box and wrapped towels around the screen. Never broke one, and never had a problem with customs.

...I have done exactly the same about 4 times..no problem..

Z

zoomzx11

And don't forget how your baggage is handled........
Good chance it won't make it in one piece......

We have cracked the screens twice packing them in luggage.
We are slow learners but the second one seems to have done the trick.

C

cavok

Bring it down. Just make sure it's less than $200 and have the receipt. American charges an extra $200 if the box is more than 62 inches overall, so a 32" is as big as you can bring w/o paying extra.

A friend of mine just came down Sunday with a 32" in his suitcase. No problem.

H

healimonster

I have done as well. 32 inch Roku TV in large suitcase. No hassle at all.

S

SKY

You will pay extra anyway, just about any airline will charge you to check a TV in a box. Put it in your luggage wrapped well with towels.

U

USA DOC

You will pay extra anyway, just about any airline will charge you to check a TV in a box. Put it in your luggage wrapped well with towels.

...use the premium towels.. hard or impossible to find here...….

R

RDKNIGHT

I would buy the tv here the prices on tv's are really starting to come down...why stress your self out with a tv in your luggage. for 250 your get a tv now..

D

dinosinc

brought one repacked with towels, checked luggage N/C via Westjet got stop and just showed them a bill/receipt that showed it was under 200$ and that I was using it as a computer monitor, plus I had a translated receipt in Spanish