Moving from Cabarete to Las Canas - Will I feel Isolated? Where are the Expats there

M

MikeKolo

Hello Friends,

Just over 2 years ago my wife and I along with our 2 young daughters moved from Canada to the North coast of the DR. We have been living in a Villa in a nice gated community and on December 1st we will be moving to a Private Beach Front Villa in Las Canas.

We are concerned about feel isolated as we are surrounded by Expats in Cabarate and Sosua, but that will be different in the Area of Las Canas / Gasper Hernandez /Sabaneta de Yasica.

So I am reaching out and asking how do Expats in the area cope with this? How do they meet / get together. What are the good restaurants in the area? There is a bit more culture shock living in that area verses the Expatcentric area we are coming from.

If you would like to contact me please feel free. My whatsapp is 8295845091

Thank you for all your help,
Michael and Sylvia

C

Caonabo

Hello Friends,

Just over 2 years ago my wife and I along with our 2 young daughters moved from Canada to the North coast of the DR. We have been living in a Villa in a nice gated community and on December 1st we will be moving to a Private Beach Front Villa in Las Canas.

We are concerned about feel isolated as we are surrounded by Expats in Cabarate and Sosua, but that will be different in the Area of Las Canas / Gasper Hernandez /Sabaneta de Yasica.

So I am reaching out and asking how do Expats in the area cope with this? How do they meet / get together. What are the good restaurants in the area? There is a bit more culture shock living in that area verses the Expatcentric area we are coming from.

Michael and Sylvia

You, or a moderator should remove your personal number from a public web forum.

M

MikeKolo

You, or a moderator should remove your personal number from a public web forum. I do not have permission to Edit my own Post :(

W

windeguy

We have a homeowner in the development where we live who recently thought she would be better off in Las Canas. (We chuckled about it at the time. Yeah, right, good luck with that...)

So , she put the house here on Cabarete on the market and took a place front on the beach in Las Canas.

In less than a month, she was back living in our development again. She did not feel safe and secure at all in Las Canas, and this is a person originally from Central America, not a skittish European or North American.

Good luck.

P.S. As for good restaurants there, I never heard of one in town on our occasional visits, but I never lived there. I suspect there are only a few expats that do.

Last edited:
U

USA DOC

….I do live in a area that is all Dominicans...Rarely see any tourists or non Dominicans..like being here a lot..you do have to make a few adjustments. security is number one....

W

william webster

I have no foreigners near me ---
well, one but never comes.......

Just Dominicans and I find it fine...... I respect them - they reciprocate

I use a neighbor if I need work done.....
My on site employees are all local

They have a vested interested in keeping me alive !!!
hahahaha

C

cavok

Las Canas is pretty isolated. Good security is an absolute must. A couple years ago I heard it was not very safe living there. I doubt that's changed for the better.

Can't think of any good restaurants nearby. A couple decent ones maybe in Gaspar, but typical Dominican ones(I remember one next to the Texaco station in GH) and not many expats in that area.

B

badpiece33

Was out there a few times in the last month, many of the beach front homes are abandoned in Las Canas, That is not a good sign. I stopped at a colmado and got a cold drink and talked with the people there, they all seemed nice enough, but it is not those people I would be worried about. I myself probably would not live there, not only because no expats but more so because most of the beach front homes are not occupied.

S

Sosua Sonny

Wow. After reading all these posts I am getting concerned for the OP.

L

LindseyKaufman

This is not about Las Canas, but about his reference to living in an area where there are no expats. It is quite an adjustment. I live in Jamao. Almost everyone here and throughout the Jamao mountain area is an acquaintance of mine because of the work I do. However, we have no friends like we did in Sosua and Cabarete. There is no one to call and say, "Come on over for dinner." Or, "Want to come swimming and do a barbecue?"

We have invited locals we trust here, but it is not the same. The topics of conversation are different. They act as guests, not friends. We wait on them. The get together feels stiff.

There is no one in Jamao that I can just call on the phone to chat.

And always, I must keep in mind the impression I make and my safety. Some things we say are interpreted differently here.

There are some Germans who live in the area and we are friends with them, but they live far and still, it is not the same.

Don't get me wrong. I love Jamao and this is where I want to live. But it can be a lonely life, living away from the culture and type of people we are comfortable with.

Lindsey

B

Bob Boyd

I lived in Las Canas for 9 years and felt relatively safe. On the other hand for restaurants and grocery's you'll need Cabarete and Sosua. Most people who live there can't wait to move back to civilization.

W

windeguy

I lived in Las Canas for 9 years and felt relatively safe. On the other hand for restaurants and grocery's you'll need Cabarete and Sosua. Most people who live there can't wait to move back to civilization.

It only took one month for the woman and her children that I mentioned to get out of Las Canas. Should the OP be concerned? Absolutely.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Everyone has there own ideas when it comes to an acceptable level of risk and general well being/living requirements. I reread the OP's original post and this is not a, "I'm thinking about moving to...", that is in fact an "I am moving to... and what do you think" post. This appears to be an after the fact attempt to get some reassurance for a decision that that OP is already be questioning. Clearly, there is a reason above and beyond cultural immersion for leaving a gated community in expat central for the hinterlands of places such as Las Canas, Rio San Juan, Gaspar Hernandez etc.

Based on the phrasing of their post, the OP comes across as a bit of a social butterfly and having contact with expats is important to them. That is easy to understand, but the decision to move to Las Canas then becomes a bit more perplexing. The time for this type of question/discussion is before a decision to move to a remote place is made.

So, no. Las Canas is not a hive of expat activity and the opportunities for finding new best friends is going to be (and pragmatically should probably be) limited.

Next consideration - Loneliness or isolation may precipitate driving back to civilization more often than is necessary. The further out you go, the further you have to drive. The more you drive, the greater the personal risk inherent in that activity. Every time you pull out onto Hwy 5, you do so at some person peril. From accidents, to shakedowns, to breakdowns and all manners of inconvenience great and small, the more you do something the greater the chances of misfortune befalling you. Living far from the comforts of larger towns usually means a large grocery run once a month and local colmado usage for the everyday staples in between. Or at least it should. It would be a shame to prang an expensive car jogging into Sosua for a bag of dog food and a round or two of bingo.

Sit at a cafe on the main drag of Las Canas for a couple of hours and count the number of foreign faces you see. If the total is less than 5, it's a pretty safe bet that there aren't many such people around day to day. I suspect the vast majority would be passing through on their way to somewhere else.

It takes a certain personality type to exist for long stretches of time on their own without a community of somewhat shared interests and experiences. Not being this type of personality can compel someone to be inappropriately friendly or inviting towards the wrong people out of necessity or desperation.

One should consider how long it will take for help to arrive should you need to call for an ambulance, the police, a friend, anyone? Do you have the ability to attempt to outlast any such delay? Can you be self sufficient and self reliant enough to get through loneliness and periods of rain that sometimes wash out roads or bridges that cut you off from the people and services you are used to?

In a nutshell, this is going to be an "interesting" experience for the OP. When a post centres on concepts of loneliness and isolation I would hazard a guess that the OP may not be one of these strong individualist types that will thrive living smack dab in the middle of Dominican culture 24/7. How much additional risk will the "young daughters" be exposed to just travelling to and from school everyday?

Alas, we can speculate endlessly. The decision seems to have been already made and the OP will be able to report back from time to time to let us know the actual answers to their own questions and concerns.

Simply put, expats that are adverse to being isolated cope by not putting themselves in a situation that leads to loneliness and isolation. Some of my earliest posts on this forum detail why I moved to Sosua. It was not for the cultural institutions, the great shopping opportunities or being enamored with the beach. I moved to Sosua because and only because this is where the English speakers can be found in a concentration sufficient to overcome my complete lack of Spanish comprehension and usage at that time. I did consider Rio San Juan as a first place of habitation, but that would have been stupid and I am quite happy that I was smart enough to realize that before committing.

Good luck OP. Please let us know how it works out for you.

C

chico bill

You need reliable friends. I know some Dominicans are reliable, but they always seem to want something for their friendship and help, usually money.
At times you will need someone to watch & feed your dog, take you to the hospital, borrow a tool, knowing you will return it, share tips on DR and advice on how to navigate certain bureaucracies or contractors, etc.

You will not bond like that with Dominicans. They just live a little outside our halo of trust.

A

AlterEgo

This is not about Las Canas, but about his reference to living in an area where there are no expats. It is quite an adjustment. I live in Jamao. Almost everyone here and throughout the Jamao mountain area is an acquaintance of mine because of the work I do. However, we have no friends like we did in Sosua and Cabarete. There is no one to call and say, "Come on over for dinner." Or, "Want to come swimming and do a barbecue?"

We have invited locals we trust here, but it is not the same. The topics of conversation are different. They act as guests, not friends. We wait on them. The get together feels stiff.

There is no one in Jamao that I can just call on the phone to chat.

And always, I must keep in mind the impression I make and my safety. Some things we say are interpreted differently here.

There are some Germans who live in the area and we are friends with them, but they live far and still, it is not the same.

Don't get me wrong. I love Jamao and this is where I want to live. But it can be a lonely life, living away from the culture and type of people we are comfortable with.

Lindsey

I really identify with this. The only other “expats” living near us are a retired Dominican couple who lived close to 50 years in the US. I had a longtime American friend living in SD who died, and mountainannie left for Florida. When I need to hear a friendly American voice, I bother JD Jones, lol!

M

malko

I really identify with this. The only other “expats” living near us are a retired Dominican couple who lived close to 50 years in the US. I had a longtime American friend living in SD who died, and mountainannie left for Florida. When I need to hear a friendly American voice, I bother JD Jones, lol!

I am quite happy w/o hearing an american/british, french, german etc voice for weeks on end.
If i really need to, then there is netflix ;)

A

AlterEgo

I am quite happy w/o hearing an american/british, french, german etc voice for weeks on end.
If i really need to, then there is netflix ;)

Well I’m there for months at a time, no Netflix either, but not much of a TV watcher. It’s not even a barrio, it’s campo. Some nice people, but less than nothing in common, and I don’t mean language. I read. A lot.

H

Harleysrock

Hello Friends,

Michael and Sylvia

Yes you will feel isolated, I live there and my wife hates it bc of that. I like not living near expats personally. There are of course expats there but they kinda come and go if they own or it is party vacationers. I rarely go to GH and for everything including food/ restaurants or people to hang out with I go to sosua or Cabarete.

I like it out there but if you need friends close around it may be hard for you. If you don’t have a car it will suck badly!
I like it bc it is safe quiet and beautiful and the drama of the expat world is just not there.
I couldn’t name one good restaurant in that area.
Hope it works out for you :).

M

Matilda

I live in an area with no expats - in fact I think I am possibly the only one in the whole province. Personally I prefer not being surrounded by expats, but my expat friends are online to talk to, and every so often I make a trip to the north coast or east coast, Santiago or Santo Domingo to meet my friends. It certainly makes you appreciate good food, as here the only restaurant only serves goat - nice goat mind. I do have a lot of Dominican friends here, well acquaintances, and although we don't have much in common, we often have coffee and chats. It is more of a natural laid back life style, with less mod cons, and I much prefer it to living in an expat area. But each to his or her own. You will probably discover you love it, and at least you have the rest of the family to speak to in English, my house is all Spanish. While there may be disadvantages in the lack of expats and restaurants, there will be several advantages, such as learning more Spanish (in case you are not fluent already), learning more about and experiencing the Dominican culture, cooking more as no restaurants, and more family time. Good luck - I am sure it will be a valuable learning experience for the whole family.

Matilda