Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not Dominican, but I'd be upset if I were.

2. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

A little more about the flag’s centerpiece

CFD2E751-B801-4F85-8A40-2E08DF05A2A5.jpg

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My Facebook feed had a thread of many Dominicans all opposed to a new flag.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The question is who is pushing this new flag and what is their agenda.

And for those who think that the original flag is nothing more than a religious symbol I then urge you to read a Dominican history book.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I am all for removing anything religiously oriented from any government, so the altered flag is a good thing from my perspective. That said, I don't imagine it will end up being the "new" flag. There are way too many superstitious people here.

7. Likes Juan Bosch, drstock, bachata liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    The question is who is pushing this new flag and what is their agenda.

And for those who think that the original flag is nothing more than a religious symbol I then urge you to read a Dominican history book.
    ...couldn't happen without Danilo...I think he is a angry guy about not being the president again, and again and maybe more......

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I am all for removing anything religiously oriented from any government, so the altered flag is a good thing from my perspective. That said, I don't imagine it will end up being the "new" flag. There are way too many superstitious people here.

...IN God we trust...American money.....

10. Likes ogunjobi123 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominicans are proud of their flag just as most people are no matter which country you come from. Hardly anyone would like their flag altered, especially by a politician. The only way a flag should justifiably be changed is if the public wished it to happen and even then there should be a damn good reason to need to change what proudly represents their country. I am not a religious person at all but I respect the fact that the Dominican flag has the bible, would never criticize that and would not have a right to anyway as I am not Dominican. The only people that should have a say are Dominicans and other peoples opinions should not matter, it is their flag. I am very happy to see that Dominicans are coming together to protect something that is rightfully theirs.

12. Likes Big, irishpaddy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be going blind, but i don't see any change to the coat of arms, or the flag as a whole.
    can someone point me in the right direction?

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a law that requires all Dominican flags need to have the national coat of arms in the center.

Without the support of the Catholic church, there would be no Dominican Republic. Its also hard to not notice the effect of religion in everything that lead to the creation of the country, which impacted everything afterwards including many people finding their spouse, moving to DR, possibility of retiring without going broke, etc in our day. Santo Domingo probably is the largest city in the Americas with the most religious symbols glaring above, including the Plaza de la Bandera which has the largest Christian cross on the ground (main reason why a part of it requires an underpass). Almost all these places were built by the Dominican government and had the religious symbols intentionally added. Even the National Theater looks like a Christian cross from satelite images.

Polls Forum Moderator

15. Likes ogunjobi123 liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast