Dominican Flag Controversy

A

AlterEgo

To the Dominicans reading this.......I’d like to hear your thoughts about the controversy over the “new” Dominican flag. Danilo getting flack for wearing a hat with the altered flag, etc.

Is it a big deal, in your opinion?

C

CristoRey

Dominican flag is the only national flag in the world with a picture
of the bible on it. Not a good luck for Danilo. Sure to ruffle some
feathers.

H

Harleysrock

I got the same one tatted on my leg, no way was I putting religious stuff on me. Dominicans always compliment me on it. Not sure if they would tell me if they were ****ed about it though to my face?

L

ljmesg

Looks like the hat he has on has no insignias in the middle of the flag.

D

Derfish

My Facebook feed had a thread of many Dominicans all opposed to a new flag.

C

carlos

The question is who is pushing this new flag and what is their agenda.

And for those who think that the original flag is nothing more than a religious symbol I then urge you to read a Dominican history book.

W

windeguy

I am all for removing anything religiously oriented from any government, so the altered flag is a good thing from my perspective. That said, I don't imagine it will end up being the "new" flag. There are way too many superstitious people here.

U

USA DOC

The question is who is pushing this new flag and what is their agenda.

And for those who think that the original flag is nothing more than a religious symbol I then urge you to read a Dominican history book.

...couldn't happen without Danilo...I think he is a angry guy about not being the president again, and again and maybe more......

U

USA DOC

I am all for removing anything religiously oriented from any government, so the altered flag is a good thing from my perspective. That said, I don't imagine it will end up being the "new" flag. There are way too many superstitious people here.

...IN God we trust...American money.....

T

tee

Dominicans are proud of their flag just as most people are no matter which country you come from. Hardly anyone would like their flag altered, especially by a politician. The only way a flag should justifiably be changed is if the public wished it to happen and even then there should be a damn good reason to need to change what proudly represents their country. I am not a religious person at all but I respect the fact that the Dominican flag has the bible, would never criticize that and would not have a right to anyway as I am not Dominican. The only people that should have a say are Dominicans and other peoples opinions should not matter, it is their flag. I am very happy to see that Dominicans are coming together to protect something that is rightfully theirs.

S

Son of a sailor

I must be going blind, but i don't see any change to the coat of arms, or the flag as a whole.
can someone point me in the right direction?

N

NALs

There is a law that requires all Dominican flags need to have the national coat of arms in the center.

Without the support of the Catholic church, there would be no Dominican Republic. Its also hard to not notice the effect of religion in everything that lead to the creation of the country, which impacted everything afterwards including many people finding their spouse, moving to DR, possibility of retiring without going broke, etc in our day. Santo Domingo probably is the largest city in the Americas with the most religious symbols glaring above, including the Plaza de la Bandera which has the largest Christian cross on the ground (main reason why a part of it requires an underpass). Almost all these places were built by the Dominican government and had the religious symbols intentionally added. Even the National Theater looks like a Christian cross from satelite images.