Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tankless electric hot water heater

I live in an apartment with limited space. I want to install a tankless electric water heater. My water comes from a tinaco so not much preasure so I will add a pump to increase the preasure to insure the water doesnt get too hot. All controlled by a wall switch to be used when showering. Has anyone seen either of these products here on the north coast. Years ago I remember seeing a heater at a store in Santiago but haven't seen one lately. Access to the required plumbing is easyily accesable in a closet behind bathroom. What do you think of my little plan. Winter is coming and that cold water on my back will likely give me a heart attack.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen them, but they have very high current draw - over a 100 amps I believe, so make sure you have a breaker panel that can handle it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

want to buy a 5 gal propane tank & go gas ?

You do need a certain flow rate to trigger the heater - in both cases

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The specs on the one im looking at Specifications:
    Material: Stainless Steel Shell
    Color: Black, Golden, Red(optional)
    Power: 3400W
    Current: 16A
    Voltage: 110V
    Rated Frequency: 50Hz
    Rated Pressure: 0.4-0.6Mpa
    Waterproof Grade: IPX4
    Temperature: 30-55℃
    Size: Approx. 20 x 10.5cm / 7.87 x 4.13inch
    thats from amazon

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a gas one in Santiago. Worked great but it also needed a booster pump. They take up more space and need to be outside or properly vented.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they do....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You need sufficient water pressure to activate the water heater. Because you are in an apartment, an electric heater is what you want.

You will most likely need a small water pump to boost water pressure as you have already surmised. Check the specs for the heater you are going to buy to see how much pressure is needed for the heater to work. Find a competent plumber to do the piping and tie into your hot water line. Get a crackerjack electrician to wire in the heater and install your pump switch. The appliance will need it's own 20A circuit. Do not permit the electrician to piggyback it on an existing circuit or worse, ponytail a new breaker onto an existing circuit.

The heater itself will have its own on/off toggle switch (usually on the bottom of the appliance. So you might consider installing the pump in a location that boosts the water pressure as it leaves the tinaco but before the split into hot/cold lines. This will give you the option to boost pressure to all faucets/toilets if you want to. Hot water at the kitchen sink could be useful as well as in the shower...

8. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

its a Dominican apartment. one water line. Im not going to replumb the building. Just want warm shower this winter. Im the competent plumber and crackerjack electrician. Better than most here. The more flow the lower the tempature in this heater. Im also a better carpenter too. Last week the landlord hired a carpenter to trim a door.....he used a machete. You can imagine the results

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the electric one bought here at Luciano’s pappetera 10000 peso ...Works great and really doesn’t use much electricity .. I was going to go propane but logistics was bad...glad I did it ...

11. Likes rogerjac, Meemselle liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogerjac View Post
    Rated Pressure: 0.4-0.6Mpa
    This translates to 58psi to 80psi.

Typical water pressure in a home in the states is 40-45psi. You may want to check what this rating actually means. I am not sure.

Max pressure at my villa is 40psi and this usually runs my hot water tank. I do not know the rating. Hot and cold mix is always problem though.

What is the water pressure in your system in psi?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast