Wanting infor on spending 6 months in Puerto Plata Nov-April

S

shaunsyd

Hello everyone, New person here Anyway my husband and I are frequent travelers to Puerto Plata and are looking into spending our "winter" months down there (Nov~April) Now I think we need a different "visa" when we do this.......if someone knows please let me know. We are Canadian and want to start doing this by next year. We are wanting to Rent but would like any information that anyone has to share with us. Anything would be appreciated
thankssssssssssssssssssssss

F

Fulano2

Hello.
It’s mainly, tourist-visa and overstay, being illegal en pay when you return to your country. Or apply for residency.

U

USA DOC

...when I first came here I stayed at a all inclusive at Playa Dorado, for about 9 months.. it was perfect..Talked to the manager and paid about $900 a month, and remember that was for about everything you need.....

F

Fulano2

That’s interesting....where you allowed to put in your OWN furniture? How about the laundry?

U

USA DOC

That’s interesting....where you allowed to put in your OWN furniture? How about the laundry?

...they have furniture.. yes they did my laundry.....and as many guests as I wanted....

D

Derfish

Hello everyone, New person here Anyway my husband and I are frequent travelers to Puerto Plata and are looking into spending our "winter" months down there (Nov~April) Now I think we need a different "visa" when we do this.......if someone knows please let me know. We are Canadian and want to start doing this by next year. We are wanting to Rent but would like any information that anyone has to share with us. Anything would be appreciated
thankssssssssssssssssssssss

Check out suncampdr.com if you are wishing to live on the lower end of the scale cost wise.

D

drstock

Just come and pay the tourist visa when you arrive. This is good for a month. When you leave, you pay the "fine" for overstaying. If you are thinking of doing this on an annual basis you can think about getting official Residency, but many people don't.

shaunsyd

Oct 23, 2019
...when I first came here I stayed at a all inclusive at Playa Dorado, for about 9 months.. it was perfect..Talked to the manager and paid about $900 a month, and remember that was for about everything you need.....

thanks for getting back to me and We've stayed many many times In Playa Dorado (Heavens) Which resort did you go this at? And when did you do this? This is very very interesting.
Please get back to me lol lol lol cause this is really good if they allow it.
Penny

shaunsyd

Oct 23, 2019
Please do tell more information. which resort and when did you do this? I mean if we could do that my husbands all in for this one ;) So you still got to use the resort food etc???

shaunsyd

Oct 23, 2019
I know that we can get a "tourist card" (up here in Canada) and that is for 30 days only. then they want us to go get an extension 120 days (supposedly somewhere at the Canadian Consulate in Puerto Plata....but we have to do that twice in order to get another 120 days. This seems stupid to me. What is the "FINE" for overstaying? And will this effect us next time we want to go? As for Official Residency, what does this entail? and really is it worth it?
thanks much

shaunsyd

Oct 23, 2019
What are you looking at if you overstay? and will this hinder us next time we want to go down?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
thanks for getting back to me and We've stayed many many times In Playa Dorado (Heavens) Which resort did you go this at? And when did you do this? This is very very interesting.
Please get back to me lol lol lol cause this is really good if they allow it.
Penny

...The resort I stayed at was Sunscape...it was about 5 years ago , I have 2 friends that are doing this now .. I stayed at Sunscape this summer for a week, sad to say it has changed. new management and cost cutting..now I will go to Iberostar or V.H...call all the ones you like and talk to the general manager..And yes I had a Room that was close to the front desk and not noisey. had a very good time...…..Doc....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No it wont affect your next visit, but dont drive a car after 30 days. You are illegal.

I know people that have been here for 30 years. They have cars, insurance, and no current license. And NOTHING ever happened to them by law enforcement. They get pulled over and let go. You never heard on DR1 of anyone getting arrested or their car taken for driving with NO license. The DR is great. It is a "Grey Country" unlike any other.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Did the people you know ever had an accident? ....Let me guess..
That’s when grey changes colour...

Pay the exit fees at the airport when you leave. There is no other visa, my lawyer just went to the SD immigration office to ask questions to extend your visa. They told him they don't do that and for the person to just pay the exit fees when they leave.
If you are extremely nervous to do this you could get residency but seems like a waste of time and money to me and really not needed imo. Everyone else just pays at the airport. Having a return ticket is a good idea if you don't want extra hassle.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They do extend the Visa, you pay for it at the airport when you leave. Easy, Peasy..................

Did the people you know ever had an accident? ....Let me guess..
That’s when grey changes colour...

My wife and I have had about 100 accidents, no Dr license and at times 0 valid drivers licenses. We do have expired residency though. Never had an accident yet with valid residency. The key is to have a great relationship with a reputable insurance company.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to live here full time you need to wipe your memory of customs, laws, etc. from where you came from. Otherwise you WILL be miserable................Instead of living a life you never could have had before you got here..............