New to Concrete

F

Farmer

Coming from the world of drywall, hanging pictures or whatnot is fairly straightforward. Find the stud or use an anchor. What's the best choice for concrete walls? Adhesive wall hooks for small items? Hardwall hangers (hook with three or four small nails)? Or masonry nails for larger items. Do I use concrete wedge anchors for things like towel bars and heavier needs? Thought I'd ask before I upset the wife. Thanks.

L

lifeisgreat

Drill and wall plug adhesive will eventually let go ..

R

rogerjac

a hammer drill is something you can't live without here. Anytime you want to hang something you need it.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks all. The tapcons aren't available at F. Ochoa or F. Bellón?

Off and on. If you want a good laugh go into a hardware store and ask for Tapcons. Even when they have them in stock, the only name they know is "torniillos de cemento que no usa torugo"

I've found tapcons are overkill for most things here. I use the little nails with the push on plastic head for most light stuff, and the blue or green plastic inserts with Drywall screws (diablitos) for just about everything else. (I have had zero luck with the plastic hangers with 2 or 3 small nails you hammer in with two or three hits)

Super heavy stuff (inverter battery rack) gets the threaded lead torugos.

As mentioned before, a hammer drill is imperative. A B & D one is only 40-50 bucks here and get the job done.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Get a cordless 1/2" hammer drill, (Milwaukee or Dewalt or Bosh) & get an assortment of plastic wall anchors and stainless screws (see Amazon, Home Depot or eBay), but they sell them here too, and decent masonry bits (Bosch makes good drill kits) - good bits hard to find in DR.
You don't need expanding 'redhead' type anchors unless you are bolting down a pool pump or hanging a heavy metal gate.

Easy to hang a TV or pictures or racks or towel bars in a house with plastic anchors and they drill out easy for patching later if you want to cement fill the hole

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks all. The tapcons aren't available at F. Ochoa or F. Bellón?

I just never went looking for them. I was bringing down power tools anyways so I just threw in an assortment of tapcons. I'd be happy to loan you a few, but I'm on the north coast.