Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cabarete slowly dying?

have been coming down for over 15 years and own a condo just east of cabarete and have never seen it so slow. more than 1/2 of the restaurants on the beach are closed and the one,s that are open aren,t very busy. noted d,hot has closed since here last and I thought their food was great and was something different . is this the result of all the bad publicity which was mostly in punta cana or the high airline fares into Puerta plata ? or is it entirely different?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it was cleaned up by the authorities, what happened to all the family tourists, I guess they didn't make it... ! lol

That's what they are planning for all the north coast, cleaned up, empty spaces - and low real estate prices, so the local rich money grabbers can move in and take over, long time plan, but they are working on it.

3. Likes ogunjobi123 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    and low real estate prices
    Where?
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This summer in Cabarete has been particularly quiet. I think the OP is right is his assessment that bad publicity in Punta Cana, which is applied to the whole DR, plus the high price of flying to Puerto Plata, are contributory factors. There were also NO direct summer flights from Europe to POP this year. However, things are already starting to get busier for the snowbird season and I expect many, if not all, of the currently closed restaurants to re-open soon.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think the owner of a closed restaurant is waiting, paying rent, employees, until things are a bit better?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

All the bad publicity in the states is definitely a factor. it was months long everyday in the media. no real news, just fear this kinda stuff. no one could put two and two together, kept showing pictures of unhealthy looking people, and then a headline "look who died in the DR today!!! don't drink the liquor!, don't go there. people even die on the way!" really seemed conspiratorial to me.

all started with the speeding drunks on the way to the airport ending up in the sea.

8. Likes JDJones, beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We just got thru October and starting into November. Always a slow time of year in Cabarete, along with the weeks prior to Semana Santa.

The wind isn’t conducive to kiting, kids are back in school and college, and it’s neither winter nor summer vacation time.

The Jazz festival provides a bump and this past 3 day weekend the town was noticeably busier. Thanksgiving will also provide a small increase as some Americans make a long weekend trip down.

Historically it’s a time that restaurant owners take vacation. Personally, it’s one of my favorite times of year here. Quiet, easy parking, and the heat is waning... no complaints.

Come mid-December things will pick up again for the winter season.

10. Likes windeguy, sosuamatt liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Son of a sailor View Post
    All the bad publicity in the states is definitely a factor. it was months long everyday in the media. no real news, just fear this kinda stuff. no one could put two and two together, kept showing pictures of unhealthy looking people, and then a headline "look who died in the DR today!!! don't drink the liquor!, don't go there. people even die on the way!" really seemed conspiratorial to me.

all started with the speeding drunks on the way to the airport ending up in the sea.
    Glad you are back!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    Maybe it was cleaned up by the authorities, what happened to all the family tourists, I guess they didn't make it... ! lol

That's what they are planning for all the north coast, cleaned up, empty spaces - and low real estate prices, so the local rich money grabbers can move in and take over, long time plan, but they are working on it.
    The slow down in Cabarete has nothing to do with a clean up. I suspect you are thinking of Sosua and the police action last night. Only one whore house was moved out of Cabarete, the one near Janet's, and they were given notice to leave, moved to Sosua and were shut down in Sosua for promoting prostitution, which is illegal. A clean up has nothing to do with Cabarete's problems. Nor is your conspiracy theory at work here.

All of the north coast has slowed down over the past 16 years. It has to do with hotels being turned into condos, Punta Cana being the focus of DR tourism with no promotion of the north coast, existing AI resorts fell into disrepair, hence fewer airlines flying to POP, that increased costs of airlines flights and caused bad connections to POP for those the remained. And of course all of the bad publicity and fake news did not help tourism throughout the country.

Those are the reasons Cabarete and all of the north coast have fewer tourists than before. Not any government action.
    Last edited by windeguy; 11-07-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

it will get better ... a LOT better
    . I am hearing Lots of POSITIVE talk here in the states for example , people who never even heard of the DR before , and believed the MSM Negative Publicity , but now after the FBI report see it was all complete BS. and DR is in fact VERY SAFE ,especially compared to Mexico where it is common knowledge that you do NOT leave your Resort once you check it .
    Spring 2020 imho is going to be HUGE for DR Tourism ,, people are booking already for Spring .
    The Fake Negative stuff may have actually HELPED the DR in the long run .

14. Likes ohmmmm, ctrob liked this post
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast