Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SDQ Uber with US SIM-card

What is the current situation?
    Is it possible to reliably get an Uber in SDQ airport with a US SIM card in the smartphone?
    Negotiating a "non-gringo" price with those taxistas every time is EXTREMELY unpleasant.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a US SIM

but they tell us the Uber drivers don't like the airport run

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a US SIM

but they tell us the Uber drivers don't like the airport run

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...highlight=uber

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You must point the pick up location outside of the airport area where the taxis from
    Airport are located, like Airport lateral exit driveway.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    You must point the pick up location outside of the airport area where the taxis from
    Airport are located, like Airport lateral exit driveway.
    I'm not quite clear on what you are staying here. Are you saying the app tells the driver you are at the airport but NOT exactly the location at the airport??

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what service provider you have. If you have the big three Verizon AT&T or T-Mobile you'll be fine getting an Uber in most locations. All of those other companies you don't have a chance in hell.

But anyway when you land your U.S phone will immediately say welcome to the Caribbean and it will tell you the rates and stuff for their service. I have T-Mobile so my service it's free at 2G speeds

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    I'm not quite clear on what you are staying here. Are you saying the app tells the driver you are at the airport but NOT exactly the location at the airport??
    No, the app give you the option to move the point and let you select where you want to be picked up, remember the pick up location use the gps, you can change it or just move to where you wants to be pick up. As the airport has official taxi company Uber drivers do not pick up people in the exit zone at the airport, thats why you have yo move further outside of that area.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I still don't think Uber to or from SDQ is a good idea. Personally I wouldn't do it. Uber has set the rates from the city to the airport way low, and this means the drivers either refuse to take you (this happened to me 4 times which meant I arrived at the airport nearly an hour later than intended). Or they are looking for ways to get extra cash. And this is the one time that you are travelling with all your valuables with you, including your passport. If you're staying in a hotel I would get the hotel to arrange the transport for you. Yes it costs more, but no hotel is going to take risks with this. If you have a friend, this is the time to get them to pick you up. And if not, then go online and book a pick-up with a reputable service. Cost will be US$40 one-way, which is maybe US$ 10-15 more than Uber, but I just don't think this is a good moment to be economizing.

The rest of the time, Uber works perfectly in Santo Domingo and I strongly recommend it. It's just for the airport where I don't think it is a good idea.

9. Likes NanSanPedro liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul makes a good point and offers sound advice, especially for those new to Santo Domingo.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

you can take both to and from the airport. They pick you up and drop you off from the second floor. That way everybody gets to avoid the taxi drivers. I paid 11 bucks, as I recall. daytime normal hours. better car than most of the taxis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast