Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car insurance confusion

I am trying to decipher how car insurance works.

It seems that there is a standard deductible of 1% of value of car and that I cannot increase the deductible to reduce my premium. Correct?

The insured value normally decreases over the years as depreciation kicks in. Here it seems that your premium continues to be based on the original value yet if you total your car they wont give you the original value only the current value - if you are lucky.

Can someone provide feedback on their experience with Pepin vehiculos insurnce in Puerto plata? how about Ban reservas? The quoted amount is similar.
    Which is the best vehicule insurance in the North Coast?
    Any pitfalls to avoid?

Many thanks!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you get a broker. Insurance in Dom Rep seems to be quite old fashioned and the companies seem quite happy to work through brokers rather than trying to get you to go direct to them. A good broker will get quotes from you, and will also manage all interaction with the insurance company including making sure that they pay when you have a claim. I have always used a lady called Zaide Alba from brokers Alva Cavagliano website http://www.coalcava.com/ and would highly recommend her. She is incredibly efficient and honest. I think she speaks some English. I would suggest you get in touch and ask her your questions as she will be able to explain exactly how everything works with all the different companies.

3. Likes Neargale, malko, JDJones, Russell liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Neargale View Post

It seems that there is a standard deductible of 1% of value of car and that I cannot increase the deductible to reduce my premium. Correct?

The insured value normally decreases over the years as depreciation kicks in. Here it seems that your premium continues to be based on the original value yet if you total your car they wont give you the original value only the current value - if you are lucky.

Can someone provide feedback on their experience with Pepin vehiculos insurnce in Puerto plata? how about Ban reservas? The quoted amount is similar.
    Any pitfalls to avoid?

Many thanks!

Any pitfalls to avoid?

Many thanks!
    It depends on the insurance provider. You can get 1or 5 percent deductible. The premiums go down with the age of the car.
    There are actually several attractive options that people don't know about.
    We sell these policies. Our email is [email protected] . We can quote. You are also covered in case of an accident and you have a valid foreign licence and not a Dominican drivers licence.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drperson View Post
    It depends on the insurance provider. You can get 1or 5 percent deductible. The premiums go down with the age of the car.
    We sell these policies. Our email is [email protected] . We can quote. You are also covered in case of an accident and you have a valid foreign licence and not a Dominican drivers licence.
    Can you give some clarification on the insurance coverage and legality of driving after one has been in the DR longer than 30 days with a USA state issued license?

Thank you

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    Can you give some clarification on the insurance coverage and legality of driving after one has been in the DR longer than 30 days with a USA state issued license?

Thank you
    DR law states a foreign license from a country with similar license requirements to the DR is valid for 90 days. I posted the law in another thread regarding people being illegally in the country after being here for 30 days. Yes, you can be illegally in the country after 30 days, but your foreign license can be valid up to 90 days. Another "only in the DR" situation. Insurance Kling in Sosua told another poster of the law and I looked it up. Hopefully Drperson can also verify how the insurance actually does or does not work on foreign licenses.

7. Likes Luperon liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drperson View Post

Requested a quote from you. Awaiting answer

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default car insuranc ecomparison

Thanks I didn't see your request. I will check it .
    Last edited by Drperson; 11-11-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: wrong post

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Requested a quote from you. Awaiting answer
    Sorry I didn't see you request. Can you PM me? Tks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    DR law states a foreign license from a country with similar license requirements to the DR is valid for 90 days. I posted the law in another thread regarding people being illegally in the country after being here for 30 days. Yes, you can be illegally in the country after 30 days, but your foreign license can be valid up to 90 days. Another "only in the DR" situation. Insurance Kling in Sosua told another poster of the law and I looked it up. Hopefully Drperson can also verify how the insurance actually does or does not work on foreign licenses.
    Yes I will. It is a point of concern and contention for anyone living here and driving with a foreign Licence. I have verbal confirmation from a large insurance provider and an waiting written confirmation. I should have it in a couple of days and will keep you posted.

12. Likes windeguy, Luperon liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have sent other email to the 2nd email address you gave me via PM.
    Perhaps check your spam bucket?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast