a candle and incense keeps them from my patio

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Citronella candles....

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    a candle and incense keeps them from my patio
    We’ve been burning incense for several years now, and it works!! I just bought 300 sticks of citronella incense, which I hope will be even better.

We also planted a lot of mint along the back of the house, and that helped too, mosquitos don’t like it. We started out with one little 50 peso 4” pot and now it’s a massive bush. I also make tea with it

Administrator
    DR1.com

4. Likes malko liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tranquilo_dude View Post
    The guard at my building was using some makeshift plastic bottle with a tube coming out of it that emits some type of bug repellant into the air. It has some fake synthetic "smell good" fragrance to it...
    Does it smell like vanilla?

A few people I know have a concoction using it in unmarked bottles.

They seem to believe it works, although I've not tried it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    I have had dengue and zikka ....... i still will not spray my skin with chemicals...... thank you very much.

At most, i will light one of those coil repellent thingies.
    I use a spray ,never on my skin..

7. Likes malko liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Dengue and chikungunya are a pretty big problem here.
    Three of my friends in Luperon caught chikungunya. Two survived but it took a few years to get over the complications that come with it. The other person died of complications compounded by the effects of the chikungunya. They all swear they contracted it while drinking in a bar near a black water mosquito infested area. When I’m in the campo, it take maximum precautions, in Puerta Plata and Playa Dorada I take less. I don’t use local concoctions because they could be toxic chemicals laced with a nice scent to cover the harsh chemical smell. Stick with the known products, chemical and natural. Also be aware that the mosquito coils are meant for outdoor use. They release chemicals when they burn. Don’t use them in enclosed spaces, especially bedrooms.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    Three of my friends in Luperon caught chikungunya. Two survived but it took a few years to get over the complications that come with it. The other person died of complications compounded by the effects of the chikungunya. They all swear they contracted it while drinking in a bar near a black water mosquito infested area. When I’m in the campo, it take maximum precautions, in Puerta Plata and Playa Dorada I take less. I don’t use local concoctions because they could be toxic chemicals laced with a nice scent to cover the harsh chemical smell. Stick with the known products, chemical and natural. Also be aware that the mosquito coils are meant for outdoor use. They release chemicals when they burn. Don’t use them in enclosed spaces, especially bedrooms.
    Those coils...... every night Mr AE burns two, one in the master bath and one in our bedroom, for about an hour. Screened windows open, door open, to chase out any mosquitoes that may have snuck in during the day. Then he removes the coils and shuts the door, and we later sleep with the door closed. Is this okay?

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the instructions on the box. If it says, like mine do, "Use outdoors. Cover exposed food. Avoid inhaling smoke. Remove exposed clothing. Wash hands after handling..." , you should have enough information to deduce that the burnt pesticide(s) in the smoke can cling to items such as pillows, sheets, towels, clothes hanging in closets etc. Even if the room is well ventilated before going to bed, you are spending hours in this environment with direct skin contact with sheets and blankets.

The box will list the active pesticide ingredients and any associated pesticide registration/control number. You can use this to further research the indoor effects of these specific chemicals.

While unlikely to make someone ill immediately unless you eat or smoke the stuff, pesticide residues can lead to a cumulative effect over time, be that days, weeks, months or years. Products of this nature were never intended to end up being inhaled without significant dilution in copious amounts of moving air. Similarly, depending on the pesticide/repellent used, chances are the manufacturer doesn't intend for people to cocoon themselves within fabric that has been impregnated by the off gases of the product.

So to be safe, follow the directions for the product you are using. If you choose to ignore those, then any unwanted effects are on you. If the product is intended for indoor use, the instructions will tell you how to do so safely.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 11-14-2019 at 09:48 AM.

11. Likes Ecoman1949 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Timotero View Post
    I believe I’ve read studies that say it has to do with genetics/blood type/chromosome composition, etc. mosquitoes are attracted to bite certain people. And other people seem to have a natural mosquito “repellant” in their DNA. So consider yourself lucky, city boy.

And as previously stated above, mosquitos transmit many diseases.

But as to your original query, why don’t you just ask the security guard what’s in the bottle?

Oh they bite me, they just don't bother me because I slap them and kill them, like a real man. No need to burn or spray carcinogenic chemicals in the air that will give you a nice juicy lung tumor in time.

Anyone afraid of a mosquito is a brainwashed zombie and I laugh at them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tranquilo_dude View Post
    Oh they bite me, they just don't bother me because I slap them and kill them, like a real man. No need to burn or spray carcinogenic chemicals in the air that will give you a nice juicy lung tumor in time.

Anyone afraid of a mosquito is a brainwashed zombie and I laugh at them.
    I can only say i been living here for 6yrs in Punta Cana Area and this year we are being overrun by the Mosquitos .it's insane how many are here... and they spray nightly ....I have one friend that got Dengue not a pretty thing to get....

I mean 1000 of Mosquitos.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast