Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Security & Drugs In DR.

Avoiding the discussion of whether the DR is more dangerous due to crime that other places, everyone living here needs to take basic security precautions where they live.

One must secure windows, sliding doors and regular exterior doors and keep these locked/secured at all times unless there is a need for them to be open. If windows are to be left open for ventilation they should not be open all the way and they need to be secured so they cannot be opened further or removed altogether. A simple screw or two in the window track is easy to do. A wooden dowel cut to length placed in the track of a sliding door is a good start. Best to have two sizes - one for when you wish the sliding door to be partially open and a longer one for when the door is closed such as the case would be at night.

Do not open the door for people you do not know.
    Install a peephole in solid exterior doors or install a doorbell camera.
    Use a door security bar or barricade latch in combination with a deadbolt.

There are never any guarantees against someone intent of committing crime, but you have to do the minimum or it is just too easy to become a victim. There is a reason why homes here tend to have more bars than Alcatraz.

RIP. No one deserves their fate to be determined by a nervous and unpredictable intruder.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=door+brea...ref=nb_sb_noss

2. Likes ogunjobi123, Russell liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Avoiding the discussion of whether the DR is more dangerous due to crime that other places, everyone living here needs to take basic security precautions where they live.

One must secure windows, sliding doors and regular exterior doors and keep these locked/secured at all times unless there is a need for them to be open. If windows are to be left open for ventilation they should not be open all the way and they need to be secured so they cannot be opened further or removed altogether. A simple screw or two in the window track is easy to do. A wooden dowel cut to length placed in the track of a sliding door is a good start. Best to have to sizes - one for when you wish the sliding door to be partially open and a longer one for when the door is closed such as the case would be at night.

Do not open the door for people you do not know.
    Install a peephole in solid exterior doors or install a doorbell camera.
    Use a door security bar or barricade latch in combination with a deadbolt.

There are never any guarantees against someone intent of committing crime, but you have to do the minimum or it is just too easy to become a victim. There is a reason why homes here tend to have more bars than Alcatraz.

RIP. No one deserves their fate to be determined by a nervous and unpredictable intruder.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=door+brea...ref=nb_sb_noss
    And dogs. Yappy dogs.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

4. Likes nigrarosa liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yappy dogs in an apt can be a nuisance for other residents and obviously require the owner to take them on frequent walks. For a house with a yard, for sure, a Cujo or two is a common deterrent in this country
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 11-13-2019 at 09:28 AM.

6. Likes Squat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Yappy dogs in an apt can be a nuisance for other residents and obviously require the owner to take them on frequent walks. For a house with a yard, for sure, a Cujo or two is a common deterrent in this country
    Cujo not necessary.

Bad guys don't like attention. A yappy small dog creates attention every bit as much as a security alarm.

For years we had an interesting two-dog alarm system: a yappy chihuahua for "early warning" and a 135lb. Great Dane with a deep bark for back-up "muscle."

A well-behaved chihuahua who yaps at outside noises is a decent layer of protection in an apartment. It's wise to explain to neighbors *they* also benefit from the furry alarm.

Of course, no dog will stop a hardened criminal on a mission.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

8. Likes mountainannie, mofongoloco liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    Good info. Somebody started a thread or posted very recently should I move from X gated community to a stand alone house closer to or on the beach and I think it was for Cabarete.
    Stand alone houses anywhere in the DR are a soft target. You'll need to take a lot of security precautions.

10. Likes KyleMackey, USA DOC, Squat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Bars, locked windows, free standing houses

These are the fears based on WHERE you live.

I expect Malko has no such fear

Personally, my windows are open every night and my sliding doors at the foot of my bed...about 12 ft of them.

Yup, the dogs sleep there
    4 dogs , nothing under 50lbs..... Watchman at the gate who is basically useless but employed as a deterrent.

Biggest problem w/ the open windows...
    Thunderstorms spook one of the dogs... she busts thru the screen to get the bedside.... jumps into the bedroom

Life in the tropics

All based on where you choose to live - IMO
    that dictates the lifestyle

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In an unconnected dwelling such as a villa, ladrones might be inclined to hold the occupant(s) captive for an extended period of time without much fear of being discovered. I know of two instances where a home invasion lasted for hours. One inside a gated community and one on the local economy. It would be imperative in this type of situation to keep the bad guys outside for as long as possible and have the means to drive them off before you are forced to look them in the eye.

Apartments or condos are usually burgled when there is no one home. There is a real risk that a commotion and cries for help will get the attention of neighbors. Whether or not these neighbors will come to help or investigate is another matter.

You would think that there is a greater potential for collective safety in an apartment building. Usually encounters with criminals in these dwellings escalate to physical violence much quicker as the twitchy perp attempts to control and restrain any occupants as quickly as possible to reduce the likelihood of drawing unwanted attention so they can search the place for things to take.

In either case, keeping the thugs outside and not inadvertently inviting them in is paramount. People you do not know very well should not be at your door unannounced.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Odd.... because PHL, CHI... and many other big cities see this regularly....

I live outside that circus...

My lifestyle and possessions would be recognizable in Sos/Cab.... but are moreso , in my little enclave

Yet -- I have none of the fears expressed by Sos/Cab residents.... Gringo's post(windows/doors)

It's where the lower elements of society are situated.... and that is where the soft belly is...

Hard to explain - I hope I did it in a comprehensible manner

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The pick'ins are better where the concentration of material stuff is. In the eyes of the ladrones, that doesn't seem to be Cabrera these days. The easy score is where the truly oblivious are located and they tend not to be very far removed from the familiarity of a recognizable comfort zone. Again, not really the Rio San Juan/Cabrera area.

Nothing screams break in potential louder than an empty house while the owners are away on an extended walkabout. I'm surrounded by such places where I live now. Great for me, few noisy neighbors, but these properties are pitch black at night. Who knows, maybe they have already been emptied.

I would tend to think that the more rural areas see less crime than the more central towns and tourist/expat areas. It makes sense to hunt where the ducks are. But every now and then, even Cabrera gets a wake up call. The deal is to make sure that someone else is an easier or more appealing target than yourself - as crass as that sounds.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Odd.... because PHL, CHI... and many other big cities see this regularly....

I live outside that circus...

My lifestyle and possessions would be recognizable in Sos/Cab.... but are moreso , in my little enclave

Yet -- I have none of the fears expressed by Sos/Cab residents.... Gringo's post(windows/doors)

It's where the lower elements of society are situated.... and that is where the soft belly is...

Hard to explain - I hope I did it in a comprehensible manner
    I've read chain prayers that made more sense

16. Likes sylindr liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast